Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #61
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

pepsi thirty then beer thirty then vodka thirty then bam
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #62
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaBill View Post
Now that you mention it, while it does fit a travel mug, it does not fit the taller ones. I too have some mugs that won't fit.
you have shorter travel mugs????

ever since we bought "stubby", we've been looking for short mugs! Can't find 'em anywhere!

I think i'm talking myself into a new coffee machine....and now I've got some good idears
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #63
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
It's not the equipment it's what you put in it.
I won't support keurig, they'll be the death of premium coffee since the not only control the equipment but also the product, they decide hat you get and at what quality, and because you're choosing from who they partnered with, none of them gold cup standard coffees, those entrepreneurs and roasters breaking new ground no longer have a device to sell to in your home.

I know it's a rant. So be it.
I put my Folger's Simply Smooth in the K-cup - most delicious coffee I've ever had!

And we got some of those ground coffee packets for christmas and dump those in the K-cup too.

Works pretty well
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #64

We use a 4 cup drip with a stainless steel carafe when we have electricity...if no electrical, then a french press with hot water from the propane stove. No Starbucks for us if there is a choice...... Cravens roast (Earth and Sky) is my all time favorite....dark, rich, smooth with no after taste. LOL

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #65
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsimon View Post
There is nothing like a good cup of coffee to start your day when camping. We are waiting delivery of our first trailer (Flagstaff 21FB). Just wondering what most people use: electric drip, stove top, etc.
Congratulations on your new unit! I love coffee too, the fresher the better!

I would recommend getting a kerug only if you get the single water serving kind. The one's with a water reservoir tend to attract water ants and other bugs. More than once I've found things floating at the top.

Something that can be really good, though more time consuming, is the French Press. You get a lot more flavor and it's a bit stronger. You just need hot water, a french press ($20) and Coffee Grounds for a french press. Most coffee shops and grinders give you this options if they are good. You just have to make sure the grind is big enough. I know, it may sound complicated, but actually it's not that bad!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #66
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
you have shorter travel mugs???? ...ever since we bought "stubby", we've been looking for short mugs! Can't find 'em anywhere!
There's a lot of shorter mugs out there, I wanted stainless steel though so I checked Amazon. It's been awhile since I ordered my mug, but I think this is the one that works for me:
Amazon.com: Trudeau Donoti Desk Mug, Satin Finish: Kitchen & Dining
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #67
Site Team

If you ever camp off the grid- No hookups you'll want a stove top
percolator. You can get fancy stainless one's or cheap aluminum in the
camping isle of your favorite mega store or sporting goods store.
Some have to have the "log cabin" blue speckled enamel but to me it all tastes the same!

It's amazing that some folks (youngsters) have never heard of a stove top
percolator

This item can come in handy at home too, imagine ice storm, blizzard, power outage.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #68
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
If you ever camp off the grid- No hookups you'll want a stove top
percolator. You can get fancy stainless one's or cheap aluminum in the
camping isle of your favorite mega store or sporting goods store.
Some have to have the "log cabin" blue speckled enamel but to me it all tastes the same!

It's amazing that some folks (youngsters) have never heard of a stove top
percolator

This item can come in handy at home too, imagine ice storm, blizzard, power outage.
I have a percolater stored right next to my 8 track tapes......

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #69
Now a "Top Member"

Nothing like a good cup of Community Coffee, with Chickory. Yummum, dat sho is good stuff!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #70
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I'm the only one that drinks coffee in our household, but for me it's the Keurig. No cleaning pots, disposing of grinds and filters, or cleaning baskets. I have the large unit at home and the single cup unit in the camper. It's nice for the kids making hot chocolate and tea for wife.
Same here, I'm the only coffee drinker, but they like the Spice Apple Cider. I have one at home. My wife bought one for me to use in the motorhome through Kohl's when Keurig had the rebates back in October. By the time she was done with 30% off, $35 rebate, $10 Kohl's Cash for each $50 spent, Free Shipping to the house and a seperate box of Donut Shoppe Coffee. She paid $48 for the machine that retails for $189. Usually can be found for $149 at most retailers. Too cheap to pass up.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #71

In about a years time, we experienced 3 major multi-day power outages at home. The old stove top percolator sure came in handy and the coffee was delicious too! I was making the rounds with coffee for the neighbors each morning and it was appreciated by all.
jthomp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post

HAHA I know what you mean about the Baileys!!

Others have also mentioned using the ecocup. To me that seems to take away the convenience of the whole KCup system. The ability to just use the cup and throw away was the main reason to use them otherwise its the same amount of work. Except now that work is for each and every cup vs each pot.

Oh well it's going to be a while before I invest in one as we have a brand new coffee maker in the trailer now.

Oh and welcome to the forum!!!
The Eccocup is user friendly to those that only drink one or two cups of coffee where in the conventional sense the pot would go to waste.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #73
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
The Eccocup is user friendly to those that only drink one or two cups of coffee where in the conventional sense the pot would go to waste.
That makes sense.

I guess cause I drink 4 or 5 cups it doesn't make sense for me.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #74

I am the inpatient sort of person and can not wait for my coffee to get done in the am. And some mornings a few pots of coffee are in order while camping. the first pot goes into my bubba mug to take out on the lake in the boat fishing. Then the second pot to go with breakfast when I come in from the lake.
We have the Bunn in our stick house and in the camper. It brews a pot in minutes and recovers fast for the second pot. I also keep my old percolator pot for on the colman stove for if the power goes out!!!!
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #75

Pour over method

I prefer the pour over method for making coffee.

Melitta® Thermal Stainless 8-Cup Pour-Over Coffeemaker

Pour Over brewing takes a bit of time and manual work. It does not use electric like the automatic drip coffee makers.

If you have the time and like the fun, you'll enjoy the rich taste and flavors of the pourover coffee. It allows you full control over the brew.

Personally, I like to brew coffee with a filter-cone, but have to confess that it is in fact a bit tedious and can make a little mess if you are not careful enough. When I don't have the time, I just turn on my auto drip and have it make the coffee for me. Of course, when I do make coffee with pour over coffee makers I really like the delicious taste and temperature of the coffee.

Pour Over Brewer Advantages

The pourover coffee maker method is good because...

It makes great-tasting, rich-flavored coffee.
It allows you full control over the coffee brewing.
It has a small footprint.
It is affordable.
It spares the problems common with electric coffee makers (spills, malfunctions and more).
Clean up is easy, unlike the mess left by another rich-flavored coffee maker - French Press coffee maker.
You can also use regular grind, instead of the coarser grind rather recommended for French Press coffeemakers.
It eliminates bitterness of the coffee.
It does not require a power connection.
It makes really hot coffee, brewed by a kettle, unlike many electric coffeemakers that brew at lower temperatures. The higher temperatures are good for both more flavor extraction of the coffee beans, and simply serving a hot cup of coffee.

Pour-Over Drawback

One drawback is that the coffee will cool soon if you don’t drink it right after brewing as it doesn’t have a hot plate to keep it warm, unless you put the unused coffee immediately in a thermos to keep its heat.

Read more from Original Website: Pour Over Coffee Makers - How To Make Great Coffee with Manual Pourover Brewers
Attached Images

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #76

Smile Coffee

Hi all, Im the only coffee drinker. Use the small Keurig in erv, a big keurig at home. The wife does tea, Im partial to Hazelnut coffee.
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #77

We take the Kurig when we go camping. The coffee pods we purchase from Costco in Kalispell, MT. I don't recall the full name of the pods because I've run out now but I know they are only $25 for a box of about 80 and had San Francisco in the name. They were not the usual K-cups - these had sort of a fine mesh rounded bowl under the foil cap. This mesh isn't pierced from below like the ordinary K-cup as the water (coffee) drains through. If I make this in a contigo travel mug (Costco again) I can nurse one large cup for several hours.

Roll on summer when I can get back down to MT with the trailer and stock up with coffee (and good very strong cheddar from Costco).

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #78

+ 1 for a percolater. Coming from a tenting perspective it's simple to make a cuppa brew whether using a fire or a stove. Most important is what brand of coffee you like and how strong. One has control over those things. Additional flavour may come from cream or sugar or Bailey's or other. While other systems may be easier milady & myself find brewing a pot of coffee over a flame to be part of the morning ritual, to be savoured along with whatever breakfast we decide on and while deciding what adventure we will get up to that day.
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #79
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
We take the Kurig when we go camping. The coffee pods we purchase from Costco in Kalispell, MT. I don't recall the full name of the pods because I've run out now but I know they are only $25 for a box of about 80 and had San Francisco in the name. They were not the usual K-cups - these had sort of a fine mesh rounded bowl under the foil cap. This mesh isn't pierced from below like the ordinary K-cup as the water (coffee) drains through.
being famous for my "thriftiness", i wouldn't buy a Keurig, because of the cost for the cups. but i found a Keurig Special Edition on clearance at Walmart.
so, i bought it but was going to return it if i couldn't find a way to get cups for 50 cents or less.
i found the ones mentioned above, San Francisco Bay French Roast(box of 80). they cost about 34 cents each.
and Costco, under the Kirkland name, just came out with their own Keurig cups, in a box of 100. i think they are about 40 cents a cup.
and i buy at Kohl's, when i get a 30% off coupon. i then get them to price match Walmart's price of a box of 18 at $10.88. that brings the per cup price to about 42 cents and i can get a variety of flavors there.

so, with a little research, i happily use my Keurig but i don't take it dry camping. use my little 4 cup percolator or my Coleman stovetop drip maker.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #80

I prefer the flavor of coffee when brewed in the percolator, then add the Baileys and you're off to a good camping morning, now I'm jonesing to go camping!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote