Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

how you doing turkey for thanksgiving in the RV

This year we are trying to resurrect an old tradition of beach camping for thanksgiving.

I am a gadget guy and I love to have multiple ways to cook/bbq. I have 5 different grills on my patio at home

I recently purchased a green mountain grills Davey crockett to add to the travel trailer and I have been practicing and I like it a lot so far. However I am not sure I want to use it for my turkey day bird as I will likely use it for other things.

I am thinking about investing in an Orion charcoal cooker I really like the concept and flexibility as well as speed that it cooks things in. Also less susceptible to atmosphere differences compared to using my weber kettles

So how you cooking your bird this year
nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Charbroil BigEasy oiless fryer.

Been using one for years. No fuss, no muss.

At campground and at home.

Previous threads on it:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post143880

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post505006

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Letting the cg on Tybee Island cook us our Turkey dinner. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Charbroil BigEasy oiless fryer.

Been using one for years. No fuss, no muss.

At campground and at home.
Ill take a look I didn't realize there was an LP type cooker like that
Old 09-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Copied over from a previous post I made on the Big Easy. You can get these at Lowes, Home Depot, Academy Sports, Amazon, etc. I see them on sale at these places all the time around thanksgiving towards Christmas. I'm telling you, you will be sold on it once you use it. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Let me look back at my phonepics, as I took some showing another friend awhile back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I like the idea of an oil-fryer. Does it come out pretty much the same as with oil ? What approximate cooking time ? Peanut oil this years was around $11 a gallon. OUCH. I use about 2.5 gals in my fryer.
I wouldn't say it's quite as good as an oil fried turkey, but it is a real close second......and I mean so close you will get compliments from everyone..........................but is so much easier than using an oil fryer, with the only cleanup being in emptying the drip tray.

You just inject the turkey with your favorite marinade (our daughter has chosen Creole Butter as her favorite, but I like garlic) in different places. Set the turkey in the basket, and set it in the Big Easy. Put the included thermometer down in the thickest part of the breast. Turn on the Big Easy and walk away.

Cooking time depends on outside ambient temp. I would say the average when it is real cold like it is today is around 3 hours to 3 hours 15 minutes on mine. I've seen videos where others do it in about 2 hours, but don't know if that's normal or if mine is just slower than others.

It's so easy, and is basically plug-n-play. It takes me about 15 minutes to prep the turkey and get it to the Big Easy. I have probably fried about 25-30 birds with the one I got so far. I fry turkeys even in the summer because my daughter and I get to craving them. When thru, you just empty the dripping tray (or if you used disposable foil tray, just chunk it), and wipe down the inside stainless steel chamber. That's it, until you use it again.

As far as the marinades go, you can experiment with the ones available in the stores or make your own. Youtube is full of videos on this.

Tips I've learned:

I take the bird out when the thermometer reaches 160 degrees as it will still heat up some even after you remove it, to get to an internal temp of 165. The closer you get to 165 the moister/juicier the meat is.

Don't put the browning lid on top of the Big Easy until about the last fifteen/twenty minutes or cooking time. I've actually gotten to the point I don't use the lid at all.

The Big Easy comes with a wire basket that works well. However the wings like to stick thru the wire and you have to work them back in when trying to remove the turkey from the basket. It's not hard to do, but when dealing with a very hot turkey, it can be a pain. Char-Broil sells a hinged basket for the Big Easy on their website for $20, which makes all the world of difference. You just open the hinge and the turkey falls out of the basket.

I bought the hinged basket, along with the hanging rib racks, and shish-ka-bob skewers for the Big Easy on a package deal for $35. I haven't tried to cook ribs in it yet, but have made several excellent shish-ka-bobs.

As with your RV and other propane power grills, open your propane bottle slowly, so the OPD doesn't limit the propane flow. I was cooking one time and it seemed like it was taking longer than usual. I noticed the flames were smaller than normal. I turned off the cylinder and reopened slowly. This time the flame was three times the size as previously.....and it started cooking as it should.

It really is as the name implies, Easy. I've never ruined a bird, and the closest I came was when the meat thermometer broke, and I cooked it too long....which just made it a little drier. I now use two thermometers just to make sure.

Thing about the Big Easy, is you can take it to the campground with you, and cook many other things besides just turkeys. I saw on Char-Broils site the other day, they even now make a griddle to place over the top so you can fry eggs, bacon, etc with it.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-tru-infrared.html

Lowes, Home Depot, Dicks, Wal_mart, Academy, Bass pro, all sell these for around 89-99 bucks. I get mine for 70 off Amazon several years ago, where it is 79 currently.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fiel...tag=mozilla-20

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Here are some cooking with the BigEasy. Now I'm hungry.

All you do is inject it with marinade, stick the thermometer in it, turn the Big Easy on, and just take it out when it gets to temp. It really is easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171123_170556.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	187256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171123_145755.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	187257Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161124_165524.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	187258

Old 09-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #8

My wife is shopping and cooking. I値l be eating, watching football, eating again and napping. I知 exhausted just reading about all the work the OP is putting into this..
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
My wife is shopping and cooking. I値l be eating, watching football, eating again and napping. I知 exhausted just reading about all the work the OP is putting into this..
That's why I was thinking about the orion as its fairly simple and relativeely fast cook. sure if we were home mama would have this all dialed in but she can only do so much in that little oven in the trailer and this is also gadget justification
Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Here are some cooking with the BigEasy. Now I'm hungry.

All you do is inject it with marinade, stick the thermometer in it, turn the Big Easy on, and just take it out when it gets to temp. It really is easy.

Attachment 187256Attachment 187257Attachment 187258
Maybe I will need one of these too!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hahahah DavidBo, Gotta love the ol' Swanson. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain every year for mine. Never did it on a beach though. Sounds like a PITA with the sand and wind. I take it back about never doing it on the beach though. That was a PITA too!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

We use a Ronco Rotisserie, perfect turkey every time. We set it on a table outside which leaves the kitchen available for everything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6287560D-5946-4783-B029-7662080AA18A.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	187327  
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
We use a Ronco Rotisserie, perfect turkey every time. We set it on a table outside which leaves the kitchen available for everything else.
We loved ours as far as cooking. But the horrendous job of cleaning it caused us to give it away
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Parking at a restaurant and meeting my parents... Eating then heading out in the 5er to Virginia Beach.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
Shelley

Dutch Over Cornish Hens

My hubby loves to cook Cornish hens with dressing and corn on the cob in a dutch over over coals. It's yummy.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #16

Not in a camper but we having doing a bird in the 22 to 27 pound range for about the last 6 years now in our Weber Smokey Mountain and I wouldn't have it any other way, it's so great, plus it leaves the regular oven for their stuff. If that's an option and you've done it before, I'd stick with that method!
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Not in a camper but we having doing a bird in the 22 to 27 pound range for about the last 6 years now in our Weber Smokey Mountain and I wouldn't have it any other way, it's so great, plus it leaves the regular oven for their stuff. If that's an option and you've done it before, I'd stick with that method!

Yeah the weather is just always so different there from what I am used to cooking with charcoal so I am leary. Lots more moisture and wind to deal with compared to at home. Probably going to get one of the air fryers an orion or maybe even do trashcan
Old 09-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #18

DH always does the turkey in a charcoal grill and whole family loves it. DIL even asked for the grilled turkey for Easter this year. Yes, he has to make temperature adjustments because sometimes we are in Florida, sometimes in Michigan, sometimes in Illinois. but he has mastered it. YUMMY!! And we girls have the oven available for all the other dishes.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #19

In 1977 my wife & I went camping with another couple. Discussing what to plan for meals, they suggested cooking a turkey. My response was, WHAT!!!, we want to relax and enjoy the campout not spend out time cooking a turkey. They said, don't worry, we'll take care of it and they did. They used a Weber Kettle Grill, put the charcoal on each side, indirect heating, (Weber has metal dividers for this), every hour we added charcoal. It takes 15 minutes per pound for a stuffed turkey. My wife hasn't cooked a turkey in the oven at home since 1977. We have a gas grill for hamburgers, steaks, etc., and a Weber Kettle Grill fro hams and turkeys.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #20

We've been camping with our family on Thanskgiving for over 25 years. We've used everything from ordering Publix pre-cooked meals to splitting the bird in half. Last few years we've been using our son-in-law' s EGG to smoke it or our other son-in-law's deep fryer. They'll decide this year but having Thanksgiving dinner on the beach in St. Augustine is something special no matter how the turkey is cooked.
Landshark7 is offline   Reply With Quote