Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #1

Campfire Treat - Woofems

My DH stumbled upon a new campfire treat idea on Pinterest, which worked wonderfully! Everyone who tries them loves them and they are so easy to make. Basically, you take refrigerator biscuits (such as Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits, small size, NOT flaky) and wrap them over the end of a dowel and toast them over the hot coals, just like you would a marshmallow. When they are done you pull them off and fill them with pudding or pie filling. You then top them with whipped cream. You then have a little hand pie that is delicious and fun to eat! I will let DH post the details about how to make the Woofem sticks and how to prepare them for toasting the Woofems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Woofem_photo.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	81706  

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

Mmmm!!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

I guess you just (Woof em Down)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
I will let DH post the details about how to make the Woofem sticks and how to prepare them for toasting the Woofems.
What a ripping idea!! I would certainly be interested in what he does to prep his sticks. I could certainly see some stuffed with chili a little melted cheese.

Thanks for sharing, Gator.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
What a ripping idea!! I would certainly be interested in what he does to prep his sticks. I could certainly see some stuffed with chili a little melted cheese.

Thanks for sharing, Gator.
That is a great idea! You could top with a little cheddar cheese. We have also thought of filling them with sausage and cheese, or, if you like eggs, scrambled eggs with sausage would work well too. We used Comstock blueberry and cherry pie fillings, which were delicious. Let's see what other kinds of fillings folks come up with.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I guess you just (Woof em Down)? Youroo!!
Yep! That's where they got their name!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Had these a couple of weeks ago - my sister-in-law made sticks for all 10 of us on the trip. Sticks are the length of a normal hot dog roasting stick. The handle is simply a 3/8 or 1/2 inch dowel rod. The working end is a 1 or 1 1/4 inch dowel approximately 5 inches long. Drill an appropriately sized hole in one end of the large dowel, insert "handle" with a smidge of glue (or pressure fit if your hole is the right size).

Prior to using, she read to soak in vegetable oil to prevent sticking. We did with and without soaking and it seemed to work fine either way. Regardless of soaking or not, we got better results spraying with cooking oil prior to putting the biscuit on.

To cook, press the biscuit out nice and flat. Place it centered over the end of the stick. Gently pull the dough down to fully cover the large dowel. Keeping the "WOODEN" stick out of direct flame, heat until nice and golden brown.

Hope that is helpful. . .and yes, they are delicious either with sweet or savory fillings.
Brian

Sorry - no pics yet. Will try to get some next trip out.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Thanks for the details, Brian. Kevin made the dowel sticks pretty long so you don't have to get too close to the fire. He soaked the working ends in oil and then we spray them with Pam. We have to keep smoothing the biscuit down over the stick because it wants to recoil some. It sounds like yours are rather long, if you pull it down all the way to the end of the dowel. Ours end up being about two to three inches long. We will have to try them "dry" to see if it makes a difference.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

I'm all about good eats. Glad to contribute.
ProPride Hitch
Old 06-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #10

Wow, cool idea, thanks for posting. I googled it and found this.

WoofEms
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #11

We bought something similar called "wompum sticks". I can't remember where we got them but when we tried it we couldn't get the dough to cook right. We may have been using the wrong biscuits. I think we shall try this again. Looks good.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #12

Just roast them over hot coals like you would a marshmallow. Keep smoothing out the dough as you cook it. Take your time with them. They take longer than marshmallows. Toast a spot, then rotate it to the other spots until they are golden brown.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #13

Hey, Gator. I think I must have done something wrong. I had to go into town for a part for my dish and a water run. I was really excited about trying a "woofems". KMIW When the day is winding down and you get a little itch in the gullet for something or other, but you don't want to dirty a pan just for a couple tablespoons of leftovers.

So "woofems" have been on the brain.

I picked up what they had at the grocery there. It was a Grands Homestyle Southern Biscuit. That's the right kind isn't it? The ones where you peel back some of the paper and knock it on a hard surface and the thing explodes, right?

They went over the dowel alright, but as soon as they started turning brown they started to fall off in layers into the fire. Is there something else you need to do to keep keep them together? I figured a store dough wouldn't take much heat so I kept a medium low set of coals, danged if I could keep them on the stick.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #14

Yep, that's what happened to us. We tried a couple of brands with the same result. They did brown up nicely when they hit fire though.:-)
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #15

We call them Campfire Canolis! They get better as the sticks become seasoned, yum, although we use plain Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. We'll have to try the biscuits.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:51 AM   #16

I recommend Don't use flakey biscuits. The cheaper the better. Also get the Small ones that are like 8 or 10 per tube, not jumbo size.
ProPride Hitch
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #17

CampingGator thanks for the idea and strat56 thanks for that link,

the link shows exactly how to make them, but what about this:

we have the original two prong long-handled metal camping forks for roasting marshmallows and hotdogs, I'm thinking of trying this: ......getting just the large 1 1/4" wooden dowel, make the pieces, drill a smaller hole that would be a firm press fit onto the prongs and using the metal camping fork for the handle...... If that doesn't work I can always enlarge the small hole, buy the wooden dowels and go that route........ If that does works, it can make two at a time, but also might need to drill the small hole off center a little to separate the two wooden pieces enough to allow two biscuits to cook without swelling into each other................anyway, thanks for the idea
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Yep, that's what happened to us. We tried a couple of brands with the same result. They did brown up nicely when they hit fire though.:-)
Did you ever get it sorted? I'm no biscuit guru, but not ready to give up just yet.

What kind isn't a flaky biscuit? I saw the Pillsbury Grand ones that say "flaky" in the name, so I got the other ones, but yeah.. as soon as they started browning it was a lost cause.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

We did it different as we would rap the biscuit dough with bacon then roast over the fire. Better for ya. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #20

looks like the biscuits falling off is a real problem and that's easy to see how they could, with nothing there to keep that from happening. ..... Skewers!......short stainless steel skewers stuck thru the dough, into a small drilled hole, drilled across the wooden piece. That would prevent falling off, would be removed before pulling the biscuit off and would only leave a small hole in both sides of the biscuit cup.......The skewers that I've found on Amazon range from 10" to 12" and could be easily cut in half, because full length is too long to mess with, mainly because I'll be trying this idea with the two prong campfire fork idea that I mentioned in post #17 above.
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote