Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
I prefer the pour over method for making coffee.

Melitta[emoji768] Thermal Stainless 8-Cup Pour-Over Coffeemaker

Pour Over brewing takes a bit of time and manual work. It does not use electric like the automatic drip coffee makers.

If you have the time and like the fun, you'll enjoy the rich taste and flavors of the pourover coffee. It allows you full control over the brew.

Personally, I like to brew coffee with a filter-cone, but have to confess that it is in fact a bit tedious and can make a little mess if you are not careful enough. When I don't have the time, I just turn on my auto drip and have it make the coffee for me. Of course, when I do make coffee with pour over coffee makers I really like the delicious taste and temperature of the coffee.

Pour Over Brewer Advantages

The pourover coffee maker method is good because...

It makes great-tasting, rich-flavored coffee.

It allows you full control over the coffee brewing.

It has a small footprint.

It is affordable.

It spares the problems common with electric coffee makers (spills, malfunctions and more).

Clean up is easy, unlike the mess left by another rich-flavored coffee maker - French Press coffee maker.

You can also use regular grind, instead of the coarser grind rather recommended for French Press coffeemakers.

It eliminates bitterness of the coffee.

It does not require a power connection.

It makes really hot coffee, brewed by a kettle, unlike many electric coffeemakers that brew at lower temperatures. The higher temperatures are good for both more flavor extraction of the coffee beans, and simply serving a hot cup of coffee.

Pour-Over Drawback

One drawback is that the coffee will cool soon if you don’t drink it right after brewing as it doesn’t have a hot plate to keep it warm, unless you put the unused coffee immediately in a thermos to keep its heat.

Read more from Original Website: Pour Over Coffee Makers - How To Make Great Coffee with Manual Pourover Brewers

Another Pour-Over Fan here. Never have to worry about not having coffee with or without electric, and it makes great coffee.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #482

Some friends we camped with last weekend had the Nespresso Machine. I Have to say I was VERY impressed with the taste. Got home and immediately looked into buying one, but between the cost of the machine and the cost of the pods, we decided we would stick with what we already have.

2017 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS Solid Surface "Belle"
2010 Ford F150
"Life is Better in the Outdoors"
Days Camped 2016 - 28 days
Days Camped 2017 22days w/lots more planned
stoppercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by backon4 View Post
Another Pour-Over Fan here. Never have to worry about not having coffee with or without electric, and it makes great coffee.
If you are willing to work that hard, then go French press.

If you have asked, why coffee cannot taste as good as it smells, then go French press and get a cup that is hot and tastes better than it smells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppercamper View Post
Some friends we camped with last weekend had the Nespresso Machine. I Have to say I was VERY impressed with the taste. Got home and immediately looked into buying one, but between the cost of the machine and the cost of the pods, we decided we would stick with what we already have.
Got it! Luv it! Think of it as an adjunct to your coffee drinking. I usually fix an espresso in the afternoon. Their coffee is VERY high quality. The Cuban is delicious. We shopped around and found a kitchen aid Nesspro machine with a coupon for an additional 100 pods + a frother for ½ price and the pods/frother were free.

Wife and I are serious coffee drinkers...not quantity but quality! We both lived in Spain and Italy and she lived in Pairs for some time. Wife says its almost as good as being over there...worth your money! Just remember its not your morning cup...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
If you are willing to work that hard, then go French press.
++++1...that's what we do.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #485

Like many others I have tried various methods. I have the propane powered drip machine but it is not really suitable for indoor use as it throws off lots of heat and fumes as well as taking up a lot of valuable counter space. Also, the stainless carafe is not insulated so you need to run the heat on low or reheat every time you want a refill. I had the luxury of full hookups while campground hosting for several months this Summer and used a cheap single cup brewer from Farberware. It is flakey and glitchy but when it does work it makes a decent cup and I used the little red refillable filter ($5 at Safeway or Walmart) with my ground coffee. I usually set it up on the hang-on accessory table outside where there is a convenience outlet. On the days when DW stayed over or we had guests I used my tried and true Melitta pour-over that has been trailering/tenting with me for over 40 years now. It was getting harder to find the #6 filters in the markets but #4 works. You just have to pour more slowly. I found I could order the #6 from Walmart.com and to my surprise I found some off-brand #6's in the little market by the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	melitta.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	153598  
Old 10-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #486

As an aside; My wife and I have Ozark Trail 30oz stainless insulated tumblers. A 10 cup pot will fill both of them and the coffee stays hot for about 4 hours. We make a pot first thing in the morning, fill the cups are good for the morning. Takes care of worrying about hot to keep the coffee hot for refills.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
As an aside; My wife and I have Ozark Trail 30oz stainless insulated tumblers. A 10 cup pot will fill both of them and the coffee stays hot for about 4 hours. We make a pot first thing in the morning, fill the cups are good for the morning. Takes care of worrying about hot to keep the coffee hot for refills.
Several years back I bought a pack of 2 stainless vacuum tumblers. My business took me from Phoenix to La a couple of times a year and its a solid all day drive. I grabbed one of those bumblers I have but never used and filled it with my coffee and headed out.

I soon ALWAYS kept them in my car and used them on that and other long trips and I called them my Los Angeles coffee cups as when I rolled into that Hampton Inn where I stayed and when I rolled into my garage when I got home I finished my last sips of that coffee when I arrived. Not sure who made them but HOT coffee for a full 8 hrs. IIRC I think they held about 12 oz maybe a bit more.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #488

I've seen lots of folks voting for the Keurig coffee makers and a hand full of French press affectionados but I found the 'Merican version of the French press is even better. I bought an AeroPress about 10+ years ago and have never looked back. It works on the same principal as the French press but is much easier to use & clean up. I buy good coffee, grind it prior to the trip and then all I need is almost boiling water to get a great cup of coffee. The DW doesn't drink coffee so the one cup at a time route works for me!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I've seen lots of folks voting for the Keurig coffee makers and a hand full of French press affectionados but I found the 'Merican version of the French press is even better. I bought an AeroPress about 10+ years ago and have never looked back. It works on the same principal as the French press but is much easier to use & clean up. I buy good coffee, grind it prior to the trip and then all I need is almost boiling water to get a great cup of coffee. The DW doesn't drink coffee so the one cup at a time route works for me!
I am a sipper and about 0630 I fix my first cup, I will drink on that till about 0830, then do my second cup which will take me to about 1030, all the while its hot, my French press is a vacuum canister and with a 15 min steep its still near boiling. When I take my first sip out of my Stanley 18 oz vacuum mug, i place the lid on it and that last sip around 0830 is still quite hot.

I know it tastes better than it smells and it smells great, very chocolate flavor from the Italian roast and the Turkish grind, the flavors REALLY POP!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsimon View Post
There is nothing like a good cup of coffee to start your day when camping. We are waiting delivery of our first trailer (Flagstaff 21FB). Just wondering what most people use: electric drip, stove top, etc.
Just an automatic drip pot. Set up outside, barring rain. 1st pot for me and the dog. Second pot when wife gets up.

I have CDO. It's like OCD only in alphabetical order as it should be.
MF5270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF5270 View Post
Just an automatic drip pot. Set up outside, barring rain. 1st pot for me and the dog. Second pot when wife gets up.
I wake up almost every am around 4 or so, what the news programs or find a good movie on TCM with Bogie and Bacall, then about 6:30 its feet on the floor as I head to the kitchen to make my first cup o joe. Wife will sleep in to about 7:30 giving me time to relax, do some e mail as I listen to the news.

We drink a lot of coffee and my wife, a Brit, has her fair share of tea durning the day.

Yesterday I made my run down to Starbucks, gritted my teeth and bought my stockage of Italian Roast whole bean and then had them grind it Turkish (near dust). I'm no fan of Starbucks, but am a frequent user of their services (WiFi) and drink a lot of their coffee in my travels. Their coffee is as as good a quality as you can buy unless you know the local beanery REALLY does buy quality beans (FEW DO!!), which is why most beans are a light roast. The darker the roast the more flavor of the bean is brought out.

Most folks are at best drinking coffee flavored water. If you are not getting flavors of Chocolate, Cherry, Vanilla, tobacco and a myriad flavors dancing across your tongue you are truly missing something.

Life is to short not to drink great coffee!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #492
Mod free 5er

Automatic drip pot on the outside, rain or shine as we never retract the awning which has awning brackets and poles installed on it. Deploying the awning is no. 4 on the set up list.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #493
Wrench Turnin Fool

I've been using my first French press.
I love it, the flavors seem so much more complex than when it's dripped. We used to use a percolator, but it takes forever and tastes burned sometimes.
I have a Keurig at home, but prefer buying and grinding fresh quality beans.
I usually buy my coffee from a semi local (it's about 45 minutes from home) roaster, best coffee I've ever tasted if you're ever in Chestnut Hill PA stop in at the Chestnut Hill coffee company.
Life IS to short for average coffee

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #494
KnP

A Keurig with the detachable "My K Cup" taste as good as a French Press. The good thing is, you can add as many grinds as you want and the filter is reusable.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #495
Wrench Turnin Fool

I have a reusable filter for mine... But the press is different, I enjoy the process 😁

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Much of the time we camp without power, so we use an old fashion peculator....even when we have electric, so we don't have to carry a 2nd system.
A few years ago when camping with a friend he served morning coffee and it was the best cup I ever had. His secret? He uses an old fashion percolator, purchased at Goodwill for $3.99. I was hooked and today have a collection of old percolators all bought at second hand stores, none more than $5.00. If on power we have an electric percolator and if no power have a trusty old Pyrex percolator. Now when people join me for morning coffee they all agree it is the best they have tasted.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #497

Instant when away. Microwave the water 1.45 and ahhhh.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #498

We've been using the Keurig for several years now but when Costco have their next promotional sale for Nespresso I think it will be time to jump ship and make that purchase.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #499
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
I have a reusable filter for mine... But the press is different, I enjoy the process 😁
Hey.... nothing wrong with that
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #500

If you like bold coffee and have or have tried a single serve...Newman’s own extra bold special dark organic. It isn’t French roast. Best coffee I ever had.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote