Old 04-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #1

help with LP hose for my new coleman roadtrip grill

so i picked up a new coleman roadtrip grill for this camping season. im sure quite a few of you either have one of these, or have seen them. they are designed to use the small 1 pound propane bottles. well, buying dozens of these little bottles is not an option for me. my two options are listed below. i would appreciate some input on my ideas........or if anyone has other ideas i would like to hear them. thanks.

1. buy a hose i can run from the large 40 lb tank on my camper. i dont need to get fancy and "T" it inline....i will just unhook the bottle from the RV line and hook my jumper hose up. i found this hose on coleman's website (see link below). i was something similar to this.....but i would be interested in something around 10 feet long. i dont imagine this is anything special, so i should be able to easily find a longer one. if it is something special, please advise me otherwise... Coleman - 5-ft (1.52-m) High-Pressure Propane Hose Adapter -

2. buy this adapter to fill the little bottles off of my 40 pound tank. http://cgi.ebay.com/Propane-Refill-A...item3a64c101b4 i know nothing about this adapter, but it seems like a good idea. just have to have a couple of the little bottles laying around to use. one big drawback for me would be that i dont think i could fill a bottle up without taking my large 40lb tank out of my camper. the compartment the 40 pounders sit in would not allow enough room to hook up the bottle. this isnt a BIG deal.....just a pain in the "you know what"

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #2

The hose should available at a good hardware store. I believe mine is 6' long. Adapter...no experience. Would b concerned abt condition of bottle or overfilling.
do. U ice down the receiving bottle to make it move. Have used that proceedure to remove freon from a home system.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

It is technically illegal to transport the small bottles after you refill them, but many people do it.
The hose setup is common and easy to use and tying it in with a t is not difficult, there are tons of adapters out there.
But, I use a similar propane grill with the little 1 pound bottles and you would be surprised how long they last!
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I would forget about filling the little bottles. To do so you have to remove and invert the tank from which you are filling. You did say you have 40 lb bottles, didn't you? For example - go to MacCoupler.com and download and read the instructions PDF. http://maccoupler.com/supportdocs/ma...r_instruct.pdf

Option #1 is the better choice, with or without a T or other hardware.

My choice would be to use the 5' hose and purchase a small refillable tank (5 or 10 lbs) from Camping World, or wherever. Keep one 1 lb bottle as an emergency backup.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #5

Camping World sell a tee with a 12' hose. It is called a stay flow and sells for $49.99.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I would forget about filling the little bottles. To do so you have to remove and invert the tank from which you are filling. You did say you have 40 lb bottles, didn't you? For example - go to MacCoupler.com and download and read the instructions PDF. http://maccoupler.com/supportdocs/ma...r_instruct.pdf

Option #1 is the better choice, with or without a T or other hardware.

My choice would be to use the 5' hose and purchase a small refillable tank (5 or 10 lbs) from Camping World, or wherever. Keep one 1 lb bottle as an emergency backup.
I'm with Richard on this one. We carry an extra 20lb propane tank in the truck, because we have the room. but a 5 or 10 lb'er would be fine if space is tight.

...VTX-AL
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

Get the hose. Those small bottles are disposable and should be treated as such. Many time a refilled diposable bottle will leak. If this leaking propane touches your skin it will cause a "burn" from the coldness of the liquid propne boiling off into a gas.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

so something like this would work...correct? will i have to remove the hose when not in use so the propane will not leek?

Walmart.com: Coleman Propane Tee: Camping

Walmart.com: Coleman 8' Propane Hose: Camping

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

most hoses have a built in valve on them which will prevent a leak.