Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
MI Camperz

Overly sensitive smoke detector

Okay, when I burned the toast and it was black, with smoke billowing out of the toaster, I understood why the smoke detector went off.
Now it's ridiculous. Yesterday I made normal non-burned toast and the thing still screamed. That's overly sensitive if you ask me. What's up with that?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Try bagels! If you have a can of compressed air like for cleaning keyboards, take the cover off and blow it out. Might not fix it but it worked once before on a house smoke detector.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
MI Camperz

Okay, thanks. I'll try to blow out the smoke detector. I like cooking outside, but don't want to be utterly banished to cooking outside either.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #4

Found with ours it was as much the location (too close to the kitchen area) as it was sensitive to smoke. Found that the heat from just the stove being on would sometimes set it off. We moved it further away from where heat generation would be an issue.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #5

I'm not a smoke detector official (is there such a thing?), but is the battery old?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Our smoke detector is sensitive, also. Even with the range hood fan going, and the vent open beside the smoke detector to pull air in through that, the detector still goes off right when the bacon is ready. Who ever is not cooking at the time is ready with a towel to fan that puppy.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Our smoke detector is sensitive, also. Even with the range hood fan going, and the vent open beside the smoke detector to pull air in through that, the detector still goes off right when the bacon is ready. Who ever is not cooking at the time is ready with a towel to fan that puppy.
Glad to see someone else has the same situation. I always just figured it was my cooking. Our joke is the smoke alarm is to let you know when dinner (or breakfast) is ready. I
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #8

Mine goes off just about every time I cook, it even went off this last weekend just from smoke from the fire coming in the open door. Then ceiling in my unit is around 6'5" tall and the smoke detector is in the middle of the camper in front of the door about 4ft from the stove\oven. I just take it down and pop the battery out when it goes off, not a big deal.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #9

Our goes off ALL the time!!!
Rmfithen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
MI Camperz

Wow! A whole community of overly-sensitive smoke detectors.
Sorry to hear I'm not alone. Sure makes cooking inside a drag.
There's my excuse!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Ours only goes off when we use the toaster and don't open and use the range vent.

Putting the toaster on or near the stove top and making toast allows the combustion exhaust to leave the camper. We have never had a false alarm when we use the range vent when cooking.

We did have a "smoke detector save" when some receipts the DW had hanging from a magnet attached to the hood caught fire. DW had her back turned and they went up like a bomb. The alarm alerted us in time to get it all swept into the sink and doused.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #12

Ours has never gone off and I've checked it a couple of times just to make sure it's working. But we never cook inside either.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #13

X2 on all the sensitive posts. We typically cook outside however when weather is not in our favor and we cook inside the alarm goes off constantly. Our camper is new and the power to the alarm is qired to the camper so we can't disengage while cooking. I will try the compressed air auggestion, that will move fresh air in. Althougj, possibly pulling the fuse if there is one might also work.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #14

In case you all haven't realized it yet the new dinner bell is a smoke alarm in our RV's

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
2012 Solera

I have been removing the battery every time we cook. Considered putting a switch in series with the battery, but I know I would forget to turn the switch back on. Decided to make a cover to slip over the detector, and color it bright red so I won't forget to take it back off after cooking. Found a Rubbermaid #7 food storage container (which I was using to store some old screws and bolts) is about perfect size for the detector in my Solera. Added duct tape around the lip (gives a nice friction mount) and wrapped with bright red tape.Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160091.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	30686

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160092.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	30687I
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I have been removing the battery every time we cook. Considered putting a switch in series with the battery, but I know I would forget to turn the switch back on. Decided to make a cover to slip over the detector, and color it bright red so I won't forget to take it back off after cooking. Found a Rubbermaid #7 food storage container (which I was using to store some old screws and bolts) is about perfect size for the detector in my Solera. Added duct tape around the lip (gives a nice friction mount) and wrapped with bright red tape.Attachment 30686

Attachment 30687I
Another mod to ad to my list.lol
Thanks!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I have been removing the battery every time we cook. Considered putting a switch in series with the battery, but I know I would forget to turn the switch back on. Decided to make a cover to slip over the detector, and color it bright red so I won't forget to take it back off after cooking. Found a Rubbermaid #7 food storage container (which I was using to store some old screws and bolts) is about perfect size for the detector in my Solera. Added duct tape around the lip (gives a nice friction mount) and wrapped with bright red tape.

I
Genius, simply genius.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
2012 Solera

Note - while I like my plastic container solution for ease of install/remove, a plastic bag and rubber band (or something similar) would, of course, also work.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Love My Sunseeker

My smoke detector goes off every time I use the propane oven. I do have a wooden "stove cover" on that allows more counter space, I notice that I have to remove it when I use the oven because of the vents in the back of the stove coming from the oven. But it doesn't matter, it goes off every time I use the oven. I just remove the battery and no problem, but I have to do this every time.

My previous Sunseeker 3120 had the combination convection oven/microwave and this was never a problem. However, I decided I didn't like the combo (you can't brown meat in it. You can "cook" it, but not "Brown" it.) although it did a WONDERFUL job with baked potatoes.

I have a 3170, oven is vented outside, I open the window, I open the fantastic fan, smoke detector still goes off. Irritating!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #20

Our smoke dector goes off everytime we use the toaster or oven and I turn on vent fan and open window by stove. So I too have resorted to taking out battery when cooking.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote