Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
prep gets us relaxing

Oh ya we prep: fruit is easily cleaned and put in to zip-locs(watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple…), veggies( broccoli, cauliflower, corn, even prosciutto wrapped asparagus) can all be cleaned, seasoned and put in zip-locs. A few meat marinades: thin pork chops(jerk and lemon-pepper), chicken….. super fast and easy. I always try and do a bigger something: clam chowder, chili, lentils, pezole…..and it should give us two meals(not in a row) and maybe a snack/lunch
I work super hard at home so our camping can be as nice/easy as possible checking all the campers systems, stocking the camper, truck, all the toys(bikes, kayaks, fishing, hiking, cameras,…) getting the kids to pack what they’ll need . It’s nice to get out of town and on to our adventure and slow down.
We are usually gone for 5 to 40 days and while you cannot prep for the entire time, it sure is nice to have those first few days taken care of with healthy meals we all love. Breakfast are easy and quick(omelets, pancake, French toast, fruit….) lunches don’t always happen but I love to cook nice and healty-ish dinner meal we can all slow down together with.
Its special to me/us to get out into the middle of beautiful no-where and still eat very well.
Planning and pre keeps us going nonstop, even when we don’t know where we’ll land next.

2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
I just forward this to my DW. Simple plans like this are overlooked (I know we did) and will add valuable relaxation time. Thanks for the great tip!!

Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Food Savers (vacuum packers) are wonderful things. Mine has become indispensable.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
A couple times we decided to "keep it simple" and had bagels and cream cheese for breakfast. Loved it! No dishes to wash, no cooking, quick and easy. The only problem was when we took a walk around the campground and most of the other campers were frying bacon on the fire. Mmmmm! Who can resist? For a quick and filling supper, we heat up some Chunky soup and pour it over a plate of instant rice.
Jeff and Kathy Howard

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2703SS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
We bring the set it and forget it rotisserie with us when we have electric. Then pick up the meat locally. When that thing is running (outside of course) everyone at the campground stands around with a knife and fork. We use the BBQ for grilled vegetables.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
We go all out and have steak baked potatoes stuffed mushrooms on the grill crab legs homemade tacos steak fajitas we go camping it's go big or go home

Fifth Wheel Joy is offline   Reply With Quote