Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Cooking for a large group(HELP)

I am going camping with I think 5 families ,All ma and pa's and approx.12 children. I have cooked for large groups at home many a times but never in the wilderness with none of my regular stuff. Anyone have any good ideas for this. We are all responsible for a dinner and a breakfast, Lunchs are your own. Who on here has the best idea? Preferably something I can make ahead of time and heat up there, ofcourse I am not sure how good the oven is in my camper, its a brand new rockwood but I have never used it. Thx for any help

Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Beef and noodles!
Anything for the crock pot thats simple and easy !

Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

A couple of breakfast ideas are Biscuits and Gravy. Make the gravy up ahead of time then warm it up in crock pot and use Grands biscuits and make them fresh in the morning. My wife has also googled a couple of recipes for a crock pot breakfast. She puts it going a few hours ahead and its done.

Good luck.
Let us all know what you are cooking and where you are camping and maybe you will be cooking for alot more!!! lol
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchenzzi View Post
Preferably something I can make ahead of time and heat up there, ofcourse I am not sure how good the oven is in my camper, its a brand new rockwood but I have never used it. Thx for any help
I totally understand your predicament. I am the man on the grill at our local geocaching event outings where we usually feed 50 to 75 people. I'm always looking for fast, easy, and tastes good......and will be following this thread.

I have had good responses from pre-cooked BBQ pulled pork from Sam's Club. It's already cooked and in an aluminum tray. You put these on a grill to defrost/heat them up. Peel back the foil and stir a time or two and that's all you have to do. Just serve with hamburger buns, chips, and maybe a big jar of pickle spears. It's real easy and they taste pretty good.

Byron'sģ Fully Cooked Pork BBQ - 64 oz. - Sam's Club

We usually average about 15 sandwiches per tray....but depends on how big the buns are. You can always give it a test run at your house to see if the family likes it.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
NELA

For dinner;

Are you good at making home made spaghetti meat sauce? That's easy to make in large quantities, and you can even cook the pasta in advance...just put it in ziplock bags and keep it chilled, then when you want to heat it, add a tablespoon of water, open the zipper about an inch and microwave it until hot.

Garlic bread can be prepped ahead of time, then slap it on the grill.

For breakfast...ever made breakfast casserole? That's *very* easy for big crowds...if you want the recipe I can give ya a link.

Actually for the spaghetti you could throw the pasta into the sauce.

Sausage gravy! That works too!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

My meatballs usually go over well at potlucks. Make at home and freeze to be reheated or make them in a crockpot at the campground. Buy decent quality frozen mini meatballs. Costco or anywhere. I'm in Canada so doubt my favourites will help you! Put them in a crockpot with a sauce made of a bottle of chili sauce and a half jar of grape jelly. Yes, grape jelly. Put on low and let them simmer all day. Serve with egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. I use about a two pound bag of meatballs.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

I like the ideas so far, however this campground has no electric so I will have no place to plug in my crock pot. I will be cooking strictly by fire or propane. Hermit I love the breakfast casserole idea and would be happy to take you up on the recipe.I was thinking of pasta but I think someone else already stole that one. I was thinking of making 3 or 4 lasagnas or 2 baked zitis and 2 lasagnas and just bringing them up but I am kinda looking for something different. Keep'em coming this is great.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

For dinner, a big pot of chili is easy to make in advance. Also a crock pot of beef stew served over pasta is good for large crowds. If you have an electric griddle, you can cook 6-8 pancakes at a time; get pre-cooked bacon from Sam's (72 slices per pkg) and heat in the microwave. Add a fruit platter, coffee, OJ and you have a great breakfast without a lot of trouble.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

Ahh...sorry about that, I was typing before I saw that you won't have electricity....do you have an outdoor propane stove/cooker?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

Food

Jambalaya. Always goes over we'll here. LOL. If its winter time I go with a pot of gumbo. We camp this way often. Cooking for about 30 people next weekend.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote