Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Dutch oven recipes/slow cooker

Buying my first Dutch oven and was hoping to borrow some awesome camp recipes also looking for some yummy crock pot recipes
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #2

I don't have any, you might look up some on line also, maybe some of the cooks online, like Rachel, or who ever,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

Check on Pinterest.com. It is full of dutch oven recipes. I have used 2 or 3 so far and they were good.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

Mmmmm, love my Dutch Ovens. There are a ton of resources on the web and Pinterest if you're willing to search, also some great videos on Youtube.

What brand\size did you get? No matter what brand, my #1 advice is to season it properly before you ever use it. Even if it says "pre-seasoned" I'd do it. There are a variety of ways, but most common is to coat the thing in Crisco and put it upside down in a grill or oven at 250* F for an hour. Let it cool, then do it again.

Then after you've done that a few times and are happy with it, BACON! Throw a pound of bacon in there over some hot coals and fry that up. Not only have you added some extra seasoning to your DO, you've now got a pound of awesome bacon to eat.

Second thing to make is a cobbler...best ever (and easiest) camping dessert in my opinion. Flour, sugar, grease! Dump in a can or two of pie filling (amount depends on the size of your DO). Cover that with a box of cake mix, I use the cheap Jiffy yellow cake mix. Slice a stick of butter into small pieces and lay those around the top of the cake mix. Put your lid on and set over your ready coals. Basic rule of thumb is a ring of coals underneath, 2 briquettes less than the size of your DO. So 8 coals under a 10". Then 2 more than the size on top, so 12 coals on the same 10". It'll take about an hour, and I recommend spinning the lid every 15 minutes to ensure an even bake. Lift the lid, check it out, see how it cooks, learn how your DO works.

A nicely seasoned Dutch Oven doesn't need a liner and will clean out nice and easy with hot water. Never, ever use soap! I fill mine with hot water and put it over hot coals or a camp fire, boil it, scrub it with a brush I use only for this, and it cleans right up. Never put ice cold water in a hot Dutch Oven, you can crack it.

After you've burnt something on there once, or you just feel like being lazy, parchment paper will be your best friend! You can buy premade ones, or you can follow this guy's advice on how to make your own which is what I do.
Make your own parchment dutch oven liner | Backyard Life BlogBackyard Life Blog

I'd highly recommend a charcoal chimney for starting your briquettes. This has worked really well for me to get the coals going quickly and evenly. You can buy one almost anywhere for $10-$20 depending on how fancy of one you get.

I recommend the lid lifter (mine's a Lodge deluxe lid lifter, around $20), however I used a pair of pliers for the past 10+ years just as well.

I use the Dutch Ovens around the house too, not just camping. I don't have a DO cook table, as much as I'd love one, so I purchased inexpensive galvanized livestock feed trays at our local Tractor Supply store for around $5 each. I have one to start my charcoal in and one for each DO. These work fantastic! Pics below.

Websites I like for DO recipes. Some great recipes here that shows it's really just another way of thinking - you can cook ANYTHING in a DO that you could cook in your home or RV oven.

Everyday Dutch Oven
http://www.everydaydutchoven.com

The Boy Scouts know what they are doing...
http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe

For YouTube I like these channels:
Outdoor Cast Iron Cook
https://www.youtube.com/user/outdoorcastironcook

Cooking Outdoors
https://www.youtube.com/user/CookingOutdoors

Lodge
https://www.youtube.com/user/LodgeCastIron

Camp Chef
https://www.youtube.com/user/campchef

Here are some photos from both campouts and in my driveway. My only real advice is to just use it! Learn how it works, how to adjust the coals, and have fun. Only thing I haven't tried yet is bread, I plan to try that this year.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	70294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	70296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4678.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	650.9 KB
ID:	70299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4537.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	70303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4677.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	516.5 KB
ID:	70304  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	70305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4355.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	70306  
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Hot Dutch Oven Spots

One of my fav's is MarksBlackPot: Dutch Oven Recipes and Cooking
He does everything step by step to the point of possibly 'over-stepping', but that's good for a newbee.

Another is:
camping | camping breakfast recipes | camping recipes | outdoor recipes | hiking recipes | over 300 camping recipes
Everything from appetizers to desserts.

Dutch Oven Recipes
A lot of good info for newbees and great meals.

Most of all,
racingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Don't forget the dutch oven liner

I am a firm believer in the paper liners. Makes clean-up a breeze. Also allows baked goods to be taken out whole.
jth8696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

All good resources above. I use marksblackpot.com, outdoor-cooking.com YouTube channel and a few kindle books on DO cooking. Idos.com is another good one.

Enjoy!
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #8

For those on Facebook, there is also a Dutch Oven recipes group https://www.facebook.com/groups/dutchovenrecipes/.

Fantastic husband, 2 daughters, 2 foster sons and 3 pups
https://worldofweeks.com/
2xaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

I can only second the Irishman's remarks. Great advice!

I'm not sure what they put on the "pre seasoned" cast iron these days, but it "really" has a funky after taste. I would cook that off through your ovens self cleaning cycle and start from scratch with natural fats. Once properly seasoned, liners and such really aren't necessary, but you DO have to go through some 'growin pains' to really get your cast iron fully seasoned. It's certainly not a once off.

Some of my favorites are in-ground cooking stews/soups. Whole fish (gutted), chicken backs, elk/moose ribs, ox tail, etc.

Prep and bury it in the morning and come home to the most succulent dishes at night.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #10

Dutch Oven Camp Cooking, How To Use A Dutch Oven, CCamp Fire Cooking

Check this out.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #11

Start with biscuits, real deal scratch made drop biscuits. Once you get biscuits perfected, you will be able to bake/cook about anything. Be ready to burn a few, it takes a little practice to get the temps right. I would recommend a dutch oven table, that way you are not on the ground all the time, and you can help shield the coals from the wind.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
I would cook that off through your ovens self cleaning cycle and start from scratch with natural fats.
That's a great point...I had a Dutch Oven that I've been using on and off for years, with some neglect, so when I got another one decided to completely start over with both at the same time. I put them on my gas grill, upside down, and cranked the heat. Thing got to 700* F!! Burned off all the yuck from the old and the "pre-seasoning" from the new. Once they cooled I took 00 steel wool to them to remove any surface rust. Then I just used Crisco (open to suggestions on what's best here.....) and several more rounds in a 250* F grill to season. They came out beautifully and I feel both work better than ever.

After I'm done cooking with the DO and wash it thoroughly (again, NO soap!), I set it over a heat source (campfire, grill, stove) and heat it up to dry it. Then I give the inside a coating of Crisco and melt that in. Another quick wipe of a paper towel to get the excess and that's how I store it, ready to go next time.

Tom
Old 02-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #13

Crisco works very well for seasoning in my experience. I have a few cast iron skillets that get used pretty regular, and crisco or olive oil is all we use on them. The dutchies don't get used as often, but crisco or olive oil again is what we use.

Cleaning tip: When they are new, or you cook something with sugar, you will get some stuff burnt on. Oil and salt made into a light paste work very well at removing the stuck on goo without removing the seasoning. Wipe it all out when you are done, and you can store them that way. Lots of chuck wagon cooks only clean by this method and never use water. Another trick that works is oil and a ball of aluminum foil. The foil is soft enough that it will not hurt the seasoning.

My one last "tip": When storing, before you put the lid on, take a small square of paper towel, double it over a couple of times to make a "wick" about 1 inch wide, and place that between the lid and the oven at one edge. This will keep the fresh oil/fat/etc. from going rancid during long storage periods. Also, if you get some condensation build-up, it will help any water that accumulates inside the oven to "wick" out. I have been doing this for years, and I have never had to deal with rancid oil or had to re-season an oven, even if they were put up for long periods.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

I buy a deli roasted chicken, debone it and then make a Chicken pot pie, and also chicken noodle soup. You can use pie crust for ease but bake it a little before adding the mixture. Also shepherds pie is another good one.
Don
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #15

I did this one for a Dutch Oven Gathering, went over really well It's got peanut butter, chocolate and bacon....

Dutch Oven Peanut Butter Bacon Chocolate Bars - 50 Campfires
catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #16

Years ago, I printed a bunch of recipes and left them at home, so I winged it. Everyone liked what I did so much, that I've never moved beyond the two recipes I came up with.

Dutch Oven Chicken Stew
Enough chicken parts to cover the bottom of your Dutch oven
Onions cut into quarters – enough to cover the chicken
Potatoes – enough to cover the onions, cut into quarters, or smaller if large potatoes
Carrots – enough to cover the potatoes, cut into 1” to 2” pieces
1 box/bag frozen lima beans or green peas
2 cans of biscuits (enough to cover top if you make them yourself, Bisquick is great)
Olive oil
Beer or white wine (optional)

Start your wood fire two to two and a half hours before you plan to eat
Cover bottom of pot with olive oil
Season chicken to taste (I like lemon pepper)
Add the chicken
Cover it with the onions and add half the lima beans/green peas
Cover with the potatoes (salt/pepper them if you like)
Cover with carrots and add rest of lima beans/green peas

Pot should be full up to about 1.5” of the top.

Cover and cook on coals with coals on lid for about 1 ¼ hours. Check it after about 45 minutes, and add beer or white wine if it needs liquid (chicken broth, or even water, if you don't have beer/wine)

When done, add the biscuits to cover the entire top, cover, and let them bake the specified amount of time on package or in recipe.

I usually use the ready made biscuits in a tube, but it's better if you use Bisquick and prepare the drop biscuits. Just spread the dough over the top of the stew, pulling it to stretch it.

Dutch Oven Stuffed Peppers

Enough green peppers to cover the bottom of your Dutch oven
when placed upright. (Large camping oven uses 8 large peppers)
Italian sausage (sweet or hot) – enough to stuff the peppers (4 pkgs of 6 sausages each)
1 cup cooked rice or ½ cup uncooked minute rice
1 Onion, diced
1 package frozen corn (defrost enough so the kernels separate)
Fresh yellow squash cut into 1” chunks
2 large cans chopped tomatoes (or 4 boxes)
Bay leaf
Enough corn bread mix to cover the top (three boxes for largest oven)
Olive oil

Mix the onion and rice into the sausage
Cut the tops off the peppers, dice and add some to the sausage mix
Clean peppers, and stuff with the sausage
Set the stuffed peppers upright in Dutch oven
Tuck in the bay leaf between peppers

Pour the tomatoes into a large bowl and add the chopped onion, rest of diced peppers, squash, and frozen corn
Pour the tomato mix over the peppers. It should come to about 1.5 inches of the top.

Cover and cook on coals, coals on lid too, for about 1 ¼ hours.

When done, add the prepared corn bread mix to cover the entire top, and let it bake, covered, the specified amount of time on package or in recipe.

I use hot and sweet Italian turkey sausage. Two packages of 6 sausages each is enough to stuff 8 large peppers. Pork sausage is better! Use red and green peppers, and put hot sausage in the red ones, and sweet sausage in the green ones. Of course, if your crowd all likes hot or all likes sweet, then just go with that.
OutOfTheTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheTent View Post
Years ago, I printed a bunch of recipes and left them at home, so I winged it. Everyone liked what I did so much, that I've never moved beyond the two recipes I came up with.

Dutch Oven Chicken Stew

Enough chicken parts to cover the bottom of your Dutch oven

Onions cut into quarters – enough to cover the chicken

Potatoes – enough to cover the onions, cut into quarters, or smaller if large potatoes

Carrots – enough to cover the potatoes, cut into 1” to 2” pieces

1 box/bag frozen lima beans or green peas

2 cans of biscuits (enough to cover top if you make them yourself, Bisquick is great)

Olive oil

Beer or white wine (optional)

Season chicken to taste (I like lemon pepper)

Add the chicken

Cover it with the onions and add half the lima beans/green peas

Cover with the potatoes (salt/pepper them if you like)

Cover with carrots and add rest of lima beans/green peas

Pot should be full up to about 1.5” of the top.

Cover and cook on coals with coals on lid for about 1 ¼ hours. Check it after about 45 minutes, and add beer or white wine if it needs liquid (chicken broth, or even water, if you don't have beer/wine)

When done, add the biscuits to cover the entire top, cover, and let them bake the specified amount of time on package or in recipe.

I usually use the ready made biscuits in a tube, but it's better if you use Bisquick and prepare the drop biscuits. Just spread the dough over the top of the stew, pulling it to stretch it.

Enough green peppers to cover the bottom of your Dutch oven

when placed upright. (Large camping oven uses 8 large peppers)

Italian sausage (sweet or hot) – enough to stuff the peppers (4 pkgs of 6 sausages each)

1 cup cooked rice or ½ cup uncooked minute rice

1 Onion, diced

1 package frozen corn (defrost enough so the kernels separate)

Fresh yellow squash cut into 1” chunks

2 large cans chopped tomatoes (or 4 boxes)

Bay leaf

Enough corn bread mix to cover the top (three boxes for largest oven)

Olive oil

Mix the onion and rice into the sausage

Cut the tops off the peppers, dice and add some to the sausage mix

Clean peppers, and stuff with the sausage

Set the stuffed peppers upright in Dutch oven

Tuck in the bay leaf between peppers

Pour the tomatoes into a large bowl and add the chopped onion, rest of diced peppers, squash, and frozen corn

Pour the tomato mix over the peppers. It should come to about 1.5 inches of the top.

Cover and cook on coals, coals on lid too, for about 1 ¼ hours.

When done, add the prepared corn bread mix to cover the entire top, and let it bake, covered, the specified amount of time on package or in recipe.

I use hot and sweet Italian turkey sausage. Two packages of 6 sausages each is enough to stuff 8 large peppers. Pork sausage is better! Use red and green peppers, and put hot sausage in the red ones, and sweet sausage in the green ones. Of course, if your crowd all likes hot or all likes sweet, then just go with that.

Sounds yummy. Will save these.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #18

some of my favorite new recipes are from the pillsbury web site. simply amazing what you can make with a can of crescent rolls and a few ingredients. the jalepeno popper, pizza layer cake and apple dumplings are favs. google sopapilla cheesecake for an awesome dessert that cooks great in a DO.

I saw some savory breakfast rolls at a local bakery last month and had to make some on a recent camping trip with my scout troop. I layed out two cans of crescent rolls into one big dough sheet. stir together 2 eggs, salt and pepper, 2 tbsp oil, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup crumpled bacon. add some chives if desired. brush it all on the dough and roll it up, cut into 6 slices. sprinkle some more cheese and bacon on top and bake about 25 minutes at 350. uh yeah, won't be any of those going to waste!
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #19
Cyber Phrenologist

Get a bunch of recipes here:

The Recipe Ring There's probably a better link to Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes but this is what Google gave me.

Use those parchment liners. Really, wonderful invention.

I had a friend of mine make me a steel plate, 1/8" thick, 14" x 14" square. I usually do my cooking with the oven and coals sitting atop this steel plate. I can put this arrangement on those park provided grills or up on a few rocks. Makes cooking easy, even if the ground is wet. And clean up is a snap, too, together with improved fire safety and not going to kill any tree roots or some such.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheTent View Post
I don't know how I missed this recipe before but sounds freaking delicious... Just so happens my pantry overfloweth at the moment.. Red and green peppers, onion, crookneck squash, zucchini, cabbage, vine tomatoes, spicy sausage, bay leaves.. check..

I'll have to do without the corn meal, but sounds like a great change of pace.

Thanks for sharing!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote