Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Dutch Oven Cooking Info!

Any DUTCH OVEN CHEFS out there???

What is a CAMP DUTCH OVEN: A very versatile cast iron (or aluminum) kettle used over a campfire, or on charcoal. (and other methods) Coals can be placed under and on top of kettle. Very good for baking over coals.

If you like camping and cooking...this is a method that is fun and delicious!

The best way to spot a CAMP style D.O...they have 3 legs, and a raised lip on the lid to hold coals. You can bake, fry, boil, cook, etc in them.

You can buy them nearly everywhere, like Cabela's, Wal-Mart, sporting good stores or search online.

There are many GETTING STARTED sites around. Here is an informative one:
http://www.dutchovendude.com/default.shtml

Happy Cooking!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #2

When I was in the Boy Scouts, we cooked almost exclusively in Dutch Ovens.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
RAC

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

I've got a couple of Dutch Ovens:
1- 12" (Lodge)
1- 14" (SOB)

I cook on a DO Table over charcoal mostly. I use chimney's to start the coals, and have lid holders, lifters, gloves, cookbooks and such.

My newest accessory is the plastic charcoal bin to store it in. Keeps it nice and dry.

You don't need a lot of this stuff...you can make due with a few simple items:
~Dutch oven of course.
~Lid Lifter...You can use a vise grip or pry bar as a lid lifter..
~Pot holder or glove
~Tongs to move coals
~You can cook on the ground, firepit, or small charcoal grill.
~Charcoal chimney's work best...nothing but it and some newspaper gets them going. Chimney's are under $10.
~Recipes and info can be had on the net.

You fire up a nice Cobbler or cake in the campground during the evening...you've got instant FRIENDS!

Ahhhh. Sitting around the campfire eating some nice warm Turtle Brownie with a side of ice cream....heaven.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
RAC

Quick question Jolly. How do you cure them?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
Quick question Jolly. How do you cure them?
Not sure how Jolly cures his but I cure mine by coating both inside and out with a light coating of cooking oil and bake in the oven at 350 for about 30 min. Repeat twice. Then after every use I again coat lightly with cooking oil. I prefer olive oil but any good quality oil will work.

greg
Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
RAC

I've done that with some old cast iron stuff I got from my GP's. I have also done the gasoline thing to carbonize it......essentially I am looking for what would amount to the best way to make them non-stick. I think my GP used to put em in a campfire, but I don't remember.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
I've done that with some old cast iron stuff I got from my GP's. I have also done the gasoline thing to carbonize it......essentially I am looking for what would amount to the best way to make them non-stick. I think my GP used to put em in a campfire, but I don't remember.
You can also season over the fire as well but only the inside, and make sure after washing to apply a light coat of oil to prevent rust inside and out. Seasoning the cast iron with cooking oil is what helps to make it non-stick. Another contributing factor to the non-stick properties of cast iron is the small divits/imperfections of the cast that creates tiny air pockets between the pan and the food. So DO NOT sand or grind your cast iron smooth on the inside. It needs to be bumpy. If you need to knock off some rust from the insde and it's too tough for a brillo pad, use a wire wheel attached to a power drill. NO SAND PAPER.

greg
Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
RAC

Ok...sounds good.....I have a 15 inch skillet I use, and according to GP before he died....never use soap in it, just clean with hot water.....and elbow grease.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Ok...sounds good.....I have a 15 inch skillet I use, and according to GP before he died....never use soap in it, just clean with hot water.....and elbow grease.
I wash mine with soapy water but don't use a rough scrub pad as it will take off the soaked in oil. Good 'ol hot water works too with a wash rag and if you need it a plastic scraper. Always dry throughly (don't let it air dry) and oil before putting away.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
The Jolly Mon

Gregs got it all down...
I try not to use soap either. You can always boil some water in the pan to kill off any germs if you are worried. (or gets the soap out of the pores)

I cheat many times...and line it with foil to help cleanup.
I like olive oil (very light coating) baked for 30min/1 hour each cycle. I bake it 3-4 times when it's brand new. I use the oven, or the bbq grill to 'season' the cast iron.

Keep it dry and lightly oiled once you are ready to store to prevent rust. Don't use too much oil or it will get rancid. (when I say light...I mean LIGHT!)

Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
RAC

My thoughts 'zactly.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Cyber Phrenologist

I season our cast iron on the bbq grill. We have one of those bbq's with a huge lid that would cover a large turkey. I don't season in the oven because it always sets off the smoke alarms.

The nice things about cast iron are the longer you use it the less often you have to season it and the better the food tatses. Any deposits the cookware leaves in your food are good for you. You can hand the stuff down to your grandkids.

Breakfast eggs at our house are scrambled up in a cast iron skillet that belonged to my wifes grandmother. One of our kids will own it one day.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
The Jolly Mon

Radio...I love cast iron as well. If I'd known cast iron wasn't recommended for use on our smooth ceramic top stove....

Oh well. I bought a great enamel coated cast iron FRENCH OVEN for the home kitchen...and have some great cast iron skillets for the trailer! (and the Camp Ovens!)

Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
RAC

French? Army don't do french.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #16

HI
I've been cooking with DO's for years. I have what is called a cowboyset that allows the DO to hang over the campfire. It has different length hooks to adjust how much heat you want. I am a Boy Scout leader and we use them all the time. The boys sure do like the cobblers they make. I don't have any teflon at home anymore. All cast iron.
hippie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #17

I always thought that a dutch oven is when, after too many beans, you pull the covers over your wifes head while she's sleeping.
bobbyg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #18
The Jolly Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg123 View Post
I always thought that a dutch oven is when, after too many beans, you pull the covers over your wifes head while she's sleeping.

Not funny!

Pssssssssst...pull my finger!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #19

I just read this thread for the first time. My wife and I use dutch ovens quite regularly.

The best seasoning method that I've found is PAM cooking spray. It not only seasons, but protects and adds to the non-stick properties of the cast iron.

Like most of you, I rarely use soap, and always dry by placing on my old white gas coleman stove. While it's still warm, but cooling down with the flame off, I spray sparingly with plain Pam. Works beautifully.

We have 10" and 12" charcoal ovens and 10" and 12" fry pans. The lids from the DO's fit the fry pans.

We also have a cast iron griddle that fits perfectly on our forty year old Coleman stove. I have to release the wind screen on the stove to fit the griddle. Makes eight five-inch pancakes at a time, and to keep them warm, I put them in one of the ovens! The heat from the pancakes keeps the oven warm enough to where they still melt butter fifteen minutes later. I can sit and eat with everyone else 'stead of standing at the stove!

Here's my favorite recipe:

Pork Carnitas

6-8 pound pork shoulder or butt
6 cloves garlic, minced roughly
3 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced
1 cup (about 2 small cans) diced green chiles
1 tbsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil

cut pork into 1" cubes, fat and all.

Lightly brown, but don't carmelize, garlic and onions. Add pork and chiles and sprinkle with salt.

Set oven on bed of coals and cover lid with coals. Cook until pork is falling apart tender.

Enjoy with your favorite canned refried beans or black beans, Tapatio sauce, salsa, shredded cheese, and flour tortillas.

Serves 8.
fredzo is offline   Reply With Quote