Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
learning new tricks

cutting board for the top of sink

we have a 2011 rockwood minilite 2502s and it has a double sink and a stove to the side. there is no counter space at all and when cooking it would be nice to have a cutting board or at least a cover for the sink. i have thought about making one but i sure would like one that fit right.any suggestions or do i buy a piece of maple and charge forward. thanks
scirocco1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco1976 View Post
we have a 2011 rockwood minilite 2502s and it has a double sink and a stove to the side. there is no counter space at all and when cooking it would be nice to have a cutting board or at least a cover for the sink. i have thought about making one but i sure would like one that fit right.any suggestions or do i buy a piece of maple and charge forward. thanks

the link below is an idea I posted about three years ago, ... it might be helpful in providing the work space you need, ... DW still loves it today, ...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dea-93664.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5372.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	178911  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
learning new tricks

cutting board

thanks for the tip. it looks like that may be a good alternative. we use the sink a lot too.
scirocco1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #4

Since our Sprinter doesn’t have a glass cover over the stove burners, we got a cutting board at IKEA and I glued and stapled short pieces of 3/4” quarter round on the bottom hold it in place on the grate over the burners. It’s easily removed when using the burners. DW likes to use the electric skillet on it.

I’ll try to get some pictures after my nap.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

Sink top cutting board

We bought one of those half-inch thick poly cutting boards at Walmart and cut it to size to fit the sink. Works like a charm. The material is easily worked with regular woodworking tools (saw, drill, file, sandpaper). And it's waterproof.

To start, make a template with stiff cardboard or quarter-inch plywood. Find a small bowl or glass in your kitchen which has the same circumference as the corners of your sink and use it to draw the round corners on your cover (this was easier for me than using a compass). Use a hole saw to cut a finger hole for easy lifting. For a double sink, cut your board in half so you can use one side of the sink while using the other side for extra work surface.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuff View Post
We bought one of those half-inch thick poly cutting boards at Walmart and cut it to size to fit the sink. Works like a charm. The material is easily worked with regular woodworking tools (saw, drill, file, sandpaper). And it's waterproof.

To start, make a template with stiff cardboard or quarter-inch plywood. Find a small bowl or glass in your kitchen which has the same circumference as the corners of your sink and use it to draw the round corners on your cover (this was easier for me than using a compass). Use a hole saw to cut a finger hole for easy lifting. For a double sink, cut your board in half so you can use one side of the sink while using the5 other side for extra work surface.
We have an island sink. I like the poly idea, easy to clean. I use one side for cutting and the other side kept unmarked for serving with company. I have sink covers, however the surface seems to scratch easily, so when cooking, I cover it up with a board. I also use a large wooden cutting board on my stove top when using my electic skillet if stove is not in use.
Remember to think lightweight on your cutting boards and easy cleanup!
Happy camping
Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Hank

sink top

My 2016 Coachmen did not come with insert for the sink. What I did was to make a template (under the counter sink) of the cutout size and take to a plastic supply and have them make me a insert out of cutting board material. Helps when you have a small counter top.

Hank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1127 sink top.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	179100  
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #8

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sink-Ma.../dp/B000EDUUGM

We use this. Works great. Adjustable to fit any sink size and can be easily switched from one side of the sink to the other. The rubber feet makes it easy to also use as a cutting board on the table or outside on the picnic table.

You adjust the rubber feet to fit just inside of your sink so that it won't slide around. You only need to be careful not to over-tighten the rubber feet or you'll break out the bottom of the board. (don't ask me how I know that )

Available everywhere - - - Amazon - Walmart - eTrailer - Camping World - your local RV dealers store (that's where I got mine - - - and it didn't have a company logal imprinted on it).

gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

Our 2012 micro lite came with a "plastic" insert for the sink to be used as extra counter space
pamMJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #10

My Grey Wolf (1 bowl stainless undermount) came with a sink cover (that matched / sat flush with the countertop). But at my PDI, the woman who went over the trailer with me said "and you're not supposed to travel with these in place", and put it under my dinette seat cushion - where it's been ever since.

Out of sight, out of mind, I guess... sigh.

Re: the poster who showed their cover and said 'cut it in half if you have a divided sink' - I'd cut it in half even with an undivided one. Nice solution, btw.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
Bene Gesserit Rule

We have two. Lucky for us the 5'er came with a full cover poly board. Ours is a double sink, both sides the same size (not a vege washer side), which means I can spin the full size poly cover around or flip it and it still fits. I used the poly cover as a template to make a 1/2 cover from pine. I stained it to seal it and glued a (replaceable) poly table mat (red) onto it for the cutting surface. This is also 'universal' in that it fits both sinks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Living 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	179146  
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sink-Ma.../dp/B000EDUUGM

We use this. Works great. Adjustable to fit any sink size and can be easily switched from one side of the sink to the other. The rubber feet makes it easy to also use as a cutting board on the table or outside on the picnic table.

You adjust the rubber feet to fit just inside of your sink so that it won't slide around. You only need to be careful not to over-tighten the rubber feet or you'll break out the bottom of the board. (don't ask me how I know that )

Available everywhere - - - Amazon - Walmart - eTrailer - Camping World - your local RV dealers store (that's where I got mine - - - and it didn't have a company logal imprinted on it).

X2. The adjustable fit works well for many applications. I use one in my wildwood 261BH XL.
goreviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Barnes View Post
My 2016 Coachmen did not come with insert for the sink. What I did was to make a template (under the counter sink) of the cutout size and take to a plastic supply and have them make me a insert out of cutting board material. Helps when you have a small counter top.

Hank
X2 except we have double sink and ours is two piece so we can use one sink and the cutting board over the other or ?
Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #14

A friend of mine who is not good with tools took his trailer to a local Amish cabinet maker and he had one made within a hour all he had to do was stop and get some food grade cutting board oil
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #15

RVBuff. a cover for our sinks has been bugging me. At first I wanted to find a one piece BUT that limits you IF you want to use one of the sinks. I love your idea, any idea how thick the cutting board was you purchased from WM? What did you use to cut it?? Did you put a hole in each one?? Would love a picture of your finished product!!
WI Margbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Margbabe View Post
RVBuff. a cover for our sinks has been bugging me. At first I wanted to find a one piece BUT that limits you IF you want to use one of the sinks. I love your idea, any idea how thick the cutting board was you purchased from WM? What did you use to cut it?? Did you put a hole in each one?? Would love a picture of your finished product!!
The cover I made from scratch is in a trailer which is currently in storage, and unfortunately I don't have a photo of it. I believe the material is about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. Attached are photos of one in another of our trailers. This is actually the cover that came with the trailer, except it was one piece with a single hole at one end. I cut it in half and used a hole saw to make a matching hole in the other end.

As I mentioned, the material is easy to work; maybe even a little easier to work with than plywood because it doesn't splinter (make sure you're not using some kind of brittle plastic). I used a hand-held circular saw with a straight-edge cutting guide. I used a hand-held sabre saw to make the rounded corners.You can file it, sandpaper sharp edges, drill it and make holes with a hole saw the same as with wood.

Full disclosure--the one I made from scratch was a large-size cutting board I already had--I'm not sure where it came from. You should be able to find something like it in WM or similar stores, however.

Good luck on your project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sink1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	180959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sink2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	180960  
Old 07-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #17

Henry Barnes LOVE your sink covers!!! When you say 'plastic supply' company could you explain further (like what type of things do they do? Any idea what it cost you?? Do you find it slides around at all when your traveling?? Seriously need to resolve this on our camper and love the 2 pieces!!
WI Margbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #18
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
We have two. Lucky for us the 5'er came with a full cover poly board. Ours is a double sink, both sides the same size (not a vege washer side), which means I can spin the full size poly cover around or flip it and it still fits. I used the poly cover as a template to make a 1/2 cover from pine. I stained it to seal it and glued a (replaceable) poly table mat (red) onto it for the cutting surface. This is also 'universal' in that it fits both sinks.
My half cover is half inch, quite thick for this kind of thing, but it is marine play and was what I had laying around.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #19

This is what we use - the Camco Stove Top Cutting board. It has feet that grab on to the rails on the top of the stove (granted you do not have a glass top). Has been great, stays in place when traveling.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink