Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #21

"BBQ Sauce". Finally, someone uses the word (or acronym) BBQ correctly. It is an ADJECTIVE, not a verb, not a noun. You SMOKE meat. You add BBQ sauce to it after it's cooked.

Great meat needs none. Good meat needs a little. Bad meat needs a lot. Head Country from Ponca City, OK is the best I've found.

Mustard based, UGH! An aberration.

That said, there are regions for this. I love 'em all........for the meat, not the sauce.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I like to sample a lot of the local 'craft' sauces that various places make themselves, but to make things easy in the trailer, it's usually some from of Sweet Baby Rays. Family likes it, so I don't have to fight with them over my choice in sauce, and it's good enough that I don't mind it. It's also readily available.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
"BBQ Sauce". Finally, someone uses the word (or acronym) BBQ correctly. It is an ADJECTIVE, not a verb, not a noun. You SMOKE meat. You add BBQ sauce to it after it's cooked.

Great meat needs none. Good meat needs a little. Bad meat needs a lot. Head Country from Ponca City, OK is the best I've found.

That said, there are regions for this. I love 'em all........for the meat, not the sauce.
So I have been checking out your recommendation for Head Country and I may be able to get that locally.
I did find a little news note related to greed circa 2014. Interesting fight over a penny @ 1 cent a quart.
My thought is nobody can scr$w you over more than your own family. LOL...
https://kfor.com/2014/02/06/head-cou...family-recipe/
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #24
"On the road again"

Quote:

Agreed. For my smoker I bathe the brisket or ribs in brown sugar then coat liberally with paprika. Put it in the smoker...don't touch it and don't open the door for 18 hours.

Then, it takes two silicone-gloved hands to lift it out because if you put a fork into it...it's going to fall apart completely.

No sauce is necessary just the amazing natural juices.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #25

Another thumbs up for Sweet Baby Rays. I don't always use BBQ sauce, but when I do it is Sweet Baby Rays. Since I am the one that BBQ's I get to pick the sauce.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
Broken Toe

In St. Louis, it isnt BBQ without Maull's

But with that said, I am getting pretty fond of Sweet Baby Ray's

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #27

Thumbs up

we stick with Sweet Baby Ray's, any flavor, ... we've tried several of their flavors and they all get a from us, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #28
Citrus County, Fl.

I found a great BBQ sauce made in Biloxi, Mississippi called J. Lees. It's now available on Amazon. While visiting my son I took a trip to Wal-Mart and ran in to the owner who was doing a demo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_113226.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	176343   Click image for larger version

Name:	J Lees bbq sauce.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	176344  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #29

Quote:

Amen on the Head Country!
hydrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan SS View Post
Attachment 175275
A buddy of mine with roots in South Carolina turned me on to this. It’s mustard based. It’s pretty darned good.
One of my favorites. Reminds me of my Grandma Shealy!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #31

BBQ Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Since this forum covers more than a continent of FRF members and different regions have different tastes, Where are you from and what "store bought" BBQ sauce do you like?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	181028

No high fructose corn syrup and still tastes great.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:49 AM   #32

Shealys for mustard base and they make a good vinegar and pepper sauce. For sweet sauce I get Swamp Boys or Blues Hog. Usually get them online. World Market has BH but only a few brick and mortars have Swamp Boys.
Bwood BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #33

Head Country (Ponca City, OK). Refuse to use anything else.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #34

If it has to be store bought.... and I'm going from memory , Heinz had a contest a while back for different styles of BBQ Sauce . Well Pit Masters submitted their recipes and they now have 4 or 5 different types. The winners names and pics are on the label . I've tried all and all are good. I'm in the food industry and the #1 thing I look for is the list of ingredients. High Fructose corn syrup is not on the list of these.
Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #35

I like Sweet Baby Rays but my favorite store bought BBS is Mrs. Griffin's Barbecue Sauce. Its a vinegar based BBS and it's really good.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #36

If you're doing Sweet Baby Ray's, at least get the Sweet & Spicy. It goes well on chicken and pork. But put it on a cheeseburger with ketchup and mayo and WOW.

John Boy & Billy's or Tongue Tinglin' Sauce is awesome but sometimes hard to find.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #37

Selection

My parents have been visiting us at our campground for the last few days. They have been staying in one of the cabins here and have come to our camper for dinner each night. I smoked a couple of pork butts (pulled pork) for dinner last night and I didn’t sauce the whole batch like I usually do because my parents have very different pallets and everything has to be “just so”, so they were served virgin pulled pork.

I pulled out every bottle of sauce I have and put them on the counter prior to serving so they could sample and decide which way they wanted to go. I didn’t know how many different sauces I had until then, but it turned out to be 16. After sampling almost all of them, they both decided on the same sauce. It was a sauce that I didn’t even intend on putting out because it is the cheapest and smokiest (too smoky) sauce I have, and I only use it for my baked beans recipe.

Everybody has different tastes, so having a selection of sauces ensures that (almost) everybody will be happy, But the amount of sauces I keep takes up some serious real estate in my refrigerator. I need to do something about that.

Bruce

Tags
bbq