Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4u_cara View Post
OK guys....stop this right now. Don't make me go out and buy a Blackstone grill or hubby will flip! (But if I can unpack some gear and only use the Blackstone....would he notice? LOL)

We are looking at BBQ options for the new permanent site and don't really want to give up the grill. I do like all the cooking options this offers tho. (Is the grease catcher that pull out handle on the lower left side?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I'm sure there may be many opinions here, but looking for input. Which size Blackstone - 17" or 22"? 'don't know if extra sqin is needed, but 2 burners for different temps may be nice/needed as items cook, ….
For my application as a semi-permanent appliance on my trailer, the 17" clearly fits perfect. Yes, the grease trap is front mounted on the 17" that makes for very easy cleanup without having to move it off the drawer slide. The 22" would have been nice; however, the grease trap was rear mounted and would have forced me to move the griddle after cooking to clean it.

Going from the 16"x9" cast iron griddle set in the Aussie, the 17"x16" cooking surface of the Blackstone is more than enough for my family of 5. To put it in perspective, I can easily cook 2 pounds of bacon with plenty of room and no overlaying the pieces. The single burner also has great temperature control and I find that low and slow is the way to go. Very rarely do I need to push the dial past medium for good, even cooking.

Hope this helps.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #42

Quote:
I'm sure there may be many opinions here, but looking for input. Which size Blackstone - 17" or 22"? 'don't know if extra sqin is needed, but 2 burners for different temps may be nice/needed as items cook, ….
I have both the 17" and the 22". I like the extra room of the 22" and the ability to have a cooler side makes cooking multiple items easier. I can do chow mien, potstickers and fried rice all at the same time on the 22" Even if you turn one burner off (after warming that side)you have enough heat transfer to keep something warm.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #43

I've contemplated the idea of the Blackstone, but I can't seem to get over the idea of "grilling" on a griddle which is basically frying instead of cooking over a flame with a grill. Do any of you that switched to the Blackstone miss the taste of flame grilled?

This next season I need to either get a new grill or replace the burner and heat shield in the one that came with my camper. It's not the best, but I do like the convenience of the camper grill mounted to the side of the trailer.

I actually do have a very expensive portable Napoleon stainless steel infra red grill that I got ridiculously cheap but it's heavy and built like a tank so I don't always bring it for weekend trips and keep it set up to use at home.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #44

My initial gut was the 22" - thanks for the input, but RV storage may be an overriding factor. The 22 has 330sqin cooking surface (22 x 15)so I'll have to modify or eliminate my Aussie storage I fabricated or go with the 17 (260 square inches 15.25in x 17in).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ Shelf.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	194853  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #45

If I were to get the B17, I found a Stainless grill top for the B17" that costs as much as the B17, but it is stainless. Do you think this is worth the value vs just using the B17 after it is seasoned?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXN2HKW...d_i=B07FXN2HKW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51hfJLzaH5L__SX679_.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	194854  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #46

Quote:
As someone mentioned, most of the off the shelf grill have their own pressure regulator designed to work with portable propane bottles. They do not work with connections to the RV plug in propane hose connection because that connection is already after the RV Propane tank pressure reducer/regulator.

The Aussie unit I received from FR (was not included in my RV along with my inside Kitchen Table - talk about USA QC - none in RV world) is 100% compatible and works OK, but not great.

When it comes time for its replacement (every 12-24 months like home units - if not cleaned after every use, plus left outside) I'll look for something that has no regulator (pressure reducer) so that I can just plug in. No idea what to get yet. Always open to good suggestions. Is there a Blackstone model that is compatible with a plug in?

In my RV, the pressure reducer is located inside the white cover after the yellow SOV and provides "low" pressure to everything downstream. In the portable models, you can see the typical silver pressure reducer connected to the propane tank or cylinder the it connects to the grill If that connection point is not the same fitting as the RV hose, an adapter needs to be inserted between the RV hose (Aussie supplied left over) and the grill intake connection. Another option is to go with portable bottles?? 'don't know if I would go there though - pluses and minuses.
I have the Blackstone 17". When you remove the regulator from the griddle the threads are 9/16" x 18 TPI straight thread. You might source one of these..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKFL29C...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and some other NPT fittings

use some imagination(and 3-wrap tape) and put these together. Now you can use your LP bottle... now you can have all the volume you want.

YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I have the Blackstone 17". When you remove the regulator from the griddle the threads are 9/16" x 18 TPI straight thread. You might source one of these..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKFL29C...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and some other NPT fittings

use some imagination(and 3-wrap tape) and put these together. Now you can use your LP bottle... now you can have all the volume you want.

YMMV
Well great. I was trying to help and then I read further. I taxed my little mind to come up with a "fix" and didn't know you could buy one. Now I do.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #48

I just bough a Smoak Hollow # 205 from Amazon,
Adaptor hose for 20lb tank is $10 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #49

Quote:
If I were to get the B17, I found a Stainless grill top for the B17" that costs as much as the B17, but it is stainless. Do you think this is worth the value vs just using the B17 after it is seasoned?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXN2HKW...d_i=B07FXN2HKW
Seems like a solution looking for a problem....

Once seasoned (takes maybe 2 hours total) I can't see a reason to need to stray away from the original cooking surface. It's heavy, distributes heat well and cleanup is a breeze with the drip drawer and a paper towel.

What is the stainless version gaining you that is so great?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #50
Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
I've contemplated the idea of the Blackstone, but I can't seem to get over the idea of "grilling" on a griddle which is basically frying instead of cooking over a flame with a grill. Do any of you that switched to the Blackstone miss the taste of flame grilled?

This next season I need to either get a new grill or replace the burner and heat shield in the one that came with my camper. It's not the best, but I do like the convenience of the camper grill mounted to the side of the trailer.

I actually do have a very expensive portable Napoleon stainless steel infra red grill that I got ridiculously cheap but it's heavy and built like a tank so I don't always bring it for weekend trips and keep it set up to use at home.

Ray
We have Weber Q and a Blackstone. We love both, but I will never give up the Weber Q . I think the Weber Q is much better for Steaks, Chicken, Burgers, Brats etc for exactly the reason you stated.. That’s just my opinion. For us a big part of camping is the food. We also bring a Smoker, Fryer, Dutch oven, and cook over the open fire. We love camp meals!
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Seems like a solution looking for a problem....

Once seasoned (takes maybe 2 hours total) I can't see a reason to need to stray away from the original cooking surface. It's heavy, distributes heat well and cleanup is a breeze with the drip drawer and a paper towel.

What is the stainless version gaining you that is so great?
Thanks for the feedback & saving another $75.
Regarding the seasoning - Do you do it directly on the grill or as one mentioned using an oven? The latter must be a smoky mess in a house.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #52
Was

Quote:
Regarding the seasoning - Do you do it directly on the grill or as one mentioned using an oven? The latter must be a smoky mess in a house.
We seasoned ours on the grill. No need to do in an oven.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #53

I would never again buy a Gas Grill that did not have a Stainless Burner !!!
My old Weber Grill that we use @ home is so many years old, I cant remember how many years old it is ? I have replace the flavor bare about 3 times, years ago I replaced the cooking great to a Cast iron / Porcelain Great, I have never had to replaced the Stainless Steel Burners !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I would never again buy a Gas Grill that did not have a Stainless Burner !!!
My old Weber Grill that we use @ home is so many years old, I cant remember how many years old it is ? I have replace the flavor bare about 3 times, years ago I replaced the cooking great to a Cast iron / Porcelain Great, I have never had to replaced the Stainless Steel Burners !!!

Thanks for the info, but I was (and I think he was too) referring to the cooking surface, not the actual burners.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #55

Quote:

Blackstone (and I) recommends seasoning it outside using the factory burner. If you search their website, they have a guide on how to do it. In short:

1. Clean the griddle with mild soap and water. Dry.
2. Turn on the burner and allow the griddle to heat up and darken for 15 minutes. Let cool.
3. Coat the cooking surface with Crisco or oil, heat up the grill on high and let it smoke off. let cool.

Repeat step 3 a few times and start cooking.

The more you use it, the better the non-stick surface becomes.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Blackstone (and I) recommends seasoning it outside using the factory burner. If you search their website, they have a guide on how to do it. In short:

1. Clean the griddle with mild soap and water. Dry.
2. Turn on the burner and allow the griddle to heat up and darken for 15 minutes. Let cool.
3. Coat the cooking surface with Crisco or oil, heat up the grill on high and let it smoke off. let cool.

Repeat step 3 a few times and start cooking.

The more you use it, the better the non-stick surface becomes.

I read all that and watched the video - they said it took 30 minutes for each cycle. It wasn't clear if that was only the cooking time for 30 minutes for the smoke to stop or it included the cooldown time too. Regardless it seemed painless to do. 4 times = 2 hours to be safe.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #57

Quote:
I read all that and watched the video - they said it took 30 minutes for each cycle. It wasn't clear if that was only the cooking time for 30 minutes for the smoke to stop or it included the cooldown time too. Regardless it seemed painless to do. 4 times = 2 hours to be safe.
Don't over think it!

When it stops smoking, turn it off.

When it's cool to the touch, oil it and turn it on.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #58

Doesn't anyone use charcoal grills, I just can't think of cooking a big burger on a griddle. That's what you use for breakfast. A big steak, chicken, needs a good charcoal grill
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
Doesn't anyone use charcoal grills, I just can't think of cooking a big burger on a griddle. That's what you use for breakfast. A big steak, chicken, needs a good charcoal grill
Gotta try it if you haven't.... it's my new go to item. People at work ask me often.... "What are you cooking on the griddle tonight?" One dude asked me less than 30 mins ago. Funny. My answer was burgers
Old 01-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Gotta try it if you haven't.... it's my new go to item. People at work ask me often.... "What are you cooking on the griddle tonight?" One dude asked me less than 30 mins ago. Funny. My answer was burgers
Thanks, I've tryed them. Everyone has them but at this point I'm not interested. I always make sure I have room in the truck for my weber. Sometimes food needs a smokey flavor, and when I'm cooking everyone in the CG comes to see what's for dinner. And I usually tell them filets or baby back ribs. And when it comes to ribs I cant see in cooking them on a griddle. Eggs and bacon, pancakes, yes of course a griddle. But never my smokies bbq ribs.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas