Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Moist Brisket

When we were in Austin, Texas recently we had Blacks BBQ fatty brisket. It was the best and most moist I have ever had. Does anyone know how to smoke it so it will be moist? We have a Big Green Egg we cook on. Rub recipes are also welcome.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #2

Inject it with Apple Juice before placing it in the smoker
dryhorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryhorn2 View Post
Inject it with Apple Juice before placing it in the smoker
We've done that with pork. Thanks!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

No matter what rub you use, always place in the smoker with the fat side up.

Unwrap, wash & clean the brisket good. Remove as much of the silverskin as possible, pulling with a paper towel will keep from slipping thru your fingers, might have to use a very sharp knife to help.
Allow the rub to be on for about 1 1/2 hrs. before placing in the grill. If using the green egg, heat will be directly underneath ~ make sure you have a pan of juice or water between the heat & brisket to catch the drippings and add to moisture level. Smoke for about 2 1/2 hrs. around 275 to 300*F, if using wood chips to crate the smoke - it helps to soak the wood in water so it does smoke and not burn to create a taste or hotter fire.
Take the brisket from the smoker & Texas Wrap (wrap in tin foil), place in the oven around 225* for about an hour.

At least this is how I do mine.

Many dry rubs on the I-net, my choice may not be yours ~ often takes many tries to find what you like so use small briskets until you find your favorite recipe.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:35 AM   #5

Google bludawg's brisket. Its a super easy technique. It's how I do mine. Salt, cracked pepper, garlic power, and onion powder make a great rub.
Bwood BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #6

Check this out. You will get step by step instructions along with numerous other recipes to take home...

Central Florida Fall Eggfest - Celebrate cooking with an egg
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

You could also do what's called the "Texas Crutch" where you wrap it in foil after it reaches a certain temp (usually 160). I've done it when I'm in a hurry and it works...just be careful, if it spends too much time wrapped you will end up with Pot Roast...tasty pot roast though!

But the key to brisket is time and use a meat thermometer. Just keep practicing....its a win-win scenario!

Here's a link explaining the crutch- There is tons of info for and against the crutch on the internet.

How to smoke brisket, the Texas crutch way - Chicago Tribune

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

The key is to be sure that you have the "cap" end of the brisket. Normally that means buying a whole, or packer, brisket in a cryo-pac. The "flat" end that is frequently sold as brisket in the grocery store will never be as moist as the cap. The cap is the thicker end and is a group of muscle and fat oriented a different direction from the flat. If you get sliced brisket that is "moist" or "fatty" in Texas then it is from the point.

Here's a photo of someone's packer brisket on an BGE. Be sure to locate the grain on either point or flat and slice cross-grain. Otherwise, even the most tender brisket can still be chewy. The flat is good for sandwiches if sliced really thin, I think. Some people prefer the flat because it is lean. In competition, the slices judged are always flats and the pit masters frequently inject the flat with beef broth for moistness.

Here's a link to the original page. In my opinion, the author of the page wasted the best part of the brisket by cubing it and making "burnt ends." The point has fantastic flavor and tenderness as slices, too. But, for competition, the point often cubed and smoke a bit more.

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ: RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!: Brisket 101

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Brisket on Egg.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	142747  
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
Broken Toe

12 hours at 180.

New BBQ joint opened up near home. I swear the brisket is the best I ever had. I needled the owner on how to do it. He would not give up his rub recipe, but he told me the secret is 12 hours at 180 degrees.

One of these days, I'll make a 12 hour brisket.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
12 hours at 180.

New BBQ joint opened up near home. I swear the brisket is the best I ever had. I needled the owner on how to do it. He would not give up his rub recipe, but he told me the secret is 12 hours at 180 degrees.

One of these days, I'll make a 12 hour brisket.

Tim
180 is FAR too low for the magic to happen. In order to get that nice crust on the outside a process called the Maillard reaction has to take place. I generally cook briskets, pretty high - Close to 275. This is a very "Texas" styled approach and is used by many of the greats in Texas, including (in my opinion) the best - Aaron Franklin.

The only difference between cooking at 225 and 275 is time. I would rather cook a packer brisket for 10 - 12 hours at 275 rather than 14+ hours at 225. This all changes a bit when I cook pork. If I'm cooking just for my family, I'll cook it a bit slower at a low temp like 225. This will allow significantly more fat to render and produces a leaner product. If I'm cooking for the neighborhood, I'm always going to be running hotter to feed the mob more quickly.

If you're interested in building a "proper" Texas style cooker to produce high quality brisket, I've outlined my latest build here!

Building an Offset Barbecue Smoker - Part One | Cook Eat Travel Repeat
Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by josheaton View Post
If you're interested in building a "proper" Texas style cooker to produce high quality brisket, I've outlined my latest build here!

I don't live in Texas.

All I know is that the brisket was phenominal. If that is the wrong way to cook them, I don't want to be right.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #12

Black's BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
When we were in Austin, Texas recently we had Blacks BBQ fatty brisket. It was the best and most moist I have ever had. Does anyone know how to smoke it so it will be moist? We have a Big Green Egg we cook on. Rub recipes are also welcome.
Black's is one of our favorites. It is about a 3 hour drive for us, but well worth the it. Cooper's is good also and they have several locations in Texas.
gondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
180 is FAR too low for the magic to happen. In order to get that nice crust on the outside a process called the Maillard reaction has to take place. I generally cook briskets, pretty high - Close to 275. This is a very "Texas" styled approach and is used by many of the greats in Texas, including (in my opinion) the best - Aaron Franklin.

The only difference between cooking at 225 and 275 is time. I would rather cook a packer brisket for 10 - 12 hours at 275 rather than 14+ hours at 225. This all changes a bit when I cook pork. If I'm cooking just for my family, I'll cook it a bit slower at a low temp like 225. This will allow significantly more fat to render and produces a leaner product. If I'm cooking for the neighborhood, I'm always going to be running hotter to feed the mob more quickly.

Building an Offset Barbecue Smoker - Part One | Cook Eat Travel Repeat
You will get more opinions on this than a tire question but I'm in the above camp. Each cut of meat will act different too. 2 briskets side by side, same rub, same temp and same time. Another thing on time, use it as a guideline. The meat, all meat, is cooked to temp not time IMHO.
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #14

GREAT!!! now i'm hungry!

I guess I make "pit roast" cause I wrap mine. I have never had a complainer(but when I serve it's always free). I want to slice and serve and serve the next in line...scraping the fat is easier when you ain't got them backed-up in line. The meat in the pan/foil is all edible and ready to serve. I used to cook 20-25 at a time along with 8-10 gallons of beans and other sides...usually serving 3-400 people.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardster View Post
Check this out. You will get step by step instructions along with numerous other recipes to take home...

Central Florida Fall Eggfest - Celebrate cooking with an egg
Thank you for the information. We went to one Egg Fest, which unfortunately was the last time they had one in north central Florida. We enjoyed it though. That is where we purchased our first Big Green Egg.

Thank you everyone for your comments! I appreciate learning from others.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #16

I'm in my 7th year of competition BBQ. We have had 2nd place brisket, and 50th place brisket. I swear it's the hardest piece of meat to cook, especially for KCBS judges.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
I'm in my 7th year of competition BBQ. We have had 2nd place brisket, and 50th place brisket. I swear it's the hardest piece of meat to cook, especially for KCBS judges.
Without a doubt the hardest! Not forgiving at all, but when it's nailed, it's magic. Where are you located polishdon?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Without a doubt the hardest! Not forgiving at all, but when it's nailed, it's magic. Where are you located polishdon?
I'm in the Buffalo NY area.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 AM   #19

After a long reasonably hot smoke I'll wrap my brisket in unlined butcher paper and let it sit in a small ice chest for about an hour. This allows the meat to rest and finish cooking but not damage that all important bark.
No complaints yet!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #20

For the BGE
Large egg at 245-250 degrees indirect with oak.
Brisket rubbed with salt and black pepper.
Cook fat side down until internal temperature reaches 170, then wrap in heavy duty foil return to grill until internal temperature is 203-205.
Rest for at least 1 hour. I like 2 to 3 in a cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_165136-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	160080   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_203715.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	160081  
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote