Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #121

At the start of last season I upgraded our house Tassimo so I moved the smaller one to the trailer and haven't regretted it since. The small footprint makes it fit easily in the cupboard for travel. I usually keep it outside for brewing as counter space is at a premium inside.

2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #122

Good point, John. I find the alcohol in the Bailey's helps kill any off-odor or taste!

Seriously, though, we're a little spooked about using park water for drinking. I've installed a 12Vdc food-grade aux pump under the kitchen counter with a separate tap on the counter-top and we store a 5-gallon bottle there for cooking and coffee water.

"Not all those who wander are lost..."
jimdaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #123

the Handpresso Wild, for those that enjoy an espresso or espresso + hot water coffee (also called an americano) is a great portable little device. there is no power requirements - its basically a hand pump single shot espresso maker. hot water goes into a reservior (2 oz) and you add either an ESE Espresso pod or ground espresso, pump the hand pump to the proper pressure for extraction and press the release button, the air pressure forces the hot water through the grounds and produces a pretty authentic espresso shot with crema and everything.

only energy used is making the hot water to start with - which can be done in any number of ways. for those that prefer a larger coffee - 2 shots of espresso with hot water to fill a mug makes a very clean, tasty cup of coffee without the bitterness of some cheaper drip coffee blends. the ESE coffee pods themselves are very convenience, they take up way less space than keurig cups, they are 100% biodegradable with no plastics (except for the foil wrapper) and the quality of the coffee inside i think is of superior quality to keurig (which to me seems to always be a combination of regular drip coffee and instant coffee)

obviously keurig is VERY popular, almost everyone i know has one - but if you were looking for an off the grid type option that is just as easy to use on the grid (microwave a mug of water to make your hot water) then i would recommend the Handpresso Wild.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #124
Site Team - Lou

http://www.handpresso.com/machines-e...o-wild-hybrid/

Now THAT is cool!

Pricey, but cool!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #125

Now that is a slick little rig too!

As one who likes my coffee to bite back sometimes, this'd be very slick!

Here is a youtube demo of it in action!

YouTube Demo

Thanks, rawlus!

"Not all those who wander are lost..."
jimdaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #126

For REALLY "roughing it", get the 12 volt version... :-) The hardest part of making hot coffee is access to hot water. Plug this into the RV 12v socket or car and you're off and running! LOL Handpresso Auto Espresso Machine

http://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #127

What really makes the coffee is the bean. Coffee Maker, Keurig is over priced yuppie machine, Drip and percolator coffee pots let grounds get in but let some grounds in coffee. No matter which type machine you use there is something someone won't like. Canned coffee and coffee beans should be kept in freezer so they stay fresh.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
No discussion of coffee should happen without talking about purified water since that cup of coffee is about 99% water. Chlorinated or well water WILL effect the flavor of your coffee. Filter your water through a carbon filter or bring some purified water for best results. Remember, pure water has no odor, color, or taste.
X2 times 2!

I do not consider myself a coffee snob per se, but I dearly love coffee and a good 'cuppa (tea for those who have not lived or visited the Isles in the afternoon.

About 4 years ago at a conference, I was introduced to a Keurig. One cup later I was on my laptop ordering a unit so it would be waiting for me when I got home.

The *big* advantage I had that week at the conference was the chance to sample many different K-Cups (this was a large office and they had over 50 folks in their Keurig Club!)

After that experience, what John said about water goes for your K-Cup selection as well. Folger's or 8 O'Clock Coffee is still (IMHO) crap coffee dressed up in a fancy K-Cup.

Here are my absolute favorite K-Cups, all are bold dark roast. All come in the sealed k-cups (the "coffee filter" K-cups are a mistake IMO for freshness reasons cited elsewhere in this thread).

Tim Horton's Midnight Magic (Starbucks ain't got nothing on Timmy's Coffee!....Canada done good here )
Jet Fuel (yeah the name is silly but it's a good cup of coffee!)
REVV (see above about name)
Black Tiger
Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve
Marley Coffee Jamaican Blue Mountain (most expensive K-cup out there, but a fine weekend cup of coffee!)

If any of these roasts interest you, I found this link - it is a Dark Roast sampler pack:
16 K-cup Deep Dark Roast Sampler Pack, You Are Guaranteed 16 Different Dark Roast K-cups! Black Tiger, Parisian Nights, Midnight Magic+: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Not bad @ $14 and I think it has all the roasts I mentioned (except the Jamaican Blue)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #129

I picked up a French coffee press at a garage sale a few years ago and found it is perfect for camping. We store the coarse ground coffee in the freezer, boil the water (carbon filtered is best) on the stove or over a fire. With the grounds in the bottom of the press we pour in the hot water and stir. In four minutes we press it down with the press and, pour out our fresh brewed coffee. Nothing like a steaming hot cup on a chilly morning!
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #130
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2 times 2!

I do not consider myself a coffee snob per se, but I dearly love coffee and a good 'cuppa (tea for those who have not lived or visited the Isles in the afternoon.

About 4 years ago at a conference, I was introduced to a Keurig. One cup later I was on my laptop ordering a unit so it would be waiting for me when I got home.

The *big* advantage I had that week at the conference was the chance to sample many different K-Cups (this was a large office and they had over 50 folks in their Keurig Club!)

After that experience, what John said about water goes for your K-Cup selection as well. Folger's or 8 O'Clock Coffee is still (IMHO) crap coffee dressed up in a fancy K-Cup.

Here are my absolute favorite K-Cups, all are bold dark roast. All come in the sealed k-cups (the "coffee filter" K-cups are a mistake IMO for freshness reasons cited elsewhere in this thread).

Tim Horton's Midnight Magic (Starbucks ain't got nothing on Timmy's Coffee!....Canada done good here )

Jet Fuel (yeah the name is silly but it's a good cup of coffee!)

REVV (see above about name)

Black Tiger

Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve

Marley Coffee Jamaican Blue Mountain (most expensive K-cup out there, but a fine weekend cup of coffee!)

If any of these roasts interest you, I found this link - it is a Dark Roast sampler pack:

16 K-cup Deep Dark Roast Sampler Pack, You Are Guaranteed 16 Different Dark Roast K-cups! Black Tiger, Parisian Nights, Midnight Magic+: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Not bad @ $14 and I think it has all the roasts I mentioned (except the Jamaican Blue)

I had a relatively same experience with my first Keurig. The company I had joined sent me to their main headquarters in Boston, where they had Keurig's throughout the office. As soon as I was home at the end of the week I was buying my first brewer online. And this was back in 2005 when I had to get my coffee shipped to my parent's seasonal in Michigan because nobody sold Keurig in Canada.

I bought it more for the fact that I'd have about 4 cups of coffee throughout the day, at around 2-3 hours apart. So it was silly to brew a pot, even a small one, for only a single cup at a time.

I also agree about Timmy's coffee, much better than most of the other coffee shops I've found. If I can tangent (read highjack) this thread for a second, I was once working a project in Maine with a guy from Texas. Near the office there was both a Timmy's and a Dunken Donuts. Almost every day we we're buying a coffee for each other, me trying to convince him Timmy's was better, him trying to convince me DD's was better.