Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #581

OK, so I put some Folgers in the Moka Pot...

Yum. Kinda like Perc coffee... but more intense. I like it. Totally different flavor.

What are some good brands of Espresso coffee? I know I can get Lavazza in the black can at WalMart... any good?

Don't need to go full coffee snob, I'm just playing and expanding my horizons LOL

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #582
Trailer Park Supervisor

Brian and Becky, just get any kind of dark roast beans and grind them finely, all I ever used.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #583

Sounds good... maybe time to get a grinder. This is getting expensive LOL

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
OK, so I put some Folgers in the Moka Pot...

Yum. Kinda like Perc coffee... but more intense. I like it. Totally different flavor.

What are some good brands of Espresso coffee? I know I can get Lavazza in the black can at WalMart... any good?

Don't need to go full coffee snob, I'm just playing and expanding my horizons LOL
I shop Sam's Club and Costco for the Starbucks French or Expresso roast. 2 1/2 lb bag for about $15 bucks. Most of the stores have a grinder. 2 scoops or about 2 teaspoons worth will make a strong 18 oz cup o joe.

Starbucks has as good a coffee as anyone out there unless you get into nose bleed beans that can run from $20+ per lb.

And YES I don't like Starbucks or the guy that started it, but there beans are very high quality and the buying power of Sam's and Costco at less than $7 bucks a lb is about the best buy out there.

I have done a LOT of experimenting from high $$$ to custom roast and none of compares with Sb for flavor. You will not do better unless you spend time in France, Spain or Italy. My wife is from Europe, went to school in France and lived in Spain and Italy, she knows her coffee.

TIP: As you peruse the aisles, make sure those bags and cans of coffee have this written on them: 100% Coffee beans if it does not say it, take a pass (unless it has Chickory, which adds a certain flavor I happen to like).

If it does not say 100% you are getting all kinds of stuff in there.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Great granddaughter loves coffee, she is three years old. I use instant coffee and boiling water, put a little sweet n low in and then start adding ice cream until the ice cream doesn’t melt. Sometimes I fill a paper cup with ice cream then put in microwave to melt the ice cream. Great granddaughter will wake up at four in the morning wanting coffee. That’s some really good coffee
My wife still talks about the 'choo choo' coffee her Grandfather would to make her during her childhood. From her description it sounds like it was about 1/3 coffee, 1/3 milk and 1/3 sugar. You're not just making coffee, you're making memories that will last for years to come.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #586

I used to use one of those Moka Pots. Got tired of how much time it takes to make the coffee and clean it. It does make decent espresso drinks though.

Once I got a Saeco espresso machine given to me, I was spoiled for life.

Not a huge fan of Starbucks because it costs so much but I do like the guy who started it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #587

For years I was happy with the pre-ground stuff in the red can, until I met my future wife, a closet Polynesian, who turned me on to Kona blends. We buy it whole bean, I prefer the darker roasts that make a pretty decent espresso when ground finely enough and properly brewed. Generally I'm fine with either my home Melitta drip machine or the french press when camping. The key to good coffee is not to use the typical drip machine with the glass carafe and hotplate. This just stews the brew while it sits there and soon gives it that nasty cooked taste. Our drip machine uses an insulated stainless steel carafe which keeps the coffee plenty hot without burning it, a definite improvement.
On a side note, my DW is Catholic. I've asked her if she would ever consider giving up coffee for lent. I got "the look", which pretty much brought an end to that conversation, no additional discussion required.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
I shop Sam's Club and Costco for the Starbucks French or Expresso roast. 2 1/2 lb bag for about $15 bucks. Most of the stores have a grinder. 2 scoops or about 2 teaspoons worth will make a strong 18 oz cup o joe.

Starbucks has as good a coffee as anyone out there unless you get into nose bleed beans that can run from $20+ per lb.

And YES I don't like Starbucks or the guy that started it, but there beans are very high quality and the buying power of Sam's and Costco at less than $7 bucks a lb is about the best buy out there.

I have done a LOT of experimenting from high $$$ to custom roast and none of compares with Sb for flavor. You will not do better unless you spend time in France, Spain or Italy. My wife is from Europe, went to school in France and lived in Spain and Italy, she knows her coffee.

TIP: As you peruse the aisles, make sure those bags and cans of coffee have this written on them: 100% Coffee beans if it does not say it, take a pass (unless it has Chickory, which adds a certain flavor I happen to like).

If it does not say 100% you are getting all kinds of stuff in there.
Costco- just got two bags of Jose’s two pound bags of whole beans. $9.99 not on sale. Sometimes get Starbucks French roast for the same price on sale. Make a pot a day at home or away....the same or better than Starbucks (but I don’t want/need latte/mocha/spice/Frappuccino in my cup O’Joe)
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Sounds good... maybe time to get a grinder. This is getting expensive LOL
Grinders are cheap. I've had the same one for nearly 20 years and it cost about $15 back then. Same one still costs about $20 at wallyworld.

Trader Joes has good whole bean coffee for the price.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Costco- just got two bags of Jose’s two pound bags of whole beans. $9.99 not on sale. Sometimes get Starbucks French roast for the same price on sale. Make a pot a day at home or away....the same or better than Starbucks (but I don’t want/need latte/mocha/spice/Frappuccino in my cup O’Joe)
I don't remember ever seeing that cheap where I live. I usually get about 6 of the 2.5 lb bags, grind 2 and keep them all in the freezer except about 8 oz I keep in a jar next to my French Press.

The way you have to approach the Frappuccino is...it's NOT coffee, just a flavored drink you have from time to time. In fact I don't know if they even put coffee in it, I can't taste it. Rare I go in the store, mostly to buy my wife some kind of drinking cup they have. Got her one that says Texas on the other day.

On occasion, I stop in to grab a second cup of coffee if I leave out early in the am. The other day I had an early meeting in town and had finished my 1st home cup and I stopped on the way down into downtown.

They had a really cool thermos on the shelf but it was $34 bucks, I said what the heck its a Christmas present to me. I grab it and head to the counter and see the coffee of the day is Italian Roast, one of my FAVS! I said I will take this and fill it with it you Italian Roast coffee of the day. The little girl says we are out! OUT, how can you be out, its not even 7 am, do you mean you need to make another pot? No, we are out of Italian Roast beans. OK, then how can it be the Coffee of the Day? She looked sheepish and I don't guess it can. Well OK I will take one of the other lighter brews.

She rings me up, charges me for a refill and says the $34 thermos is on Starbucks.

Kona is good stuff, if you have not tried it, give it a shot, not cheap, but rich, full-bodied, very flavorful. I used to go to Hawaii on business fairly regularly and would get it over there and bring it home, but now retired and Hawaii is not on my RV stop.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #591

For the Community drinkers out there... If you aren't signed-up for their e-mails... I suggest you do. They will have a sale 25-30-35% and $45 gets free freight most of the time...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #592
Trailer Park Supervisor

Oh man, I miss Community coffee! Thanks for the tip!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #593

While I love my coffee and every sip is great, the one that always satisfies the most is the very FIRST sip of the morning.

And YOURS?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #594
Wrench Turnin Fool

I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me put our espresso machine in the outdoor kitchen space...Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2086649861420765.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	197236

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #595

I love about a cup and half every morning...
No matter what I try I always come back to just straight black Kona.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #596

This is my morning friend...

Usually one of these in the morning gets me through the day... every once in awhile, an afternoon dose is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morning friend.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	197243  

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 02-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #597
I Break Everything

I believe we have almost every machine or thing that percolates coffee there is, at home. I read someone wanted an espresso machine for their outdoor kitchen. I'd have to say no. We own a commercial espresso machine at home. It's a Rancillio Epoca 2 group. You HAVE to use filtered water, not you're everyday Britta or Walmart hose filter will do, unless you like descaling on a monumental level. Our set up is pretty complicated to say the least. Nothing beats it though. Once you get your grind right, use the beans you like...it's golden.

On the road we have a Nespresso Delonghi Lattissima Pro, we have one at home too in the kitchen. It's pretty good for a shot on the spot with a built in frother as well. All that said sometimes a good cup from a percolator pot on the campfire is pretty awesome as well.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #598

Same vein Mikel68, just old school here. been about europe multi times for long stents, and I still prefer maxwell house nine scoops in a west bend percolator. Dont matter to me if it's from the pecolator in the house, coach, or the one we keep in the car. Waffle house in a pinch....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #599
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
I believe we have almost every machine or thing that percolates coffee there is, at home. I read someone wanted an espresso machine for their outdoor kitchen. I'd have to say no. We own a commercial espresso machine at home. It's a Rancillio Epoca 2 group. You HAVE to use filtered water, not you're everyday Britta or Walmart hose filter will do, unless you like descaling on a monumental level. Our set up is pretty complicated to say the least. Nothing beats it though. Once you get your grind right, use the beans you like...it's golden.

On the road we have a Nespresso Delonghi Lattissima Pro, we have one at home too in the kitchen. It's pretty good for a shot on the spot with a built in frother as well. All that said sometimes a good cup from a percolator pot on the campfire is pretty awesome as well.
That was me, and this is my machine... I'm well aware of the requirements.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190111_090120.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	197249Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1542432540050.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	197250

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote