Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Do you make a food plan

My daughter thinks I am a little over the edge because I make a complete food plan for trips longer than a couple days.

I find this planning (spreadsheet)so much easier for shopping and packing to know what I plan to cook. It keeps me from bringing too much stuff that never gets used.

Just wondering if I am the only one

rangerjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjean View Post
My daughter thinks I am a little over the edge because I make a complete food plan for trips longer than a couple days.

I find this planning (spreadsheet)so much easier for shopping and packing to know what I plan to cook. It keeps me from bringing too much stuff that never gets used.

Just wondering if I am the only one
Of course you do! All us normal campers do, otherwise how would we know what to buy and pack? Does your daughter think food magically appears in the wilderness?

Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #3

planning yes. A spreadsheet? maybe a bit overboard. as long as I don't run out of beer or firewood I can survive a few days with whatever is in the fridge or pantry.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

We make a food plan in order to make a shopping and packing list. We use it cover the contingencies, but once we're on the road we rarely follow it. If we go out to eat or the weather doesn't cooperate we just change it on the fly. But if we get stuck, and it has happened, we have something good to eat instead of campground pizza.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #5

I think when my kids camp on their own they just stop at the store on the way out and grab whatever looks good. Of course they have much busier lives than I do and don't really "cook" that much. They are happy with chicken and deli stuff. It is a much more expensive way to go. I actually enjoy the planning process and they enjoy it when they come with me and get actual meals
rangerjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
planning yes. A spreadsheet? maybe a bit overboard. as long as I don't run out of beer or firewood I can survive a few days with whatever is in the fridge or pantry.
If you donít have a spreadsheet, are you even camping? Without organizing and efficiency how is camping even possible?
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

Food plan? Yes, we plan to visit local restaurants whenever we're on the road. It's a vacation for the cook as well that way...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #8

I keep some food in the trailer but generally find a store and get what I feel like at the time. Not all stores in less traveled area have a good vegetarian selection, so I tend to keep veggie burgers and dogs in the freezer!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #9

sure we have a meal plan - i make a list of what we are having and that generates the packing/shopping list. Since my sister and i camp together, we divy up who brings which meals. It does feel real weird to go to the store and come out with only some eggs, bacon, and sandwich stuff for the whole weekend if she is bringing the dinner stuff. You look at the piddling little pile in the huge cart and think that that can not possibly feed everyone for the whole weekend.......and we gonna starve!! (we never do though LOL).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #10

Yeah, we bring some stuff. And then we go get some stuff. And we also go out and eat. We argue over WHERE to go eat, of course. But we find somewhere. Then we plan to have X tomorrow, and when tomorrow comes we don't feel like X.

It appears we must thrive on chaos.

But we're fat, so..................something is working.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote