Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Camp Chef BBQ Box

Hi Everyone - I am looking for opinions on the Camp Chef BBQ Box with hinged lid. I have the two burner explorer stove and thought this might be a good solution over buying a stand alone grill. Does anyone have experience with one?
out_for_a_rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

A buddy of mine bought one. Limited when cooking out as you loose the burners for other stuff like corn or a boil. He takes his grill now and the BBQ box sits at home.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

I was only looking at the single burner version so I would still have one burner available. Beyond the loss of the burners did your friend like how it cooked?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Found it was OK for less greasy foods, burgers and sausage tended to flare up a bit, lean cuts cooked just fine and as well as smaller gas grills a lot use.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #5

I have the 3 burner Camp Chef and the grill box. Not my favorite. The grill box cooks very hot and flares up. I have 2 big Holland Grills at home and I am used to cooking with the lid closed and no flare ups, so it could just be operator error on my part. I have had the Big Gas Grill for 2 or 3 years now and still have issues over cooking everything. I do like the room, cooked for a crowd this past weekend at Twin Lakes CG in SC when my niece graduated from Clemson.
Just bought a Weber Q2200 for when it is just the DW and me.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Grammar Pedant

You can read lots of reviews on Amazon for the Hingeless Version BB100L and also for the Hinged Version BB30L.

When I bought my Camp Chef stove, it came with one of those cast iron griddle/grill dual purpose things. I absolutely love it. I cook bacon, sausage, hash browns, eggs, and other things on the griddle side. I "grill" chicken, burgers, and other meat on the gill side. I love the cooking power of cast iron. Here are a couple of stock photos of what I'm talking about:

With that said, I have been thinking about going with a dedicated grill box. They look nice and I like the lid. I'm not sure I need it, though.

Attached at the bottom of this post is are two live action shots of me using my griddle/grill. Best chicken I've ever grilled comes off this rig. Great grill marks on chicken and steak, if you like the cosmetic side of grilling. Also, if you haven't done so, get some side shelves. They are absolute game-changers.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130524_184213.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	171945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130525_084104.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	171946  

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
You can read lots of reviews on Amazon for the Hingeless Version BB100L and also for the Hinged Version BB30L.

When I bought my Camp Chef stove, it came with one of those cast iron griddle/grill dual purpose things. I absolutely love it. I cook bacon, sausage, hash browns, eggs, and other things on the griddle side. I "grill" chicken, burgers, and other meat on the gill side. I love the cooking power of cast iron. Here are a couple of stock photos of what I'm talking about:

With that said, I have been thinking about going with a dedicated grill box. They look nice and I like the lid. I'm not sure I need it, though.

Attached at the bottom of this post is are two live action shots of me using my griddle/grill. Best chicken I've ever grilled comes off this rig. Great grill marks on chicken and steak, if you like the cosmetic side of grilling. Also, if you haven't done so, get some side shelves. They are absolute game-changers.

Good luck.
Thanks for the good info. I do have the shelves, another nice upgrade when using a griddle is the leveling feet. I have the two burner griddle and I love it for breakfast, fajitas, stir fry, and lots of other stuff. I am looking at the BBQ because of the lid mostly, I also am a huge cast iron fan and the grill will replace a "grill" skillet.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Team

I like my BBQ Box
But I usually only have to cook for the 2 of us.

The DW hates the Camp Chef setup though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #9

We have the Big Gas Grill with the BBQ Box. We like the bbq box, but it is a PITA to clean for storage. Like others, we did have flare-ups, but it was mostly learning to control the burners.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #10

I have the exact box you want. I have only used it a couple of times as I just got all my camp chef stuff for Christmas. And I absolutely love it. Coming from a small stand alone grill this was a big upgrade in my opinion. I also have the single burner griddle. I haven’t even used it camping yet but I can say I’ll never go back to anything else.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #11

Love the camp chef set up. Have two burner grill, have flat grill for pancakes, hard to beat!
Have the 100 grill box, great for two people, do have to keep the heat shield clean or you will have flair ups. Used grill setup for about 8 years, did replace the grill box two years ago, defector had holes in it from all the use. Since we have purchased a new camper with less outside storage, did purchase a small pellet grill as I needed the storage and campers have been reduced to just the two of us.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
Boondocking Only

I have the Camp Chef Yukon a one burner two sided griddle & the grill box. I'm not sure which one we use more. Very often we use them together. Don't listen to those 2nd hand opinions that don't have one, they don't have a clue either! It is a great accessory & well worth the purchase. Oh yea & Camp Chef is hands down the leader! Great choice.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #13

I have one and like it since I can still use the second burner easily on my 2-burner Camp Chef Explorer. You do need to take care to keep the flame down -- I purchased the CC Flame Tamer and it makes all the difference. Burgers and hot dogs don't get burned up and I found cleanup easier as well. Because of the Flame Tamer, I think I could do grilled corn on the cob, which I'll try this year.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #14

I love mine, but I have a 3 burner. I use the third for the dutch oven to fry french fries.

I've found that you must turn the burner down as low as it will go. You may even need to restrict the bottle some.

I also add soaked wood chips in mine to cool down the heat spreader. (and to provide the tasty smoke)
2017 Flagstaff HW27KS
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2 burner stove, single burner BBQ Box, single burner griddle, and their Corn pot. Here's what I've learned over the years:

1) You can't use the 2 burner wind deflector and the BBQ Box at the same time, they interfere with each other. Makes it difficult to BBQ some chicken while boiling up some corn if it's too windy. Need to position the stove the use the trailer as a wind break in that case.

2) Unlike a standard BBQ that you start on high to quickly burn off and then regulate the temp down, the way the heat diffusers work on the BBQ Box and Griddle you need to start low and let them warm up to get an even heat. (Took me a while to learn that one.)

3) The BBQ box will flare up, especially if DW likes to buy sausages stuffed with cheese that leaks out. Keep a spray bottle of water on hand to handle them.

4) Unless you're just making scrambled eggs, you need to make sure the griddle is perfectly level. Preferably, also use some egg rings.

5) The Weber DW bought for me takes up 1/4 the space of all the Camp Chef stuff.

I loved the versatility options of Camp Chef, but given our usage patterns and the limited space in the new trailer, I couldn't justify to keep bringing it with us. I haven't gotten rid of it yet in hopes to bring it along for at least some camps, but now that's going to be regulated to only known trips where I'm sure I'm going to use it, and then, it's going to have to ride in the bed of the truck.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #16

Interesting that I find this thread since I bought the Camp Chef 3 burner stove, two burner grill box & 3 burner griddle over the winter but haven't used them yet. I love the Camp Chef stuff, it's built well, heavy duty materials with quality construction but that does come at a price, it's heavy & bulky.

I also have a Weber Q220 but have never been pleased with the performance even after replacing the burner last year, plenty of people love it though so take it with a grain of salt. The benefit of the Weber vs the Camp Chef is the grease catch tray with replaceable tin foil trays in the Weber. I bought the BBQ box but don't think it's the best design, I haven't used it yet but it looks like flare ups & greasy messes will be a concern. I'm bringing it all on our next trip for testing purposes so will report back then!
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #17

As an update I finally used my Camp Chef set up last week. I bought the 16” three burner Pro 90X, the full 36” griddle & the BBQ box with all the transport bags and..... it’s all quality but too big, too bulky, too heavy & too hot. Can’t believe I’d ever say this but three 30k burners is way too much power/flame/heat. I was able to work with it but the burners are barely lit to be a useable flame.

In retrospect I should have bought the Pro 60X, two burner 14” set up & while still too much btu output at least it would be lighter, easier to manage & store. Again, not a knock at all against Camp Chef just way too big for my use & unfortunately I’m in way too deep financially at this point to sell unless I take a pretty big loss. I’m using it all again this weekend but thinking I may just stick with the griddle & put a Webber Jumbo Joe kettle grill on top of the griddle for bbq work & keep the griddle for breakfast, smash burgers & stir fry. Or I’ll sell all the Camp Chef stuff AND the Webber Q220 & start over from scratch, the wife will just love that!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #18

Are any of you interested in selling the camp chef products your not happy with?
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #19

I'm probably going to sell the BBQ box & case but even though I still have the original packaging I'm not sure it's a smart idea to ship it.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
Are any of you interested in selling the camp chef products your not happy with?

I might be willing, but I wouldn’t ship it. If you’re ever in Ontario, let me know.

Tags
bbq