Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Infrared v Induction cooktop

I am considering replacing my outdoor kitchen camp stove (Coleman 2 burner propane) with either an infrared or induction cooktop. I am at a seasonal so electric is a given. I see there are hefty price differences between the two. Also, I understand that you have to have magnetic pans for induction. I generally use the camp stove when we cook side dishes, etc. I don't like cooking inside if I can help it.

Looking for anyone that has one or has done what I am considering. I tried searching but had no luck. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I love the induction tops, but we have tons of ironware, so it's not a problem for us. Lots of newer cookware are designed to work on induction tops, but if you're planning on using existing cookware make sure it'll work. They'll have an induction symbol on them if they're compatible.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

i can't speak for something portable, but we have an induction top in the house.

I'll never have anything else again.

Instant heat. Cools to the touch in seconds. Nearly impossible to burn yourself on anything except the cookware itself.

If you have all aluminum cookware, you're going to have to buy either ironware or induction capable cookware.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
(o˘◡˘o)

We've been using an induction stovetop in the house for several years and love it. While camping I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Secura-9100MC.../dp/B00GMCAM2G

and love it also. I really like the temperature setting when frying - set it and forget it. Automatically takes care of the temperature drop when adding items without smoking the oil. Used it for a lowcountry boil and have now quit taking my gas burner
Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
i can't speak for something portable, but we have an induction top in the house.

I'll never have anything else again.

Instant heat. Cools to the touch in seconds. Nearly impossible to burn yourself on anything except the cookware itself.

If you have all aluminum cookware, you're going to have to buy either ironware or induction capable cookware.

I don't own one but have seen them in use. They are amazing. If I ever have to replace a cooktop it will be an induction type.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

I have bertazoni in the house and a fagor portable in the MH.
Love them both.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

We have an induction plate we use outside as well as inside (I hate cooking in the camper, so only when raining) I think I've used my propane stove one time in the 3 years we've had the RV.

We bought all our pots & pans for it at Ikea - they are big on induction in Europe so they have a good assortment at reasonable prices. You could probably also check TJ Maxx or Ross or Homegoods if you want new, or maybe someplace like Goodwill, they sometimes have great deals on pots and pans in good condition.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Induction cooktop

I have two at home and one for rv. Love them. Just get one with as many temperature settings as you can. Ones with five to ten settings are worthless. Mine are NuWave and only had trouble with one when we bought a cook pot that was supposedly good for induction but was not. It smoked on high setting but can still use it on lower settings (carefully).
Fergie272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

One thing I do not like about our Nuwave is that I can't remove the pan from the 'fire' like I do gas..........which is a requirement if you are making gravy from drippings.........which is a requirement if you are Southern.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #10

I do remove "stuff" while on and NuWave just stops heating. Just push start button when done.
Fergie272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #11

I finally replaced it. I used this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great and fits in the drawer that contained the original crappy grill. Only points to remember include: it is electric and to ensure it cools down. It can take a little while to cool. We have a seasonal site so electricity is not a problem.