Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #21

My parents bought a large BGE a while back and rarely used it. They gave it to me and I've tried it a few times but I'm just not getting the amazing results that some seem to achieve. I'm sure it takes practice but when I read the reviews from most users, it seems to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Some folks seem to use it for EVERYTHING. I have to roll my eyes when I read someone claiming that they made the most amazing cup of tea on their BGE...

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #22

Did a pork butt this weekend on my BGE. Cooked at 225 for 15 hours. Never had to add charcoal. Love my egg.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cooked smoked a roast sunday.
Put it on at 8 am and went to town .
7 hours later came home and remove it.
Love my pellet smoker!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #24
Done with this

Yep...(waving my pellet grill flag!!)

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #25

I have a version of a Broil King Keg. It's steel and well insulated so it's not as fragile as a ceramic cooker - for about half the price.

My favorite recipe is the most simple. Get the grill up to about 700 degrees, take a fairly thick ribeye and grill it for about 3 minutes each side while sipping some of Kentucky's finest.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

hud
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #26

Big Green Eggs are wayyyyyyyyyyy out our price range of affordability......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #27

We have friends who have had their BGE for thirty years. You don't ever have to replace it like other smokers or grills. Do a search for BGE recipes and how tos and I am sure you will learn how to use your egg. We do pizzas, calzones, beans, steaks, fish, chicken, grilled okra -yum! Other grilled veggies. Wings, jalapeņo poppers, Brunswick stew, etc.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #28

I got to thinking, and I worked with my boss who is an avid smoker, so I couldn't stand it.

I got a Kamado Joe Jr last week and honestly I love it. Tried steaks the first night but I didn't stack the lump charcoal correctly, still, dinner ended up good. Then, after reading the instructions, I learned about how to stack lump, restacked what I had in there already, and in less than an hour I had a 750* fire going. So Saturday I smoked a turkey breast, nothing special, with hickory wood and a meat rub I get from a butcher in north Ga, it was simply awesome. Very easy to hold 245* for hours.

Then Sunday I used it to grill burgers with leftover bits of the hickory and they were simply the best burgers I've ever had.

I'm now wondering what I can do next, but I'm already thinking about getting the big version to leave here at the house.

Kamado Joe Ceramic Grills | Joe jr

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #29

I love my Egg. Just had some awesome ribs on mine tonight. I'm still getting the hang of it but the BGE website and YouTube helps. Too big to haul in my hybrid but I've seen one online on a cool custom cart that rolled onto a toy hauler.

I just take my Dutch oven and/or cook over the campfire.
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #30

Was going to start a new thread but think it fits ok here.

Just got into smoking at Christmas and I may be hooked. Have the weber smoky moutain 22.5 at home and have smoked brisket, Turkey, roasts and ribs a few times.

I do have a smaller smoker, cheap brand that I received as a gift from my company and planned to use it camping. Question I have is it ok to smoke while camping? These things toss a lot of smoke, that is going to cross borders for a good bit of the day. I am thinking it may not be the right thing to do in a packed campground. But I really love smoking!

Opinions please!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post

Just got into smoking at Christmas and I may be hooked. Have the weber smoky moutain 22.5 at home and have smoked brisket, Turkey, roasts and ribs a few times.

I do have a smaller smoker, cheap brand that I received as a gift from my company and planned to use it camping. Question I have is it ok to smoke while camping? These things toss a lot of smoke, that is going to cross borders for a good bit of the day. I am thinking it may not be the right thing to do in a packed campground. But I really love smoking!

Opinions please!
Take my smoker!
You'll meet a lot of "new" people when you fire up the smoker!
Smoke it and they will come! [emoji12]

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #32

If you close it up tight and keep the heat low I don't think the smoke is bothersome. But than again I enjoy it so I'm probably biased.
Some on here will tell you that campfires are a nuisance. Try to be respectful set up so the wind isn't blowing into someone's seating area, offer up some finished product, if that doesn't make them happy so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #33

Quote:

Opinions please!
Between the loud music, or kids allowed to run through sites, or as I experienced the neighbor that is huffing an inch thick cigar that smells like it was dipped in a dead possum, this time I'm going to say they can get over it. Check the conditions, try to set it up downwind and do your thing. Anyone complains toss a slice of brisket at them.

Taking my smoker along with me is one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to this camping season.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #34

smoker

Quote:

Opinions please!
Do it! Just make extra to share with the ones downwind!!!
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #35

I have 3 BGEs. One mini, one mini max and an extra large for the house. I would not cook on anything but a BGE. I have cooked almost anything you can think of on it and it has always been awesome. With the exception of my own cooking errors.
If your having a hard time getting the food to come out tasting better then it is poor seasoning or poor cooking temperature.
It does take some practice to get it right. I have cooked the same receipts on my BGE and on weber grills and the BGE food turned out far superior.
I also have a stumps professional smoker and the BGE is easier to smoke on and the food quality is great.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
I have 3 BGEs. One mini, one mini max and an extra large for the house. I would not cook on anything but a BGE. I have cooked almost anything you can think of on it and it has always been awesome. With the exception of my own cooking errors.
If your having a hard time getting the food to come out tasting better then it is poor seasoning or poor cooking temperature.
It does take some practice to get it right. I have cooked the same receipts on my BGE and on weber grills and the BGE food turned out far superior.
I also have a stumps professional smoker and the BGE is easier to smoke on and the food quality is great.
I have not heard or seen a bad review on the BGE, freinds have one and swear by them. I was not committed to smoking when I bought the weber, wanted to try it. BGE may be in my future and the Weber become the travel unit. With that said I am a weber fan with the gasser, the charcole, the mini smoky Joe at the camper and the SM. I am impressed with the SM and how well it heats, did ribs in -15 C last week and the thing worked like a champ!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #37

What amazes me is how quickly it cooks when grilling. I have only smoked with mine a few times, but thus far it's been great. I'm trying to decide what to smoke on mine next and I'm already planning on getting the XL version to leave permanently at the house.

I even made a cheesecake on mine! Lol!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #38

I am lucky to have a brother who is a BGE dealer. They have demos about twice a month and do everything from pork butt (my favorite on the BGE) to cookies and everything in between. It's no wonder he is one o the largest dealers in the southeast. When you see how well they regulate heat (the key, I'm told) you can see customers (He owns an ACE Hardware, btw) returning to buy one. People plan their Saturdays around these events, and call to find out what they are cooking that day. It's hilarious. Needless to say, people end up buying hardware while they are there, too.
catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #39

Hey Catseye - where is his shop? Seems like I'm the only one out there who gets crummy results on an egg. I'd like to watch a pro do it so I can learn how.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Hey Catseye - where is his shop? Seems like I'm the only one out there who gets crummy results on an egg. I'd like to watch a pro do it so I can learn how.

Seaboard ACE at Seaboard Station in Downtown Raleigh. The next demo that I know of is 4/12 during a vintage motorcycle show, but you can find out when the factory rep will be there by calling. That would be what I would do. There is also a guy at ACE named Josh, he's the store BGE guru. Good luck. BTW, the motorcycle show is Eurobike Raleigh | Italian | British | German | Cafe Check it out.
catseye is offline   Reply With Quote