Old 01-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #111

Okay... I'll admit it. I'm a HUGE coffee snob. There, I said it. Roasted beans are only good for 7 to 10 days tops. Ground coffee is maybe 2 days tops. I never believed it until I really got into coffee. You can see and taste the difference! With that being said, I drink espresso. Most people think that espresso is a really dark bean but its actually the process of how the oils are extracted from the beans. Everyone here, from what I read is brewing as the method. Espresso uses hot water and pressure to force it through the grounds.

At home, I have the Izzo Alex Duetto III (Izzo Alex Duetto III). On the road I've tried the Keurig but I can't get a decent cup. I'm still looking for good beans in the kcup but haven't found any yet. So, I just might go with the Rok (The ROK Espresso Maker from Whole Latte Love) or the Handpresso (Handpresso Wild Hybrid in Silver from Whole Latte Love). Both can be used off the grid but produce a consistent shot. Then just add hot water for an Americano!

http://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #112

I'm far from a coffee aficionado, but when I do drink the stuff, I like it best percolated on a stove top with a pyrex glass percolator. These store bought Starbucks and Tims don't come close to this method and I'm not at all a fan of the keurig devices.

Instand coffee , like Nescafe, is good too .

Pyrex Coffee Percolator Time Lapse - YouTube

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #113

We have a larger Keurig for the home and picked up a single-cup unit for the MH. I was going through some convolutions to fit us with an inverter for those times when we're dry camping and didn't want to start the genny just to brew a couple of cups.

Well, after a couple of mis-adventures with the inverters I found this through another forum and well, I picked up one of these units last night on the way home from work.

(Here is the link to Amazon)

Of course, we ran a couple of cups through it (for testing purposes only!!) and it worked great in initial tests. We use both the older style solid plastic k-cup packets as well as the newer, more environmentally friendly filter-bag style pods.

The solid plastic cups worked very well and the coffee was as good as if brewed in our regular machine. The filter-only style k-cup gave us a minor issue in getting the unit to "close" because the rim is slightly thicker but once we did close it up, the coffee was just as good.

The unit brews a great 10oz cup without any issues. This should be perfect for those times in our 3050S when we don't have shore power and don't want to start the genny to brew a couple of cups of coffee. We can boil the water on the stove and press-brew!

Enjoy!

"Not all those who wander are lost..."
jimdaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

My grandma made her coffee in a percolator......now I wish I had one!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #115
Site Team

Let's Talk Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdaway View Post
We have a larger Keurig for the home and picked up a single-cup unit for the MH. I was going through some convolutions to fit us with an inverter for those times when we're dry camping and didn't want to start the genny just to brew a couple of cups.

Well, after a couple of mis-adventures with the inverters I found this through another forum and well, I picked up one of these units last night on the way home from work.

(Here is the link to Amazon)

Of course, we ran a couple of cups through it (for testing purposes only!!) and it worked great in initial tests. We use both the older style solid plastic k-cup packets as well as the newer, more environmentally friendly filter-bag style pods.

The solid plastic cups worked very well and the coffee was as good as if brewed in our regular machine. The filter-only style k-cup gave us a minor issue in getting the unit to "close" because the rim is slightly thicker but once we did close it up, the coffee was just as good.

The unit brews a great 10oz cup without any issues. This should be perfect for those times in our 3050S when we don't have shore power and don't want to start the genny to brew a couple of cups of coffee. We can boil the water on the stove and press-brew!

Enjoy!

It's an interesting unit, but I'd still probably stick with my B40. Much less cleanup.

Edit: Opps, bumped the send button early, continuing on....

If you need an inverter, have you tried something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-10...erter/14560011.

No need for a fancy wired job just to run the coffee maker. That's if I'm dry-camping in the trailer. When I'm doing a tent, instant's good enough.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #116

This is what we use a back-up. It belonged to my grandparents and they used almost every day for better than 30 years on a woodstove! I love it.

Grandparent's old coffee pot

Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #117

The single-cup Keurig we have pulls 1450 watts to heat the water. That unit wouldn't be able to supply that. We'd need about 130A from the batteries.

All in all, I think the stove-boil and hand-press option will work perfectly for those times when were dry camping or tenting/hiking.

What ever happened to "roughing it"??

Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #118
Site Team

Ok, did not know the unit took that much juice. I've got a cheap (as in only $39.99 about 10 years ago) 400W one I picked up at XS-Cargo thrown in the trailer to use for those kinds of situations. I may have to rethink my "Opps, we've lost power" backup strategy.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #119
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If you need an inverter, have you tried something like this Stanley PC1A09 100 Watt Power Inverter - Walmart.com.
That unit MIGHT charge an iPhone but it will never run a coffeemaker.

Most coffee makers draw 1200 to 1800 watts (not 100).

FYI - a 100 watt inverter will draw 8.33 amps (100 watts/12 volts) from your battery. A 1000 watt inverter will need 83.33 amps of battery supply. A 2000 watt inverter will need 166.67 amps of battery power.

An OEM battery has about 70AH of delivery that RAPIDLY decreases in capacity as the demand on each individual battery increases (see graph of a 100AH battery - you can use it for other batteries by making the capacity reduction a "percent").

So trying to get 83.3 amps out of a 100 AH battery will reduce the capacity to deliver TO about 5% of the rating.

A single fully charged OEM battery will not make a cup of coffee in an electric coffee maker (1500 watts or 125 amps). A PAIR will be hard pressed. (the demand on a single battery in a matched pair will be 1/2 of the load - or 62.5 amps).

Using the graph and a 100 AH battery, the supply will drop to about 25% of rated capacity (extrapolated and it could be worse!) with TWO batteries.

So two fully charged 70 AH batteries (140 AH total capacity reduced to 35 AH) will "make coffee" with an "average 1500 watt coffee maker drawing 125 amps) for about 35AH/125 amps or 0.28 hours (about 16 minutes or so before they are both dead).

If they are already reduced before you try to make coffee, they may not even deliver enough voltage at that reduced capacity to get above the low voltage cut out of your inverter.

If you intend to do crazy stuff like make coffee, use the microwave, or air conditioner, you will need to think about adding 500 pounds or so of battery bank 4 to 6 high capacity batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	46789   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	46790  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #120

No discussion of coffee should happen without talking about purified water since that cup of coffee is about 99% water. Chlorinated or well water WILL effect the flavor of your coffee. Filter your water through a carbon filter or bring some purified water for best results. Remember, pure water has no odor, color, or taste.

4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote