Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Censored Member

Condiments for the Camper

I’m sure I’m not the only one that does this but over the winter when I go to a fast food restaurant I always bring a few of those condiment packets home with me. By the time travel season begins again I have a good supply of ketchup, mustard, and miracle whip for my trailer. I never have to worry about forgetting to pack condiments. My salt and pepper shakers stay in the trailer all season so I don’t bother saving those packets.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

So you are 'that guy' that takes all the packs from the bin.
I refuse to open up all those little packs just to get a smidgen of ketchup or condiment which is never enough anyway. Yep, I'm lazy.

We never turn off our fridge, so our big bottles stay in the camper.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 03-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
WFD

I don't do that for the house so why would I for the trailer? I think a couple bucks on jars of condiments won't hurt me and would rather have a bottle in the fridge, than several packs sitting in a drawer...Heck...why not take spare toilet paper rolls from restaurant bathrooms and throw those in your trailer too?...or toothpicks, or napkins....
Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Team

I suggest if you are going to do this that you discard all of them when you winterize and start over during the winter for the next season. These packets do not last forever and it is hard to identify the older ones if they are all kept in the same container.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

I only do fast food about once a year...that one trip leaves a strong enough impression to last me until the next year.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I don't do that for the house so why would I for the trailer? I think a couple bucks on jars of condiments won't hurt me and would rather have a bottle in the fridge, than several packs sitting in a drawer...Heck...why not take spare toilet paper rolls from restaurant bathrooms and throw those in your trailer too?...or toothpicks, or napkins....
Don't get your panties in a bunch and get off your self-righteous horse. It's not about saving money, it's about having condiments in the trailer when you want them. Toilet paper, toothpicks, napkins and such stay in the trailer the year round. Geez, some people.

Many years ago I always brought the condiments from home but on more than one occasion I forgot to pack them. In those instances I would have to drive to a store (sometimes a great distance) to buy them. One of my forgetful years I ended up with a refrigerator full of bottles of ketchup and mustard.

And yes, at the end of every travel season any left over packets get tossed.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #7

We solved that problem by going full-time. Just keep the pantry stocked. 🤠
Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
Don't get your panties in a bunch and get off your self-righteous horse. It's not about saving money, it's about having condiments in the trailer when you want them. Toilet paper, toothpicks, napkins and such stay in the trailer the year round. Geez, some people.

Many years ago I always brought the condiments from home but on more than one occasion I forgot to pack them. In those instances I would have to drive to a store (sometimes a great distance) to buy them. One of my forgetful years I ended up with a refrigerator full of bottles of ketchup and mustard.

And yes, at the end of every travel season any left over packets get tossed.

The packets are also great for saving weight and space.

No, I don’t grab excess packets, FF restaurants are always too generous. I don’t throw them out. I save them for the camper.

And, yes, the other poster has a great point. They don’t last forever. Throw them out after about a year.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Psstt..... Don't tell anyone, but my DW takes the jelly from Cracker Barrel...
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 03-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Psstt..... Don't tell anyone, but my DW takes the jelly from Cracker Barrel...
Sounds kinda like my mother-in-law! She will dump the whole jelly container and every packet of sweetener/butter that is on the table.... in her purse! I just don't get it. I try and ignore it, as it just isn't worth it. So we leave extra tip. I did shame her into putting the silverware back on the table once. Geesh. At least DW knows why I usually have other things to do when we get invites to eat out with her
Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So you are 'that guy' that takes all the packs from the bin.
I refuse to open up all those little packs just to get a smidgen of ketchup or condiment which is never enough anyway. Yep, I'm lazy.

We never turn off our fridge, so our big bottles stay in the camper.
I wouldn't want to defrost the freezer before I could go anywhere after the WINTER is over. Isn't this a problem when you leave the fridge on all the time?
Shamrock 21SS
Old 03-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #12

We do this with jelly too...it is just making good use of all the extra packs the fast food places throw in the bag. At least this way, it is not going to waste.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennypoppins View Post
I wouldn't want to defrost the freezer before I could go anywhere after the WINTER is over. Isn't this a problem when you leave the fridge on all the time?
We are lucky and live in an area of the country where we can RV year round. And now that we are retired, we never unpack the RV as we are using it a lot.

As far as defrosting the freezer; in six years I think we have had to defrost it three times. Usually, I think the cause was we didn't have much in it. Not really a problem.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sounds kinda like my mother-in-law! She will dump the whole jelly container and every packet of sweetener/butter that is on the table.... in her purse! I just don't get it. I try and ignore it, as it just isn't worth it. So we leave extra tip. I did shame her into putting the silverware back on the table once. Geesh. At least DW knows why I usually have other things to do when we get invites to eat out with her
it's a right of passage.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #15
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Heck...why not take spare toilet paper rolls from restaurant bathrooms and throw those in your trailer too?...or toothpicks, or napkins....
Huh! Now there's an idea....

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 03-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #16

Actually it is easy even without going to fast food places. Ordered them from Amazon....

Bag containing bunch of ketchup, mustard, mayo packets. Even have them with relish etc.

Just the two of us so it works great. When we are not camping we bring them in and use in the house.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #17

[QUOTE
Heck...why not take spare toilet paper rolls from restaurant bathrooms and throw those in your trailer too?...or toothpicks, or napkins....[/QUOTE]

Most of this won’t work...

Some places have those mondo sized TP rolls...or a lock on there.
Toothpicks at the cash register...they might frown on it.
If we get more napkins than we use...I stick them in my pocket. Me or someone else either needs a Kleenex or dribbles something in the truck.

All said in fun...of course.

Besides. We don’t eat out much and would prolly run out if we camped much.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Ordered them from Amazon....

Bag containing bunch of ketchup, mustard, mayo packets. Even have them with relish etc.

Excellent information... I never would have thought of this. Thank you.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Excellent information... I never would have thought of this. Thank you.

I’ll tell the DW you said thanks. She found them looking around one night. [emoji3]
Old 03-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #20
3boxerss

I bought two of the Travel size shampoo containers from Walmart and Just refill them with ketchup and mustard from the big containers in the house..

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
Closed Thread

Tags
camper