Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
traveler

Birthday is coming up soon and a really heavy package arrived at the door this week, I think I may be cooking on a DO soon.

Here is the total package on DO cooking and recipes
MacScouter: Cooking for Scouts and Scouters

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #22

Cooking with DO sounds like the way to go. I am new to it and will give it a try. Curious though - Cast Iron or Cast Aluminum?? Which is best?
ready2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #23

If you want to control the temp charcoal is the way to go. there's "an app for that" if you have a smart phone go to market and search Dutch Oven and you can download Dutch Oven Calculator. When you use it you type in pan size, degrees, and cooking method (simmer, bake, roast, or fry) and it will tell you how many briquettes to place on top and under.

2011 Crusader 290RLT
2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Nights camped in '11 - 35
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2rock View Post
Cooking with DO sounds like the way to go. I am new to it and will give it a try. Curious though - Cast Iron or Cast Aluminum?? Which is best?
I am a traditionalist and much prefer the cast iron models. They are heavier for sure, but I believe that a properly seasoned cast iron DO imparts a flavor into your prepared dishes like no other.

Now, if you intend to do some backpacking, then a cast aluminum is an absolute must if you want to cook with a DO.
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #25

Cast iron by lodge in South Pitsbiurg Tennessee is the way to go. I have four and the 25 yr old one is the most seasoned and cooks the best. You might aak why four.
You can stack them and cook for a whole scout troop plus parents.
kanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2rock View Post
Cast aluminium
adanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #27

I'm a cast iron guy. yes it is heavy but thatis a benefit. it holds the heat the best, an take high heat and one meal a day cooked inn iron gives you your daily supply of iron.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #28

I have a couple anodized aluminum, and several cast iron ovens. they all cook good. I find myself grabbing the aluminum more often, just because they are lighter and easy to carry. One nestles inside the other, and I keep them in a nylon carry bag along with all the supplies I use like spatula, spoon, mini torch, zip-lock bag of charcoal, cleaning scraper, welding glove and mini-shovel.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #29

we have made many things in our do over an open wood fire we have always used a tripod to hang ours from and use the distance as well as the amount of wood fire we use the recipe we like the best is a beef chile cooked for about 4 hrs the you take and make cornbread dumplings on top of the chile ,cover and alow to cook for another 5or 10 min until the dumplings are done then remove from heat take off the lid and tell the neighbors to bring their own bowls and buds we'll supply the crackers
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #30

Thank you everyone for this great information. We are going to try some DO cooking this season for sure.
ready2rock is offline   Reply With Quote