Old 05-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
If the crawfish boiler is anything like a turkey fryer, they are very dangerous. It also takes a lot of oil. A good cast iron skillet will take less oil and you just flip the fish over for the second side.

Simple beer batter recipe:
4 heaping tablespoons of flower
4 heaping tablespoons of corn flower
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 tablespoon of baking soda
Garlic powder to taste
Salt to taste optional
Italian seasoning or Mrs Dash optional
1/2 can of beer approximate (can substitute milk, condensed milk, or water)

Mix dry ingredients together in appropriate size dish (about the size of a pie plate) and add the beer until the mixture drips off the fork easily. Wash the fish and then tamp off excess moisture with paper towels. Heat the oil in a pan or fryer. Flick a drop of water on the oil and when the water starts to pop, the oil is hot enough. Stand back so you don't get splashed. Dip the fish in the batter, drain off the excess, place it in the oil and fry until golden brown. With a fry pan, you will have to flip it to brown the other side. Remove the fish and place on paper towels to remove the excess oil and serve.

Most recipes do not include the baking soda, but the backing soda will brown quicker and the fish does not have to be overdone. We do all of our fryer cooking with canola oil. And we never use salt. Cooking time is 4-5 minutes.

Note: If you use an electric fryer, set the temperature to 400 degrees. It takes a liter of oil and can be reused. When the light goes out, the oil is hot. You can cook 3-4 pieces at a time. By the time you have the last piece in fryer, the first piece will be about ready to come out. You may also have to turn the fish to equally brown on both sides. Keep rotating through until all the fish is done. It doesn't take long in a deep fryer.

Fries are pretty simple. Cut up precooked potatoes (skins on) and brown them in oil like American fries.

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #12
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
We are heading out later this month after the kids get out of school for a 4 day trip. They have recently taken to Fish....catching and eating. I have wild dreams of lugging stringers of crappie back to camp for dinner (not likely) and frying them up like we used to do years ago. Question, anyone ever deep fry with their dutch ovens? I debated on getting one of those propane burners and pots for crawfish boils and what not for home use.... but it feels like just something else to pack and take camping. Opinions?
I have deep fried fresh caught fish in my dutch oven and it worked just fine. I also have one of the aluminum pot with a basket in it that I use on a propane camping stove andthat also works great. The dutch oven is heavy and adds a few pounds to your camper! good luck and enjoy!!!

Dave & Elaine
Brookfield, WI
2016 Rockwood, ROO 21SS, pulled by a 2015 F150 XT, Super Cab, 2.7L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 6-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Tow package & integrated trailer brake. 7,600 lb. tow capacity. 145 wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #13
Use it on camp chief all the time. Also get a potato slicer great fries
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
Cast iron is great to fry in. The deeper the better, less splatter. Don't wash it, just dump the old grease, wipe down with paper towel, voila.........done.

Crappie is why I live. The rest is just gravy.
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #15
Another plus about deep frying in a cast iron dutch oven is that all that oil keeps the oven well seasoned. Won't rust that way. We use our for that all of the time.
2001 Chevy Silverado
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
rbq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Dutch ovens work great as a fryer. Back when I was a Scoutmaster I would hold a one day event every September for the new scouts who had just joined the troop and had little or no outdoors experience. I would have older scouts work with them on things like knot tying, firebuilding, map & compass and other outdoor skills. While they were working on that I would get the charcoal going, dump a large can of Crisco into the dutch oven and get it heating up. I would bring half a dozen cans of Poppin Fresh dough biscuits too. Pop open the biscuits, cut each one into quarters and roll them into a ball. Once the Crisco melted and was hot, carefully drop the dough balls into the fat and let them fry until golden brown. Out of the fat and into a paper bag that had a couple cups of sugar and cinnamon in it for a quick shake. Voila, donut holes. I'd pass them out to the new scouts as a demonstration of something you can cook and enjoy without having mom's stove and oven. None of them ever turned their noses up at them and I never had to take any home...even if I wanted to.

As others have mentioned, using the dutch oven as a fryer helps to season it and keep the seasoning with the heated oil in it.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Denmark, ME & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #17
Frying in the dutch oven can be fun and add to the recipes for camping. You can get a nice frying basket made just for dutch ovens. I got mine at Bass Pro shop. We made deep fried bacon and cheddar macaroni and cheese balls at a recent Scout Campout and took the first prize in the cooking contest. mmm some beer battered fried halibut might be appropriate this weekend.

akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote