Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #1

Portable fire pit

Can you do much cooking over a propane portable fire pit? Like cook a Cornish Chicken
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

I have the little red cf. and No I dont cook over it. Not even smores. To get that yellow flame, it's really fuel rich. Mines old enough to have the multiple piece logs and I keep a pair of jersey gloves and a chip brush to brush the soot off of them before I wrap them up. If that gives you an indication

What works outstanding for cornish game hens is an air fryer if you're interested
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Ours was for ambiance only. The odd time the kids could do marshmallows, but that was the extent of any cooking.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Grammar Pedant

The materials and burners aren't really designed for that. The food will be fine, as there shouldn't be any difference to the function of the burners/heat output. The fire pit might not fare so well. As food cooks, there is quite a bit of it that goes down into your grill or, in this case, the fire pit. Crumbs, grease, soot, and myriad other things come off our food and fall down into the cooking device. Grills are designed to handle this with various protections. The fire pit is not. It will get messy and clog without careful containment strategies.

In many ways, it's the same reason I wouldn't cook food over an open flame on a Coleman stove (or equivalent). You'll mess up the burner pretty quick doing that.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Ours was for ambiance only. The odd time the kids could do marshmallows, but that was the extent of any cooking.
Same.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Can you do much cooking over a propane portable fire pit? Like cook a Cornish Chicken
Having built a few propane fire pits from scratch, you *can* cook over them, but as said before its not ideal. the flame is very very sooty. look at your gas grill or your campers water heater. you will see the small orifice (usually brass) going into a larger tube. that area is not sealed and has many air holes. this is the air venturi mixing air and fuel before ignition. for kicks and giggles, fire up the burner, you get a nice blue flame. now cover those holes in the venturi up. now its a bright yellow flame as the fuel and air mix outside the burner, and very sooty/dirty.

Toasting marshmallows will give you that perfect golden brown you are looking for, but expect some soot on them too.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #7

Heck yes we cook over it!

We have a dutch oven that we put in a wood campfire, but if there's a ban, or it's pouring rain, we'll cook with our dutch oven over our propane fire pit. It's actually amazing because you can control the heat very well.

The kids also cook the occasional marshmallow or hotdog.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #8

We have a Solo Stove bon fire size fire pit. It is great! Smoke tends to go right up the center and not toward those sitting around it, unless it is windy out. The flames are beautiful and the wood burns down to ashes. Not much left to empty out after the fire.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
We have a Solo Stove bon fire size fire pit. It is great! Smoke tends to go right up the center and not toward those sitting around it, unless it is windy out. The flames are beautiful and the wood burns down to ashes. Not much left to empty out after the fire.
I get how those work... BUT I just can't swallow the price tag.

Plus, I don't think you can use those during bans. That's when I bust out the propane pit.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #10

we have the little red firepit and love love it but do not cook over it. We did marshmellows once and when they fell in and were a gooey mess that was the end of that
rangerjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #11

Not propane, but we use this:
https://www.bioliteenergy.com/produc...12471708287075

Yes, it is pricey. However, it rarely smokes and is pretty easy to clean up. Mine came with the solar-panel carrying case, to recharge the fan battery pack. It also cools off fairly quickly for packing up.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjean View Post
We did marshmellows once and when they fell in and were a gooey mess that was the end of that
I lent out my firepit last week and it came back with a big gooey marshmellow dropped on top.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I lent out my firepit last week and it came back with a big gooey marshmellow dropped on top.
you would think that they would have tried to clean it at least, or told you about it. just burn it off, good to go.