Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #1

Charcoal Grill..transporting, best charcoal, how to light?

I didn't grow up in a family that grilled out. I think I remember maybe 3 times, if that, growing up. And that includes aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends even.

So I've been winging it...and usually not so well.
Tried a gas grill..didn't see the point. Tasted like it was cooked inside.

So school me on what charcoal to use and how to light it. And maybe how much to use and how to store it so it 'works' next time.
Seems I use 1/2 bag and 1/3 bottle of fluid...lots of work and expense for a couple of burgers and dogs.

I have a grille...two actually. A weber 'type' (bowl like with a lid, vents on the bottom/sides and lid) and a hibachi.

Next is how to transport them when camping so as not to make a huge f'n mess!

TIA.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #2

I use kingfords match light. It already has lighter fluid in it. I usually light it and let the coals start to turn white. Takes about 10-15 minutes and it's ready. Not sure how much to use it all depends on how big your grill is and how hot u want your grill.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

So school me on what charcoal to use and how to light it. And maybe how much to use and how to store it so it 'works' next time.
Seems I use 1/2 bag and 1/3 bottle of fluid...lots of work and expense for a couple of burgers and dogs.
You will find a plethora of grill masters here on the forums. It's kind of like child-rearing, as everyone has their own and set ways. Not necessarily better (or worse), just what does good for their individual likings.

You may also want to use Matchlight charcoal and save on transporting lighting fluid.

Here is a link for the basics, and I'm sure others will chime in. A chimney starter sure speeds thing up in my experience.

Charcoal Grilling Tips for a Perfect BBQ | Kingsford

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #4

For just a few burgers and dogs, I'd use the hibachi with only a couple of handfuls of "lump" charcoal which could easily be lit with a couple of paper towels drizzled with cooking oil.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

When I used charcoal I lined the bottom of the kettle with two layers of foil (poke hole for vent) I let is cool off and then wadded up the foil and tossed it.
Scrub the grate while it is still hot and then spray with nonstick stuff.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Always Learning

I'm generally not exactly sure what I'm doing when it comes to grilling- but I most recently have used the match light stuff with the lighter fluid baked into it. Before that, I used the chimney thing like wmtire mentioned.

One thing is for sure- never try to add lighter fluid after the fire is going. I got singed knuckles from that dumba-- move.

I think I usually use too much charcoal, but I'd rather raise the food up from the grill for less heat than run out of heat midway through cooking.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

I have been using the Matchlight ,which is simple put the charcoal in a pit in a pile and light it in a couple of places towards the bototm of the pile.
But it is expensive per bag. Yesterday at Sams I bought 2 20 lbs. of charcoal for $ 17.98 and purchased a large chimeney at Lowes for $14.96.
I will try this out this coming weekend. I have read were you put old newspapers underneath the chimeny to light thte charcoal.
Cajun Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

We've used the chimney for years - works great, but you have to budget enough time to get it started, because it's definitely longer than just having a gas grill.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #9

I have a small webber kettle - a table top model. I use the regular Kingsford charcoal. At home I use the chimney and it works great. Just a little newspaper underneath at give it 20 minutes or so. For camping, I just use a little lighter fluid on a small pile of regular Kingsford charcoal in the middle of the grill. Once it gets going, I spread the coals out and put the top grate on. I found a small bin to carry the charcoal in and I dump the ashes in the firepit when I'm done and then just set both the grill and the charcoal in the back of the truck.

I like the convienience of a gas grill, but for some things, its just not the same without the charcoal.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #10

Chimney!

I use a chimney starter as well. I use the shavings from our paper shredder. Some will use dried leaves and a few broken twigs to get the charcoal going. Before I would use the lighter fluid but the meat would have that aftertaste. Not anymore! Always better to use too much charcoal than not enough. If I have the time, charcoal. If I don't, gas grill. But to me, charcoal has a far superior flavor over gas.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #11

I use a chimney also; Kingsford charcoal brickets buy on all major holidays from Lowes or Home depot; they both run specials - 2/20# bags for $12.00; I usuall buy 60 - 80# at a time.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #12

As a very avid home cook....have not ventured into the world of comp BBQ my go to bag of charcoal is Kingsford Blue. Its constant and readily available even within most small towns we travel to with the RV

Funny you bring this topic up...I recently decided to purchase the Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV to replace the heavy, pron to blow out Weber Q. I like the Weber Q but its limiting on what you can cook on it. Any marinaded meats...forget it as it there is no real way to indirectly cook on this unit. It also does not get hot enough for me. If you are doing just brats, dogs and burgers it is a great grill.

The jumbo joe is a little taller but still fits into my pass through storage and is big enough at 18" dia to cook pretty much everything. I cooked for some buddys on it last weekend at a NASCAR event and it was able to cook 10 chicken legs, 6 thighs all indirectly and with a oil/vinegar marinade.

To light the coals, i cut the bottom out of a large coffee can and snake my JAJA fire starter in to the bottom vent. I have grown accustomed to the nomex or welding gloves around the grill so I just lift the can out and viloa! I am going to do a write up on my Blog about this grill depending on what is on the menu for this weekends trip. Still planning.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #13

Walmart has 2 20 lbs for 9.99.
I use the kingsford charcoal I use a chimney device that you put in how ever much charcoal u plan to use
Then you crumple up newspaper and put underneath the coal light the paper and when the coal is ready dump it in your grill usually 20-30 mins
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The Weber chimney, kingsford charcoal (not matchlight), and 2 pcs of newspaper, does the trick every time. I use this method for dutch oven cooking.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #15

I use to use a gas grill / charcoal grill ,, but ran across a treager wood pellet grill that used food grade wood pellets,it is so easy to use store,clean,just load it with pellets turn it on smoke or the temp of choice and just cook,when done set it on shutdown and in about 10 minutes you can put it in the storage spot as it is cooled down ,,check it out on youtube or at treager grills.com we have the small one I think it is called the tailgater.
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #16

regular Kingsford with a chimney and Weber lighter cube works every time. No lighter fluid required
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #17
Always Learning

As for transport- the outside of mine stays clean enough that it lives in the basement of my fiver.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
I use a chimney also; Kingsford charcoal brickets buy on all major holidays from Lowes or Home depot; they both run specials - 2/20# bags for $12.00; I usuall buy 60 - 80# at a time.
glad its not just me. I had 100lbs of charcoal in my garage last Memorial day
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I think I had about as much!

One thing about the chimney/kingsford blue... when you run out of charcoal in the kingsford bag, tear the bag down and use it instead of newspaper. It becomes a perpetual thing - run out of charcoal, you have an empty bag to use. Run out of the bag you're tearing down, you'll have a new empty bag shortly. Just separate the layers of the empty bag.

And I also agree with the others, I'd rather have to much charcoal burning, than not enough. I've been grilling for years and still wind up with more than I need.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Amateurs! I bought a pallet of Royal Oak lump for my gravity feed BBQ pit and about 200# of Kingsford Blue Bag for grilling.

I have never nor will I ever use lighter fluid. I use a charcoal chimney religiously and like mentioned above I'll use old newspaper and also the bag from the charcoal. Heck, there's 3 layers of paper on the Kingsford bag to use. The charcoal sales should just about be starting at the home improvement stores and Walmart, stock up and keep it fry. For camping I usually haul a 22" Weber kettle that has pins holding the legs on. I take the legs off and store it in the back of the truck. It's not the greatest setup but I'm not sure I would get by with a smaller one. To light it I always use a full Weber chimney starter and usually run with all the vents wide open. Happy Cooking!!

Tags
light, sport