Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
geezer with gadgets
 
757Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 365
Instant Pot Cooker

Getting one for Christmas and was wondering what great cooking ideas you guys and gals might provide to someone who has never used a pressure cooker before.

Thanks!

__________________

__________________
Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66

757Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com
 
hbillsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Near Dallas Texas
Posts: 613
Go to Sams Club and on the tables that have all the books for $10 pick up Laura's "Instant Pot Cookbook". Also visit this web site Clicky for "pressure cooker recipes, tips & reviews!". That website is hands down the best source for getting help. If you upload a recipe there for instance, the sites owner and prime contributor will convert it to pressure cooker for you. If you cant wait, she also has an automated tool you can use. In addition to a wealth of info, the site has an active user forum.

I got my IPduo last Christmas and its great fun to use. Also do a youtube search for "pressure cooker" and you find many short tutorials on how to use your cooker.
__________________

__________________
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover
Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,032
Are you on Facebook? If so, there is a huge group for Instant Pot users. My wife is a part of it and got a lot of great tips.

My biggest tip- don't leave it in the box for 1-4 months before you get brave enough to try it!

We use it easily 1-3 times per week and, in fact, bought a second one for times that we needed 2 pots going at once. (As a fulltime RVer, you can imagine its value if I dedicate that much space!)

We do pork carnitas, roast beast, tacos (beef and chicken), veggies, pastas, and more. Friends just made mashed potatoes and she called it a "game changer".

I was just reading about making yogurt with fresh fruit compote in ours.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
geezer with gadgets
 
757Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Go to Sams Club and on the tables that have all the books for $10 pick up Laura's "Instant Pot Cookbook". Also visit this web site Clicky for "pressure cooker recipes, tips & reviews!". That website is hands down the best source for getting help. If you upload a recipe there for instance, the sites owner and prime contributor will convert it to pressure cooker for you. If you cant wait, she also has an automated tool you can use. In addition to a wealth of info, the site has an active user forum.

I got my IPduo last Christmas and its great fun to use. Also do a youtube search for "pressure cooker" and you find many short tutorials on how to use your cooker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Are you on Facebook? If so, there is a huge group for Instant Pot users. My wife is a part of it and got a lot of great tips.

My biggest tip- don't leave it in the box for 1-4 months before you get brave enough to try it!

We use it easily 1-3 times per week and, in fact, bought a second one for times that we needed 2 pots going at once. (As a fulltime RVer, you can imagine its value if I dedicate that much space!)

We do pork carnitas, roast beast, tacos (beef and chicken), veggies, pastas, and more. Friends just made mashed potatoes and she called it a "game changer".

I was just reading about making yogurt with fresh fruit compote in ours.
Thanks for the replies!

hbillsmith, we don't belong to Sam's Club (Costco is closer), but I will search for the book on Amazon. The web site looks like something we can use for sure!

ependyday, I promise not to wait four month to use it! We are not on Facebook. Your list of items you cook in it is impressive.

Do you guys have a suggestion for something someone who has never used a pressure cooker could try to get the feel of cooking with it? I have been cooking with a crockpot forever, and an oven of course, but never a pressure cooker (when I was younger used to hear of them exploding and such, may have been urban legend, but enough to keep me away.)

Anyway, thanks for your assistance and happy travels to you both!

out there!
__________________
Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66

757Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,032
These electric ones are safe and have fail-guards to keep them from exploding. I'd heard the same thing.

Easiest would likely be something that mimics crockpot cooking. What's a favorite meal in there?
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sprung Leak, NC
Posts: 877
Never seen one of those...

But I do have old fashioned pressure cookers and crock pots.

I have only had one "explode", the safety plug blew out because I had put too much liquid in it and it plugged up the pressure vent on it. Took about a month and a gallon of paint to get the chicken off the kitchen walls and ceiling.

I love my pressure cookers, I can cook a whole chicken off the bones in 30 minutes on a gas camp stove, de-bone the chicken add yellow rice, cook for 10 minutes and have the best dinner ever. They are great energy savers.

Pressure cookers, like everything else have a learning curve and require you to follow some basic safety rules.

Aaron
__________________
Aaron & Rhonda
wahoonc & Airangel60

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
geezer with gadgets
 
757Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Never seen one of those...

But I do have old fashioned pressure cookers and crock pots.

I have only had one "explode", the safety plug blew out because I had put too much liquid in it and it plugged up the pressure vent on it. Took about a month and a gallon of paint to get the chicken off the kitchen walls and ceiling.

I love my pressure cookers, I can cook a whole chicken off the bones in 30 minutes on a gas camp stove, de-bone the chicken add yellow rice, cook for 10 minutes and have the best dinner ever. They are great energy savers.

Pressure cookers, like everything else have a learning curve and require you to follow some basic safety rules.

Aaron
Thanks for the reply! Can't get the splattered chicken out of my mind!!
__________________
Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66

757Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Blog: RVroadtripper.com
 
hbillsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Near Dallas Texas
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
...we don't belong to Sam's Club (Costco is closer), but I will search for the book on Amazon.
Here's the clicky link:

The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Laurel Randolf

There are hundreds of youtube's so to get you started take a look at this one. It's simple and elegantly filmed to make the step by step easy.

How to Make Easy One Pot Pressure Cooker Penne Rigate Pasta
__________________
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover
Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 322
These locked-lid pots are specially designed to drastically shorten the cook times of slow-poke foods like grains, legumes, potatoes, tough meat cuts, soups, and stews. Also, for a quick stock.
================
A top grade saute pan and a good bbq grill/smoker can help you streamline your kitchen so you aren't carrying all these quickie appliances around. Just focus on learning good techniques and appropriate shortcuts.

If you want a soup, why not make a simple four kinds of mushroom soup in the saute pan?

Reduce the amount of the beans, pasta, potatoes, bread, and rice in your diet. It will also help you control your weight.

Also cut down on the quantities of food you consume by upping the quality and flavor of the food you make.

Forget the tough meat cuts unless you are on an extreme budget. Forget making stews.

You don't really need a microwave except to boil water. Toss out all the convenience appliances. Buy one high quality knife and learn good knife skills, etc.
__________________
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:48 AM   #10
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,032
I know of this blog but can't vouch for the contents. A friend just posted this and it seemed to be directed at your exact inquiry:

http://thisoldgal.com/10-easy-instant-pot-recipes/
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.