Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 PM   #61
SafetyCamper

We like to visit a great local Sushi place and get take out....just before we leave and have that after setting up.... Nice to have a few drinks with it and just hang out with family and friends!!
Enjoy what works for you!!
SafetyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #62
Just as confused as you

Quoted from Cowracer, "Vegan is cruel. At the very least, that cow had legs. It could run. But that carrot had no chance, man. None."

Vegetarian ; vege translation "bad", tarian translation "hunter"; Indian word for Bad Hunter.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #63

We like to cook large shrimp with butter, garlic and Old Bay over the grill, then put that over some hearty salads.
Croissant roll sandwiches
Thick bacon (for breakfast or bloody Mary’s )
I’ll marinate steaks, or chicken in ziplock bags, then they’re pretty much ready to be put on the grill when we get there.
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:15 AM   #64

If you have access to Trader Joe's Markets, they have fabulous frozen Tamales in a variety of flavors that we enjoy. They can be steamed for 12 - 15 minutes straight out of the freezer, so you don't need to toil in the kitchen while you are relaxing after set up......or start them steaming while you are still finishing your campground setup. We always serve them with Hatch Enchilada sauce, green or red, whichever you prefer. Include a pre-packaged salad kit, corn chips, and salsa or guacamole for a nice Southwestern dinner.

For even better ideas, purchase a copy of the "The Essential Southwest Cookbook" available from the Southwest Indian Foundation based in Gallup, NM. Their recipes are magical.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #65

First night is usually what I call my “Red-Neck Surf and Turf”!

Pan fried, Beer battered Perch and Squirrel, and drink of choice!
(Heineken)
udy2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #66
Gruber

We prepare a lot of meals ahead of traveling. We’ll roast a couple chickens, shred the meat and freeze in meal size portions (2/3 lb for wife and me). When warming we season for Southwest, Asian or whatever we are in the mood for. We partially barbecue messy meats like baby back ribs, kalbi ribs and freeze. When we finish cooking at campsite meal is quick and less clean up. We also cook beans and lentils ahead and freeze in meal size portions. All of the above can be quickly made into delicious soups or salads on arrival or after a long day of play.
Jefrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #67

Envious

Sometimes I make chili or stew and can it in quart jars. That is a good take along and just takes minutes to warm up. I am envious reading all these replies. I do not get to go that often but have my Grey Wolf 22RR and have been stocking accessories as I go....retiring next year and will be hitting the road often!
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #68

We prep about half our meals before we leave home to make it easier on our travel days, and days when we're out sight seeing and not at camp much. I usually smoke a brisket, prep veggies for Hobo's, make biscuits and gravy that can be reheated later.
Our first night we almost always get into camp late so our go-to is usually Walking Tacos. I will have everything cut and prepped ahead of time in containers. The meat reheats in just a couple of minutes in the microwave. We usually get those squeeze bottle tubes of sour cream when camping just for the convenience. Kids like them because they can make them however they want. Just dump your ingredients right into a small Doritos bag and eat. Use plastic utensils and there is no clean up later.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:36 AM   #69

No one has suggested an Instpot

i Am surprised no-one has suggested using an Instant Pot for quick satisfying meals while on the road. As the DH (and primary cook) for my DW who is a vegetarian, I use it often to make meals at home or at the camp site. 10 minutes prep time then let things cook for 10 minutes and great meals are ready to enjoy.
lindenpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #70

Unless it has been a late arrival we will normally do nice thick rib eyes and some kind of side. Heck with a nice rib eye I dont need a side.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #71

When traveling all day we tend to get in late. or leaving after work, we tend to arrive too late to put on a big spread. We alwas carry a Bertolli's frozen meal in a bag. One pot no fuss and its not another hamburger while traveling.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #72
jkoenig24

Canned Dinty Moore Beef Stew can be easily "jazzed up" with the addition of some canned veggies (corn, string beans, peas etc) and a dash of Tabasco sauce and a pinch of garlic. Prep time ~ 5 minutes and another 5 minutes to heat. Add some cheese and crackers or a nice roll and you've made a satisfying, one-pot meal in very little time. Of course you can skip the "jazzed up" extras and just enjoy it as is.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #73
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
You guys realize this is a CONTEST, right? The campsite with the best food wins, and the judges are the other campers NOSES. If you’re not cooking awesome meat over a fire that makes everyone in the campground salivate, you’re not even in the game. If you’re ordering food in, you’re dining in shame.

No shame in going to a local restaurant if you’re site seeing, but if you’re eating in camp, you need to represent!
I have long since stopped caring about impressing other people.

I'll cook over-the-top meals for my friends, but only because I like cooking, and my friends like my meals. But cooking just to make the next guy (stranger) jealous? Hmmm... Can't see the attraction of that.

I guess I am not "in the game"

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
A stop at KFC is usually pretty satisfying.
We'll have this the night before and and take leftovers for the first night. Also, we've done the same with pizza or picked it up on the way.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #75
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Camping aromas!

Our ULTIMATE campground smeller-upper weapon!!! Turkey in a box!

Last fall camping: arrival night on this trip, pork chops with apples in a Dutch oven. Next day.....breakfast was a French Toast type casserole with bacon, eggs, cheese, bread all mixed together in a Dutch oven. No lunch, but early dinner around 3.....

Made stuffing, green bean casserole in the Dutch ovens, foil wrapped baked potatoes, pumpkin pie, Turkey-in-a-box with gravy....oh, and a few adult beverages!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8619AE73-49B8-44B1-B79E-7B4BD59FCD8F.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	200116  
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #76

Back on our first camping trip before we got married, we cooked canned ravioli and spaghetti-o's and LaChoy chow mein on our little Coleman #425 Stove... with lighting from a coleman 228 lantern They taste so much better when camping!!

So, lots of times that's what we'll cook for the first night... chow mein or rav/spaghettios... brings back memories of that first exciting camping trip!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #77
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
Technically correct, but the difference is minimal.
Must be aluminum foil technology has changed since I was in scouts back in the 70's...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #78

After driving between four and five hundred miles the last thing I want is a big meal. Something short and fast
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #79
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
After driving between four and five hundred miles the last thing I want is a big meal. Something short and fast
Perfect time for a basic sandwich and some chips!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Must be aluminum foil technology has changed since I was in scouts back in the 70's...
I like it when people call it tin foil....
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote