Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #121

Anyone use a smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
End up handing out samples but meet some new friends as well. [emoji3]

We go to a Hope for Heroes benefit every year in Campbell Texas, small event with up and coming Texas Country artists, there’s only about 4-7 RVs depending on the weather...... last year I did 6 racks of baby backs, some boudain, hot links and jalapeños for the stage hands, one the bands showed up at our RV, my wife came out and said “these guys want some ribs” I went in, cut up some and she served them, after eating they asked “Who do we pay?”, we looked puzzled then they realized we weren’t a vendor, lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	204044
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
We go to a Hope for Heroes benefit every year in Campbell Texas, small event with up and coming Texas Country artists, there’s only about 4-7 RVs depending on the weather...... last year I did 6 racks of baby backs, some boudain, hot links and jalapeños for the stage hands, one the bands showed up at our RV, my wife came out and said “these guys want some ribs” I went in, cut up some and she served them, after eating they asked “Who do we pay?”, we looked puzzled then they realized we weren’t a vendor, lol

Attachment 204044

Hahahaha. That is awesome.
Roo-minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
People might yack it, but I like smoked hamburgers. Don’t laugh if you haven’t tried it.

Hey I’ve smoked meatloaf, jalapeños, Mac and cheese.... everything taste good smoked. Let your imagination run wild.
Okie Dokie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #124

Anyone use a smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Dokie 2 View Post
Hey I’ve smoked meatloaf, jalapeños, Mac and cheese.... everything taste good smoked. Let your imagination run wild.

You are right. I hate/don’t like the “smoked sausage” you get at Walmart...1 lb shrink wrapped... I cut in like 2” pcs and put it in a pan...bit of salt and cracked pepper... 1-1 1/2 hrs @ abt 250 and start eating. I love it this way...too long it gets mushy. One day I’m gonna smoke some bacon...I know I prolly should have already. My problem I stay with what I know, cause if I like it way change?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You are right. I hate/don’t like the “smoked sausage” you get at Walmart...1 lb shrink wrapped... I cut in like 2” pcs and put it in a pan...bit of salt and cracked pepper... 1-1 1/2 hrs @ abt 250 and start eating. I love it this way...too long it gets mushy. One day I’m gonna smoke some bacon...I know I prolly should have already. My problem I stay with what I know, cause if I like it way change?

Smoked bacon is good I have heard of people smoking hard boiled eggs and making deviled eggs out of them that is one I have yet to try but sounds yummy.
Okie Dokie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #126

This Mac n Cheese is awesome:
https://grillagrills.com/recipes/smoked-mac-cheese/
MattCrecelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCrecelius View Post

I’ve seen one that has smoked pulled pork in the Mac and cheese then that is finished in the smoker. That would be an awesome meal and I will be trying sometime.

Just made a hickory smoked meatloaf last night - yummy. Smoked some sirloins the night before that were awesome as well.

For those that don’t know, the higher the temp of the smoker the less actual smoke flavor you get into what you are cooking. So the steaks I did at 350 just had a hint that they were cooked in the smoker.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #128

My favorite method is to thaw frozen steaks on my smoker at 200 - 225 F and finish them off on the grill with a super hot sear.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #129

I have had several requests from FR owners for my smoked turkey recipe. I don't know how to send a copy of that from this website. Contact me at my e-mail address RHJKEH@aol.com, and I will be happy to send. It is a Word document.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #130

Any one played around with this little propane smoker?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbu...0216/300890556

I have a vision classic with a flame boss at the house. Love it.

I’ve considered the smaller egg types but darn it they are heavy.

Currently I have a Coleman roadtrip grill (it’s functional I guess) but really only bring it for larger outings.

I also have a smaller single burner Webber table top grill.

Both are a pain in the arse for cleaning and keeping free of grease between outings.
Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #131

There is a legendary "watering hole" here in Long Beach, CA, named "Joe Jost's" that serves the best smoked sausage and pickled eggs on this earth. I cannot get them to divulge their recipe for the sausage, but I did manage to "bootleg" a copy of the recipe for the pickled eggs. Contact me via e-mail at RHJKEH@aol.com if you would like a copy.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #132

Great ideas thanks

This thread was GREAT, everyone. Thanks for the hints and experiences. I wasn’t gonna, but now am ditching that LP grill that came on the bumper of my new coach and go with a smoker /grill combo, maybe even that Green Mountain Davey Crockett. It looks solid..
I just saw a grilled bologna recipe on one of their videos and that is definitely gonna happen on our next excursion !
BC
BernieCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Dokie 2 View Post
Smoked bacon is good I have heard of people smoking hard boiled eggs and making deviled eggs out of them that is one I have yet to try but sounds yummy.

Mmmm. I just about yacked it on the eggs. Eewweee. I don’t really care for eggs...I can eat them scrambled...occasionally i will fix a fried egg(firm) sandwich.

When I was a kid...mom would sometimes fix fried eggs and toast ewweww yolks and toast...about half the time I would yack it. I finally realized as a young adult what was making me sick in that equation and it ain’t the toast.

Paul Harvey says...you won’t ever have to fear me bothering your eggs.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #134

I have a SmokinTex 1400 that I can move relatively easily from home to our seasonal campsite, but if we ever start "life on the road" I'll be buying a SmokinTex 1100. A little smaller, but way more portable. Electric smoker, but these things are bulletproof. Stainless steel, insulated. It's a sealed unit, so no water pan needed.
Bigwalleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #135

If anyone knows this, PM me. I took off those 'legs' on the GMG smoker. Terrible idea. I just set it on the table, using a flat piece of wood under it so I don't burn the picnic tables.

But I carry it in back of truck. Now it sits on those 4 coil spring looking legs. I'd LIKE to remove them too, and maybe replace with some kind of short permanent legs. But not sure I can access it to bolt them in. I KNOW folks complained about the GMG legs, so has anyone fixed this problem? Pics would be great!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
If anyone knows this, PM me. I took off those 'legs' on the GMG smoker. Terrible idea. I just set it on the table, using a flat piece of wood under it so I don't burn the picnic tables.

But I carry it in back of truck. Now it sits on those 4 coil spring looking legs. I'd LIKE to remove them too, and maybe replace with some kind of short permanent legs. But not sure I can access it to bolt them in. I KNOW folks complained about the GMG legs, so has anyone fixed this problem? Pics would be great!
Hate the coil spring feet as well. They always catch in the truck when loading.

What do you do to catch the grease if you removed the legs?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Hate the coil spring feet as well. They always catch in the truck when loading.

What do you do to catch the grease if you removed the legs?

Ain't no grease! LOL.

Naw, the little bucket still hangs on the side. I just set the GMG on the table where the bucket will hang down off the side.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #138

Weber WSM. Set it and forget it charcoal smoker, they work great and the 18 inch model is small enough to carry but big enough to feed a nice group of people.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Weber WSM. Set it and forget it charcoal smoker, they work great and the 18 inch model is small enough to carry but big enough to feed a nice group of people.

A buddy of mine said you could not use the WSM as a grill. Is this your experience also?
Roo-minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

I replaced mine with these.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	204234
columbus 298RL
2019 Ford F-350 6.7
PineRock is offline   Reply With Quote