Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #141

We use ours all the time for biscuits,burnt first batch then put small cookie sheet upside down on gray shelf cooks perfect now.Makes good cornbread also cooks evenly with the cookie sheet and it catches most of drippings from pies.
mark239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #142

Cool

We mostly grill or use the Dutch Ovens for cooking when were camping,the last camper we had for 12 years and only used the oven 2 times,anything i need a oven for i go to the D.O. and some charcol.
Nights camped 2012 (30)
striper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAlover View Post
We use our oven on most trips. Frozen waffles, brownies, baked beans, just to name a few. Have not tried a cake yet. We tried a ceramic tile in the oven but it cracked - what did we do wrong?
My wife uses ceramic tile(s) in the oven for her artisan bread-baking. She says it's for better heat-holding and more even heat distribution. Make sure to use unglazed quarry tile for this application. Even then, the odd tile sometimes cracks. The ones in the house oven at the moment have been in there for over 4 years, and she heats the oven to 550F to start, so they are durable enough. We got them at Home Depot.

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator

We like to cook while camping - not your ordinary campers fare like hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. I'm talking prime rib in the Dutch Oven. Smoked Pork. Mushroom stuffed tenderloin. Homemade pasta. Fresh pizza on the grill. We always seem to have lots of interested parties in the campground when we hang the $90 prime rib over the fire. The first one was kind of scary, but we've made so many now that its routine. And we did burn the first loaf of bread we tried. But it's so much fun to see what we can do over a campfire.
I have seen many people on the forum using dutch ovens. I have never owned one and was wondering what size and where to buy one. If you don't mind & have the time, could you send me a PM on your recipe for Prime rib & smoked pork also. Where would I find other recipes to cook in the TT oven and/or how to cook using one over the campfire? Also would love to know how to bake breads in one. Thank you very much! Annamarie
Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #145

Quote:

Made all sorts of cornbread in my portable camper oven, first the one you put over the burner over the stove, then the one with its own 1-lb cylinder of propane. Also made cookies, bread, cake, etc. also used the Dutch oven over the fire, which we still do. But it's a lot easier to just turn on the oven in the TT in the morning and whip something up! My favorite in the Dutch oven is peach cobbler, followed closely by freshly baked bread. It just doesn't get any better than that! These can both be made in the TT oven, but it's not nearly as much fun.
Would also love the Peach cobbler recipe! Yum!! TY!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #146

Not to get off topic,but i started with 10in D.O. but i have quite a few now,but its a hobby for me also but if you have kids with a healthy appitite like we used to go with a 12in also look up Byrons Dutch oven page for easy to harder recipes, once you get the hang of it you will be hooked.
Nights camped 2012 (30)
striper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #147
Current River Rat

Didn't ed all the posts yet, but a trick I found with the ovens (deer season we use it a lot) is to set the temperature higher than called for, say, 400 if it says 350, and when it reaches that temp (burner shuts off) put your goodies in the oven and set the temp back to what the recipe calls for. The burner won't kick on for awhile and the oven will slowly drop back to the set temp and then come back on. We were having a big problem overcooking the bottoms of the biscuits. This solved it. Works great on cornbread, cakes, etc. You can experiment with your specific oven to get the best starting temp setting. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie

Would also love the Peach cobbler recipe! Yum!! TY!
I'll work on those for you. I'm on my iPad right now. Im not really a recipe person. I usually just wing it, so I'll have to put pen to paper as best I can.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #149

Quote:

I'll work on those for you. I'm on my iPad right now. Im not really a recipe person. I usually just wing it, so I'll have to put pen to paper as best I can.
Thank you so much for your time. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #150

Agree with Btttravel on the temp thing. Started getting better results when I started to do that too. Also use good bakeware. I use a lot of the pampered chef baking stones and dishes. And the good cookie sheets from them too. I bake cobblers, sweetbread, cakes, brownies, cinnamon rolls, biscuits and whatever else without burning now. Use to set the smoke alarm off everytime. Tried the ceramic tile without luck. It broke while traveling. Thats when I went to the baking stones with better luck.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #151

We bought an oblong pizza stone at Kitchen Collection. It stabilizes the heat for perfect biscuits.

Our last unit did not have an oven, it came with the convection microwave... I sure missed having a real oven.

I just wish mfg's would find a unit that is easier to light. It takes two people to get the pilot lit, and the person with the lighter has to be a contortionist.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #152

I also use a dutch oven and have used my oven to make biscuits in the spring and fall when I'm to lazy to break the dutch oven out. I found that when I make the biscuits I turn the oven down about 50° lower than recipe calls for and bake them a bit longer also put a cookie sheet under them to delfect the heat to the sides of the oven more.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #153
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentcamper2 View Post
I'm curious, how many people actually use their oven on a regular basis? I personally feel that they are a waste of space and much rather see the space used for storage. If you do use it, I’d like to know what you are cooking in it (Maybe it would give me some ideas). I just wanted to know if I am the exception.
All our trailers have had an oven and everyone of them were used extensively.

FOR STORING THE FRYING PAN & LID!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #154

that little oven

that little oven
in our mini-light is very cool
it does not cook exactly like our oven at home
but
man oh man do we enjoy it when we are out there camping
the last motorhome we owned
had the confection type oven
I did not care for it
give me the old fashioned kind that's been around forever

reminds me of when I was a paper boy
yes way back when
on those very cold mornings
I would fold papers in my grandfathers camper
with his oven on and open
sweet

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #155

DW does nacho's with cheese and bakes her French Bread in ours
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #156

Just this past weekend, my DW used our oven for the first time, and she said its a great oven. We did not use anything else or the pizza stone. This what came out of it

One Lovely Berry Pie
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #157
"On the road again"

Our previous fiver (Sandpiper) had an over that we used extensively. Our Columbus has an over and in almost six months and 41 nights of camping...we haven't used our over once because of the convection oven. We had never used a convection oven before - but we're hooked.

In our previous oven...biscuits always burned on the bottom. With the convection oven, they bake to a perfect golden brown.

And...the pie above looks great!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #158
Camper Less Camping

Got to have the oven, we barely use our stove top burners.
There's nothing like a good meal or snack coming out of the oven on a cold rainy day out camping...or when I'm too lazy to fire up the Q grill!

Pizza, cookies, biscuits, casseroles, pies...etc..

Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #159

OK, I'm starving now....
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #160

Couldn't find an unglazed tile at the box store I went to so got a glazed one. The oven worked much better-at least I didn't burn the rolls. Reason for saying to get an unglazed one?
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote