Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 12:47 AM   #601
Retired Old Fart

Sigh.... reading this thread has reminded me how much I missed the old school coffee from a low tech percolator pot (nothing like morning watch coffee at the station "back in the day"). So, I ended up buying a stainless Farberware 8 cup model for $19 off Amazon last night on a prime special. Should be here tomorrow!!!

Time to put up the Bunn MCU, press pot, AeroPress, and the Bonavita for a while.

AeroPress makes a great cup. My daily goto is the Bunn with the "fresh ground" tray installed, and the Bonavita BV1900 is great for when friends are over. Fresh ground beans for me are the only way to go.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:52 AM   #602

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've got the same percolator... i like it.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Sigh.... reading this thread has reminded me how much I missed the old school coffee from a low tech percolator pot (nothing like morning watch coffee at the station "back in the day"). So, I ended up buying a stainless Farberware 8 cup model for $19 off Amazon last night on a prime special. Should be here tomorrow!!!

Time to put up the Bunn MCU, press pot, AeroPress, and the Bonavita for a while.

AeroPress makes a great cup. My daily goto is the Bunn with the "fresh ground" tray installed, and the Bonavita BV1900 is great for when friends are over. Fresh ground beans for me are the only way to go.
Growing up we had a gas stove with 4 burners and a griddle in the center. Dad had adjusted the pilot light which was under the far end of the griddle. There sat the Percolator which was large and the coffee was hot till dad drank it all. He also had a #10 can of A&P Coffee that was used for bacon grease, it stayed liquid. Mama also kept breakfast leftovers, soda biscuits and bacon.

My granddad had a similar setup only his stove was wood burning. He did use a Perc, but rather just a big pot and he dumped grounds in it and you dipped your cup into it to get your coffee. Typical breakfast was Salted pork belly, Sorghum molasses, eggs and soda biscuits. Granddad did not have a fridge, saw no need for it. The Salted pork belly and molasses all came off his farm. He died in '68 at around 90 years of age when he dropped dead plowing the cotton field that summer...BEHIND 2 Mules.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #604
Trailer Park Supervisor

dward, you will not be sorry getting that Farberware perc. I have the same one for camping. Let me know if you need any tips using it, if you forgot how!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #605

So I was just at Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and saw an aluminum percolator there but it didn't have a handle so I passed.

Just ordered this one.

Kris - I need help on coffee/water blend and how to grind.
Been a long time.
Looking forward to meeting you in Williamsburg in October.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #606
Trailer Park Supervisor

I've been using pre-ground Folgers, but guessing you can grind you're own, grind it just until it is a wee bit coarser than it would be for a drip coffee maker. For medium strength, I use 6 level tablespoons of coffee for the full pot, which is eight 5 oz. cups (fill the pot to the bottom of the hole for the spout). If you wet the basket first, it will help keep small particles of coffee from sifting through. After it begins boiling/perking, reduce burner to med or low. Let it perk for 5 to 7 minutes. Enjoy a coffee buzz like you've never felt before. Make sure bathroom is nearby. That's it!

I have the Farberware 'Yosemite', guaranteed for life
Old 02-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Enjoy a coffee buzz like you've never felt before. Make sure bathroom is nearby. That's it!

LOL!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #608

I am a snob for my home roasted Guatemalan coffee. Fresh ground each morning. I use a French Press and transfer to a good vacuum bottle to keep it hot.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #609
Retired Old Fart

Woo-hoo, the Farberware perk pot came today!!!!!!

Had to grind some Guatemalan/Antigua whole bean and make a 4 cup pot. Ummmm, that was some good stuff. Of course the wife is giving me the stink eye for buying another appliance for the kitchen. I told her it was for the trailer, but she is not buying it since it's sitting in her kitchen

Instructions said to let it perk for 5 to 7 minutes, but I waited until I could see a hint of color in the dome water and ended up letting it run a full 10 minutes. I ran 3 rounded tablespoons of fresh ground to the 4 cup measure inside the pot. Good flavor!

The pot is thick metal and all components are stainless steel (except the handle, glass perk dome and the part that the perk dome screws into). Good thick and well made. Great deal for $19 on Amazon!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #610
Trailer Park Supervisor

And no electricity needed!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #611

Quote:
I've been using pre-ground Folgers, but guessing you can grind you're own, grind it just until it is a wee bit coarser than it would be for a drip coffee maker. For medium strength, I use 6 level tablespoons of coffee for the full pot, which is eight 5 oz. cups (fill the pot to the bottom of the hole for the spout). If you wet the basket first, it will help keep small particles of coffee from sifting through. After it begins boiling/perking, reduce burner to med or low. Let it perk for 5 to 7 minutes. Enjoy a coffee buzz like you've never felt before. Make sure bathroom is nearby. That's it!

I have the Farberware 'Yosemite', guaranteed for life
I've been making coffee like this on my stove top percolators for the last 45 years.
Have 2.
One is the standard 12 cup size that we usually get 4-5 muggs, the other is a left over from my long ago back packing days that we barely get 2 good muggs out of
coney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #612
Trailer Park Supervisor

My backpacking days were fueled by 'cowboy coffee' in one of those old enamel coated coffee pots I bought at Hermann's Sporting Goods. Remember Hermann's? They used to be in every mall in NJ.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #613

I still have a pot like that in my garage!
Old 02-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #614

My Dad and I drank Instant coffee until he died and he made a mix of ground coffee w/ chicory and Instant coffee. He drank with cream and I drank black but I will tell you it was very coffee and by the time it cooled enough most of the grounds had sunk to the bottom.

Dad also did something I have NEVER seen anyone else do.

His first cup with the Instant/grounds mix, he stood at the stove till the water boiled and the whistle blew. He poured in his mug and drank it in one gulp, then he fixed his 2nd cup and sat down to read the morning paper. I like it hot but NOT that hot!
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #615
Trailer Park Supervisor

Great story Don! Reminds me of a song I used to like called 'Haunted House'';

In the kitchen my stove was a blazin hot
The coffee was a boilin in the pot
The grease had melted in my pan
I had a hunk of meet in my hand
From out of space there sat a man
On a hot stove was pots and pans
Say that's hot I began to shout
He drank a hot coffee from the spout
He ate the raw meat right from my hand
Drank the hot grease from the fryin pan
He said to me now you better run
And don't be here when the mornin comes
Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #616

Quote:
My backpacking days were fueled by 'cowboy coffee' in one of those old enamel coated coffee pots I bought at Hermann's Sporting Goods. Remember Hermann's? They used to be in every mall in NJ.
Nah........I'm a Brooklyn transplant. Paragon was my store of choice till I moved to Joisey in the 90's..... Then I became a Campmor customer
coney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #617

I remember ages ago my mom had an old percolator, the name Presto comes to mind. It had a fabric covered power cord and the lights flickered every time she plugged it in. She used it forever, but the drip machines took over, so the coffee was being ground finer and it would fall through the basket and make a mess on the bottom of the pot. She finally gave the old beast up when it started blowing fuses, the replacement drip machine wasn't the same to her, but she got used to it.
I always loved the smell of coffee as a kid but couldn't stand the taste, then I got my first real job that involved working the night shift. I learned to appreciate the stuff pretty quickly after that.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:57 AM   #618

Coffee: Whatever's on sale
Coffeemaker: Whatever the DW has found at Goodwill
Old 02-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #619

Cup in the morning before work. Cup at work and done. Weekends....totally different....2-3 pots before noon. QwikTrip...."Mighty Mocha" if I need a extra pickup.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #620
Retired Old Fart

Back in the day at the station, I made the coffee. We had one pot I specially made for 3 of us on the night shift. It was "extra leaded". After about 3 insulated travel cups of that stuff you could "see the air" and hear colors if you know what I mean. Kept you alert and reactive on a double shift (on the verge of tweeky).