Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Camp meals for 2

Myself and the Mrs will be taking our annual trip to Charlotte NC in late Oct. this year the trip is going to be different than past as we are taking 2 weeks to travel. 700 miles each way. We are looking for travel day meals( we plan on driving 6-7 hours than stopping) and at the destination meals (the track at Charlotte for the world finals) while in charlotte we plan on seeing sights etc and would like easy to prepare easy to clean up type dishes. Now for the kicker I need them to be healthy or at least on the healthy side, The bacon explosion posted on here looks great but I had a gripper followed by quadrople bypass and im not sure which would kill me quicker the bacon or the Mrs. any suggestions / recipies would be appreciated. I can try them at home here before the trip.
Thanks in advance
Ken

ktman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #2

How to heat

How do you plan to cook/ Inside on the stove and oven? Outside on the gas grill or on a wood fire?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Mr. Honda

If you bring the 'genny' along for the ride, you should be able to cook like you are at home. (i.e. microwave) The dietary restrictions are not a limitation based on rv restrictions.

Cooking on the road can be like cooking at home.... if your dietary needs require.

We use the grill, open fire and rv burners (and Dutch Oven) to cook a majority of our meals.

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #4

We plan on cooking on the outdoor grill, Dont use the indoor cooktop / oven that much. Sorry I guess I should have provided that info in original post.
Thanks
Ken
ktman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

Have you tried using a slow cooker. The DW and I will put a meal in the slow cooker and go sight seeing. When we get back to the TT a hot meal is waiting for us. You can use liners in the slow cooker to help with clean-up.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #6

We actually eat healthier in the RV than we do at home. We use the crock pot, the grill and our smoker constantly. I don't make pies, breads and cakes as much as at home so we eat a lot less fat on the road. Grill a lean meat, grill a vegetable and a salad. YUM
warmfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

Look in your local grocer for individual prewraped servings of chicken, salmon, etc., these can be kept frozen and thawed as needed and don't take up much freezer space. Some of the chicken is even pre-marinated. These cook up quick and no fuss on the grill, along with salad and veggie will meet your healthy requirement. The salmon can be marinated with a bottle merinade i.e. Dill/Lemon in a freezer bag while they thaw.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #8

I have a stand by for quick called big o'l mess really good and easy alumium foil pan
your choose on heat source (i use charcoal grill but can go in oven just as easy or on stove top)
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 jalapeno (if desired)
1 link favorite smoked sauage (I prefer a course ground more texture 50/50 or 60/40 beef and pork not so much fat content)\
1 10oz sweet and sour sauce (found with chinese food stuff)
As much louisanna hot sauce as you like for favor

then you just wedge the onion, ring or cut peppers into strips, cut sausage on bias for presention, add jalapenos, mix to distrubute, cover in sweet and sour add hot sauce.

cover pan with foil cook until sausage is done or precook sausage to desireed doness only about 45 minutes to 1 hour on charcoal grill about same in oven (never have done on top of stove friend has said it works too)

1 bag of boil in bag rice

serve over rice

good with a resling wine but for me cold ber is just as good

looking forward to reply let me know how it was
wood family 77437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #9

A really quick meal that my family likes is to get a can of vegetable soup, a pound of ground turkey or 93/7 ground beef and after the meat is cooked, mix together and simmer. Also, plenty of meats are more lean when they are grilled vs fried
BCFDFFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
RV Newbie

Ramen Soups! Love them. We buy them at a local discounter for about 20 cents a serving. They come in a light weight package, no can, and you just add water. About five minutes to make.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Get a FoodSaver or similar product. Make sure it has a setting for moist foods. Cook whatever at home between now and when you leave. Seal and freeze. Sauces and such can be first frozen in a suitable size container, then popped out and vacuum sealed as usual. Put the bags for a given meal in refer to thaw two days before you want to consume the meal. Reheat unopened bags in simmering water and it will come out like it was just cooked. No fuss, no muss and no surprises.

When you take care to freeze the packages so they are flat, you can fit a surprising number of meals in even a six cubic foot RV refrigerator freezer.

Of course the meals for the first 6-7 days can just go in the RV refrigerator. Those for the first couple of days pre-thawed at home and those for days 3-7 thawing in the RV refer while you travel. Start transferring the still frozen meals from the freezer as needed.

I do the above with good success when I know we will be traveling from campground to campground and don't want to be bothered with having to stop for food and cooking.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #12

Walmart sells frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in 5 lb bags. Throw a couple on your grille they cook in about 15 minutes. Put them whole between some wheat bread with veggies and low fat mayo, some baked chips- way cheaper than subway. Or slice them up in to strips and have them in corn or wheat tortillas- not flour. Pour some pace picante sauce on them. This is my routine when I BBQ, I love beef but try to eat it sparingly.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote