Old 01-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #21
My parents bought a large BGE a while back and rarely used it. They gave it to me and I've tried it a few times but I'm just not getting the amazing results that some seem to achieve. I'm sure it takes practice but when I read the reviews from most users, it seems to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Some folks seem to use it for EVERYTHING. I have to roll my eyes when I read someone claiming that they made the most amazing cup of tea on their BGE...

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #22
Did a pork butt this weekend on my BGE. Cooked at 225 for 15 hours. Never had to add charcoal. Love my egg.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Cooked smoked a roast sunday.
Put it on at 8 am and went to town .
7 hours later came home and remove it.
Love my pellet smoker!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #24
Done with this
Yep...(waving my pellet grill flag!!)

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #25
I have a version of a Broil King Keg. It's steel and well insulated so it's not as fragile as a ceramic cooker - for about half the price.

My favorite recipe is the most simple. Get the grill up to about 700 degrees, take a fairly thick ribeye and grill it for about 3 minutes each side while sipping some of Kentucky's finest.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #26
Big Green Eggs are wayyyyyyyyyyy out our price range of affordability......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
We have friends who have had their BGE for thirty years. You don't ever have to replace it like other smokers or grills. Do a search for BGE recipes and how tos and I am sure you will learn how to use your egg. We do pizzas, calzones, beans, steaks, fish, chicken, grilled okra -yum! Other grilled veggies. Wings, jalapeņo poppers, Brunswick stew, etc.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #28
I got to thinking, and I worked with my boss who is an avid smoker, so I couldn't stand it.

I got a Kamado Joe Jr last week and honestly I love it. Tried steaks the first night but I didn't stack the lump charcoal correctly, still, dinner ended up good. Then, after reading the instructions, I learned about how to stack lump, restacked what I had in there already, and in less than an hour I had a 750* fire going. So Saturday I smoked a turkey breast, nothing special, with hickory wood and a meat rub I get from a butcher in north Ga, it was simply awesome. Very easy to hold 245* for hours.

Then Sunday I used it to grill burgers with leftover bits of the hickory and they were simply the best burgers I've ever had.

I'm now wondering what I can do next, but I'm already thinking about getting the big version to leave here at the house.

Kamado Joe Ceramic Grills | Joe jr
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #29
RV (Not so) Noob
I love my Egg. Just had some awesome ribs on mine tonight. I'm still getting the hang of it but the BGE website and YouTube helps. Too big to haul in my hybrid but I've seen one online on a cool custom cart that rolled onto a toy hauler.

I just take my Dutch oven and/or cook over the campfire.
Me, Wifey, Thing 1 & 2 plus Gracie the Shitzu rescue
FR Shamrock 233S 2015
2008 Tacoma Double Cab
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #30
Was going to start a new thread but think it fits ok here.

Just got into smoking at Christmas and I may be hooked. Have the weber smoky moutain 22.5 at home and have smoked brisket, Turkey, roasts and ribs a few times.

I do have a smaller smoker, cheap brand that I received as a gift from my company and planned to use it camping. Question I have is it ok to smoke while camping? These things toss a lot of smoke, that is going to cross borders for a good bit of the day. I am thinking it may not be the right thing to do in a packed campground. But I really love smoking!

Opinions please!

2015 Sandpiper 30IOK
2014 Ram 6.7 CC DRW
2006 Charger RT
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote