Old 03-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

Dutch over wonder

I was loving the former post about dutch ovens and all the cool recipes and tips but couldn't add a post as the thread is old. To revisit it I wonder if any of those who posted those great ideas about placing their ovens in oil drip pans (I use a foil pan from the dollar store) if they ever stack their pans. Do they prefer to cook the dishes separately?

Also I saw a tip that I love and would like to share here is a tip I saw somewhere and love. To start my briquettes I put them in the starter chimney and put that on the burner of coleman stove for a couple minutes. It is so fast and no matches or starter needed

rangerjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjean View Post
I was loving the former post about dutch ovens and all the cool recipes and tips but couldn't add a post as the thread is old. To revisit it I wonder if any of those who posted those great ideas about placing their ovens in oil drip pans (I use a foil pan from the dollar store) if they ever stack their pans. Do they prefer to cook the dishes separately?

Also I saw a tip that I love and would like to share here is a tip I saw somewhere and love. To start my briquettes I put them in the starter chimney and put that on the burner of coleman stove for a couple minutes. It is so fast and no matches or starter needed
No... you can add a post if you will click the box acknowledging you know the thread is old.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 29; booked = 12
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Head Rambler

I don't use an oil drip pan (though it's a good idea.) I use 1/3rd of a steel drum laid on it's side. I have stacked the DO's before, but I prefer to sit them side by side so each one is accessible individually.

I haven't used the Coleman Stove trick to start the briquettes, but I have thought about it. I take a propane torch with us and use that to start the charcoal. I also use it to start the campfire, so dual use.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Site Team

If you have one of the newer autostart torches, I recommend you disconnect bottle when traveling. I have a friend who had one in the back of his truck and a sudden stop caused items to shift into it start it and it burned several items in the back of his truck.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
D.O. User as well. As for stacking, it depends what I am cooking as times and temps vary. I use a himmney and torch that connects to my green bottles. Yes, disconnect when not in use. I also carry a drip pan that is about 1/2 size. It can fit a couple of ovens. Place it on rocks/gravel to minimize ground damage.

It never fails to attract people who have never seen this before. Great conversation starter. However, please beware if any fire restrictions are in place.
A Loving wife
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #6

Yes fire restrictions do apply. Last year in AZ we couldn't use coals or firepit until well after monsoon in Sept. Kind of put the squash on my famous cobbler. Now that I have the Coleman roadtrip I can set my DO on that. The inside oven didn't work very well
rangerjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I have also used the gas grill, but hit the top with the blowtorch periodically to heat the top. We should be in better shape here in AZ this summer with all the rain/snow we have gotten in the high country.

A Loving wife
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote