Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
NELA

Sabrett hot dogs!

Foods of New York - Ordering

FINALLY found a source for DH's beloved Sabretts! Being a native NYer, he misses some of the foods he had there, and the Sabrett hot dog was one of those things.

We ordered the following:

5 lbs of hot dogs...natural casing
2 pkgs of knishes
2 pkgs of red onions in sauce
1 Sabrett spicy brown mustard
1 Sabrett sauerkraut

Got 'em shipped over night and they arrived today. He's a happy camper now! Time for weenies and a !

(gonna split the dawgs up....there's 50 of 'em....and vacuum pack/freeze them 4 to a pack)

He swears there's nothin' like the "snap" when you bite into a Sabrett.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Congratulations on the find. Make sure you bring a 4 pack to NC with you this summer. Never heard of them but would love to taste them.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #3

Weezer-

We should trade services.... what you have down there that I can't live without? I always have a pushcart onion in the fridge... where from in NY?

I am in northern NJ, can see the skyline of NYC from here...

Dieselbobcat

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
Weezer-

We should trade services.... what you have down there that I can't live without? I always have a pushcart onion in the fridge... where from in NY?

I am in northern NJ, can see the skyline of NYC from here...

Dieselbobcat
He's from Bayshore. near West Islip. His father, grandfather, and great grandfather were commercial fishermen. So, naturally, the family tradition is LOBSTER for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.

Pickled herring is his family's New Year's Day tradition, where as black eyed peas and cabbage is the tradition here in LA.

What do we have down here? You NAME it! Just had crawfish for dinner tonight. Gumbo, boudin sausage, jambalaya, shrimp etouffee, Tobasco sauce is made here in LA, etc.

While living in FL I had to have friends ship me filet for my gumbo. It's a seasoning for gumbo, actually ground up sassafras.

DH wasn't much on red meat until I introduced him to venison!

OC;

You betcha! It's ON! (this old brain will need a reminder when the time comes though.)

Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

What do we have down here? You NAME it! Just had crawfish for dinner tonight. Gumbo, boudin sausage, jambalaya, shrimp etouffee, Tobasco sauce is made here in LA, etc.
I can personally vouch for Weezers gumbo. Yum Yum good.

Now to get an invite to try the rest of the stuff she mentioned above (hint-hint)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
NELA

You shoulda kept some of that HUGE mess of gumbo I sent home with ya, bagged it and put it in the freezer, but NAW you "et it all up" didn't ya?

(TBH that beautiful daughter of yours wasn't gonna let ya freeze any of it.) Not often you see a teenager eat like that, and she's such a shapely lady too! did my ole heart a lotta good to see her enjoy my gumbo like that.

Maybe I'll make a huge pot of chicken n dumplin's next time we meet up? Or maybe a HUGE pot of vegetable/beef soup? (shoulda done that one back while it was still cold)

Heck, anything I cook ends up being a HUGE pot full. It always seems to swarm on me. I guess that comes from raisin' three strappin' boys.

Still owe ya a pot of venison chili...remember? That was my first plan for that trip.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I can personally vouch for Weezers gumbo. Yum Yum good.

Now to get an invite to try the rest of the stuff she mentioned above (hint-hint)
And, that was my seafood gumbo. "you ain't et" my wild duck gumbo yet!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:28 AM   #8
Site Team

Weezer, what kind of buns do ya use for the dogs?

The reason I ask, is about three times a year, I end up grilling dogs for a large group (50-100 people). I usually go full regatta (sauerkraut, chili, brown mustard, etc).

I had for several years been direct ordering Toufayan Bakeries Snuggle Buns from New Jersey in case quantity. These things were made out of Pita bread and are U shaped to begin with, so they hold all the fixings fantastic. My people always loved them. I even had these special shaped aluminum plates that let me toast these U buns on the grill, along with 3 battery powered Grill Dog rotisseries that let me grill dogs in batches of 36 at a time. (You have to get them out in large quantities when feeding that many people, so they don't riot on you)

Evidently my purchase of several cases a year didn't quantify them to keep making the buns, and they have been discontinued.

I have been using the King's Hawaiian top split buns (which are expensive thru the roof when feeding that many people), and although good, they don't measure up to the former Snuggles in purpose or quantity pricing. I'm always looking for better ideas, that others may share..........and am looking for a good bun source/suggestions.

I also want to try your dogs themselves, since your hubbie is the hot dog aficionado.

I hope you don't consider this a thread hijack, and we can use it to talk hot dogs.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 AM   #9

Well I was born and raised on the Chicago west side. I get the Chicago Vienna dogs with the snapped caseing, with poppy seed buns hot peppers, bright green relish sent to me all the time. Chicago is the Home of the Hot Dogs hand down.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
You shoulda kept some of that HUGE mess of gumbo I sent home with ya, bagged it and put it in the freezer, but NAW you "et it all up" didn't ya?
All I will say, is her and me were fighting over who got to actually lick out the inside of that ziplock bag. It was good to the last vapor.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well I was born and raised on the Chicago west side. I get the Chicago Vienna dogs with the snapped caseing, with poppy seed buns hot peppers, bright green relish sent to me all the time. Chicago is the Home of the Hot Dogs hand down.
AGREED! Nothing like a Chicago Hot Dog... I just moved from there a year ago and really miss 2 things. Pizza and Dogs!!

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
AGREED! Nothing like a Chicago Hot Dog... I just moved from there a year ago and really miss 2 things. Pizza and Dogs!!
Moved from the western suburb of Bolingbrook in 85 and don't miss a single thing!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Moved from the western suburb of Bolingbrook in 85 and don't miss a single thing!
Old Coot...I moved from Naperville..95th and Rt 59 area and dont miss any of that crap! Just the good food.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
Old Coot...I moved from Naperville..95th and Rt 59 area and dont miss any of that crap! Just the good food.
White Fence Farm was just south of us and we did love to go there about every other weekend. Old Chicago was interesting too until they closed it.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
White Fence Farm was just south of us and we did love to go there about every other weekend. Old Chicago was interesting too until they closed it.
If you haven't been to that area for a long time, you wouldn't recognize it now. It's crazy how it grew. Naperville will take 2hrs to drive from one side to the other anytime after 3pm.

When IKEA moved into Bolingbrook, so did everyone else. What used to be a nice small town is now a shoppers paradise! They do have a Bass Pro Shops that is really nice though...its HUGE

Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Went thru last Aug @ 55mph and didn't even slow down. Have no intention of EVER going back or thru the area. Concord has a monstrous Bass Pro in a monstrous mile long mall just west of the Speedway.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Weezer, what kind of buns do ya use for the dogs?

The reason I ask, is about three times a year, I end up grilling dogs for a large group (50-100 people). I usually go full regatta (sauerkraut, chili, brown mustard, etc).

I had for several years been direct ordering Toufayan Bakeries Snuggle Buns from New Jersey in case quantity. These things were made out of Pita bread and are U shaped to begin with, so they hold all the fixings fantastic. My people always loved them. I even had these special shaped aluminum plates that let me toast these U buns on the grill, along with 3 battery powered Grill Dog rotisseries that let me grill dogs in batches of 36 at a time. (You have to get them out in large quantities when feeding that many people, so they don't riot on you)

Evidently my purchase of several cases a year didn't quantify them to keep making the buns, and they have been discontinued.

I have been using the King's Hawaiian top split buns (which are expensive thru the roof when feeding that many people), and although good, they don't measure up to the former Snuggles in purpose or quantity pricing. I'm always looking for better ideas, that others may share..........and am looking for a good bun source/suggestions.

I also want to try your dogs themselves, since your hubbie is the hot dog aficionado.

I hope you don't consider this a thread hijack, and we can use it to talk hot dogs.
Nope, not a hijack at all! Holy smokes! That's a lotta hot dog cookin! We just use regular buns.

And sure, I'll tell DH to "gift ya" with a 4 pack of Sabretts. (that's how we're vacuum pack freezing)

I'm beginning to think you have as much cooking equipment as OC does mechanical equipment in his shop!

Old 05-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Oh dear...now a done it! DH is crazy 'bout Chicago dawgs too! Around here Wendy's started selling what they call Chicago dawgs. DH tried 'em, wasn't impressed.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
NELA

OC,

Found out last night the manufacturer is now finally *in production* for our two toys that we talked about heading to Arden to pick up.

So, it may be earlier than we thought that we head up to your fair state. And eyup, we'll be draggin Buffy!

Yeah, this is OT, but it's my original thread and I don't care.

No, wait....I can keep it on topic by sayin'.....we'll bring some Sabretts!

Old 05-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:

I'm beginning to think you have as much cooking equipment as OC does mechanical equipment in his shop!
I have 8 grills if that means anything.

For the event cooking, I started out with a 4 burner Brinkmann, that I modified to accept two of the grill dog rotisseries. What I love about the battery powered rotisseries is that you don't have to constantly stand over the grill and turn the dogs as they just turn and plump up like you see at the stores. I had to modify the grills to accept the holders that the rotisseries motors mount to. It would cook 24 dogs at a time, and I could heat up the chili, sauerkraut too. The buns were a pain to toast with this setup though.

Here's a pic from one of the events a few years ago:

I added an 8 burner one very similar to the brinkman. I can now cook 36 hotdogs (3 grill dog rotisseries on it) at a time, toast buns, heat up the chili and sauerkraut, and even put on a pan of Byrons pulled pork meat (Sam's Club)................when I utilize both grills at the same time.

These grills fold down and are easy to transport, but the 8 burner really requires two people to handle. Here they are loaded in my truck. Yes, that is Delaware Punch in the corner. I love that stuff and it's hard to find around here anymore.

Tags
sabre