Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #61
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gator View Post
Looks so good. I usually smoke a pork butt on the big green egg but I am going to try this one. Bought the beef last night and will be great weekend treat.
Any questions please ask!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #62
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
I have been burning pellets for well over 10 years. Started out with a Traeger, still own a small version I use strictly for camping. Currently have a Louisiana Grill for home use. In my opinion at one time when Traegers were being built in Oregon they were top notch. A few years back the original owners sold out and the new owners moved production to China. They are now electronically the dinosaurs of the pellet business. Their controller is outdated and hasn't changed much since its inception. All the newer pellet grills are now using PDI Controllers which are far more accurate then the digital controller Traeger uses. The PDI Controllers are able to hold the temperatures within a few degrees of the set temperatures while it is not uncommon for the Traeger controller to drift up or down by 30 to 40 degrees or more. Most other grills also can achieve temperatures of 500 degrees or more. With a Traeger you are lucky to reach anything close to 400 degrees. Most other pellet grills also have the ability to do direct flame grilling ( great for searing meats) the Traeger does not allow you to do this. The bottom line is they all burn pellets, the competition has just passed up Traeger and made more improvements to their line of pellet grills to make them stand out from the rest. The competition in the pellet grill industry is a good thing and gives a lot of choices to the consumer making his purchase.
As another note not all pellets are equal either...I started using Treager pellets because that was all there was. I now use pellets made from the real hardwoods of the variety, ie..mesquite, hickory, maple, etc.. Traeger pellets are Alder based pellet that they flavor by adding different oils to their process. They are not a true wood as to the variety you are buying. They are also expensive compared to other better brands. Having said that I am lucky to have a son with a pellet grill business, I have never paid more then six dollars for a twenty pound bag of some pretty good pellets. From Traeger to the higher end Memphis Grills you can't go wrong in owning and using a pellet grill. They are all very easy to use and do a great job of adding flavor to your cooks. I am glad to see their mention on this site and glad to see the excitement in their use from the people using them...More Pelletheads is a good thing!
Good info.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #63

All this pellet head talk...thought I would let you boys know where I stand on the topic...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1429970596.940209.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	75175

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #64

Yuck!
JK. . Charcoal is great, but I'll stick with my pellet grill
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
1) 4-5 lb chuck roast
2) rib rub of choice, I used "famous daves rib rub"
3) prime rib rub of choice, I used "Excalibur prime rib rub"
4) olive oil
5) 2 cups of beef broth
6) 2 cups of red wine "dark beer can be substituted"
7) hickory smoking chips.
8) aluminum steaming pan.

The night before rub roast lightly with olive oil.
Rub all sides with rib rub then lightly sprinkle the roast with a little prime rib rub on all sides.
Cover roast and refrigerate overnight in steaming pan.

Please allow 6 hours the next day for smoking and cooking.
Attachment 74788
Attachment 74789

Start smoker 30 minutes prior and set to 250° to get the chips smoking , this is the temperature you'll use throughout.

Remove roast from steam pan and place directly on smoker rack.
Smoke for 1.5 hours adding chips as necessary.
Turn roast over, again directly on the rack and smoke an additional 1.5 hours.
Attachment 74792
@ which time the roast should be around 140 to 150 degrees @ the 3 hour mark.

Remove roast and put in steam pan again and add the beef broth and wine, cover the pan with aluminum foil and put back in the smoker for an additional 2.5-3 hours. Attachment 74793
The target temp now is 195 to 200, if you go over don't worry there's plenty of liquid to keep it moist.
Shut off smoker Remove roast, remove cover enough to allow steam to escape, recover and let roast rest for an additional hour or so.
Attachment 74794
After roast has rested start pulling beef apart !
Attachment 74795

I saved some of the juices for dipping the sandwich in but also to pour over the meat when storing for leftovers.

Good luck and enjoy!

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Looks delicious. I can see that in our future for sure.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #66

When not using a smoker, I wrap foil around the wood and poke holes in it for a cheap smoker box. It works great and never rusts. I have found oak is a great wood for beef and pork. My little Weber 18.5" Smoker is my favorite as it hits 225 every time and takes up little space.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #67

Quote:
1) 4-5 lb chuck roast
2) rib rub of choice, I used "famous daves rib rub"
3) prime rib rub of choice, I used "Excalibur prime rib rub"
4) olive oil
5) 2 cups of beef broth
6) 2 cups of red wine "dark beer can be substituted"
7) hickory smoking chips.
8) aluminum steaming pan.

The night before rub roast lightly with olive oil.
Rub all sides with rib rub then lightly sprinkle the roast with a little prime rib rub on all sides.
Cover roast and refrigerate overnight in steaming pan.

Please allow 6 hours the next day for smoking and cooking.
Attachment 74788
Attachment 74789

Start smoker 30 minutes prior and set to 250° to get the chips smoking , this is the temperature you'll use throughout.

Remove roast from steam pan and place directly on smoker rack.
Smoke for 1.5 hours adding chips as necessary.
Turn roast over, again directly on the rack and smoke an additional 1.5 hours.
Attachment 74792
@ which time the roast should be around 140 to 150 degrees @ the 3 hour mark.

Remove roast and put in steam pan again and add the beef broth and wine, cover the pan with aluminum foil and put back in the smoker for an additional 2.5-3 hours. Attachment 74793
The target temp now is 195 to 200, if you go over don't worry there's plenty of liquid to keep it moist.
Shut off smoker Remove roast, remove cover enough to allow steam to escape, recover and let roast rest for an additional hour or so.
Attachment 74794
After roast has rested start pulling beef apart !
Attachment 74795

I saved some of the juices for dipping the sandwich in but also to pour over the meat when storing for leftovers.

Good luck and enjoy!

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Just had to try since it looks so good. Ours is resting quietly at the moment, dinner in 1/2 hour!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #68
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Just had to try since it looks so good. Ours is resting quietly at the moment, dinner in 1/2 hour!
AWESOME !
PLEASE let me know what you think!

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Did you use red wine by chance?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 AM   #70

Tried it yesterday and it turned out great. Beef just pulled apart and the au jour was awesome. Served it on nice bakery rolls and dipped from there. Very good.
80gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gator View Post
Tried it yesterday and it turned out great. Beef just pulled apart and the au jour was awesome. Served it on nice bakery rolls and dipped from there. Very good.
Great!
Ty for the great report!

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #72

Quote:
Did you use red wine by chance?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
I did use red wine. Cheap stuff, just right for cooking. Had dark beer on hand, but drank that and cooked with the wine. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #73
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I did use red wine. Cheap stuff, just right for cooking. Had dark beer on hand, but drank that and cooked with the wine. Decisions, decisions.
Lol i hear ya!

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #74

I love my pellet smoker. I had an el cheapo charcoal style smoker for a few years and got fed up trying to manage my temps, and keep the fire going, especially in the dead of winter.
I did a ton of research and at the end of it, for me and my budget, I bought a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone w/remote.
This thing is simply awesome. I've smoked the Christmas turkey in the dead of winter...to perfection. Ribs, beef roasts, pulled pork, burgers, smoked eggs and potato's for potato salad, made the best ABT's on the smoker. If it walked away tomorrow i'd buy another in a heartbeat.
My GMG has a remote so I can adjust/control the pit temp. from inside the house, as well as that it will show me the internal food temp, and warn me if the pellet hopper is getting low. It will cook from 150* up to 500* (gotta try pizza on this thing at some point).
I buy the Louisina grill pellets from our local Canadian Tire. They sell for $20 for a 20 pound bag. At the normal 225* I seem to figure using a pound of pellets an hour.
I've only tried the Traeger cherry pellets and didn't like them, they felt like they gave of a sooty feel to them. However, I haven't yet tried any other Traeger pellets.
I like my GMG Daniel Boone so much I'm going to buy the portable Davy Crockett this summer when he get to Oregon.
One reason I chose the GMG over the similarly sized Traeger, is that the GMG seems to have more vertical space inside. I've added a second layer of racks to take advantage of the space.

Honestly, if someone is considering a smoker, I'd really recommend looking at a good quality pellet grill. With all due respect to the Bradley's out there, I've tried pork shoulder from a Bradley and their is absolutley no comparison between an electric heated "smoker" and a wood-fired smoker. Anyways, just my .02.

trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #75

I always tell people if you don't want to buy a pellet grill then don't ever eat off one...Ten years ago after I bought my first one my friends tasted some of my cooks then bought their own pellet grills. Now most of my friends are pelletheads too. I have no way of verifying it but I bet a least five different people that I have met while smoking something while camping have bought grills. All I have to do is fire the grill up while camping and let the smoke permeate through the campground, instant friends are made.
Once while camping along the Oregon coast this ole timer came over to check things out. I gave him my pellet grill pitch as I was smoking some ribs. After he left he returned with three of his camping buddies and asked if I would show them how a pellet grill works. I'm thinking those guys are burning pellets now..
In my opinion it really doesn't matter if you get a high end model or a lower end model with a good reputation, minus a few extra features they can all cook with the same wood pellets giving the same flavor profile to your cooks. You just can't beat the ease of use with them. No messy charcoal, no flare ups or drying out of meats from the gaser, just a great flavor added from the type of wood pellets being used. Just make sure the hopper is full, turn it on, and grab a beverage of your choice and let the grill work it's magic...
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #76
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post
I love my pellet smoker. I had an el cheapo charcoal style smoker for a few years and got fed up trying to manage my temps, and keep the fire going, especially in the dead of winter.
I did a ton of research and at the end of it, for me and my budget, I bought a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone w/remote.
This thing is simply awesome. I've smoked the Christmas turkey in the dead of winter...to perfection. Ribs, beef roasts, pulled pork, burgers, smoked eggs and potato's for potato salad, made the best ABT's on the smoker. If it walked away tomorrow i'd buy another in a heartbeat.
My GMG has a remote so I can adjust/control the pit temp. from inside the house, as well as that it will show me the internal food temp, and warn me if the pellet hopper is getting low. It will cook from 150* up to 500* (gotta try pizza on this thing at some point).
I buy the Louisina grill pellets from our local Canadian Tire. They sell for $20 for a 20 pound bag. At the normal 225* I seem to figure using a pound of pellets an hour.
I've only tried the Traeger cherry pellets and didn't like them, they felt like they gave of a sooty feel to them. However, I haven't yet tried any other Traeger pellets.
I like my GMG Daniel Boone so much I'm going to buy the portable Davy Crockett this summer when he get to Oregon.
One reason I chose the GMG over the similarly sized Traeger, is that the GMG seems to have more vertical space inside. I've added a second layer of racks to take advantage of the space.

Honestly, if someone is considering a smoker, I'd really recommend looking at a good quality pellet grill. With all due respect to the Bradley's out there, I've tried pork shoulder from a Bradley and their is absolutley no comparison between an electric heated "smoker" and a wood-fired smoker. Anyways, just my .02.

Looks mighty tasty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
I always tell people if you don't want to buy a pellet grill then don't ever eat off one...Ten years ago after I bought my first one my friends tasted some of my cooks then bought their own pellet grills. Now most of my friends are pelletheads too. I have no way of verifying it but I bet a least five different people that I have met while smoking something while camping have bought grills. All I have to do is fire the grill up while camping and let the smoke permeate through the campground, instant friends are made.
Once while camping along the Oregon coast this ole timer came over to check things out. I gave him my pellet grill pitch as I was smoking some ribs. After he left he returned with three of his camping buddies and asked if I would show them how a pellet grill works. I'm thinking those guys are burning pellets now..
In my opinion it really doesn't matter if you get a high end model or a lower end model with a good reputation, minus a few extra features they can all cook with the same wood pellets giving the same flavor profile to your cooks. You just can't beat the ease of use with them. No messy charcoal, no flare ups or drying out of meats from the gaser, just a great flavor added from the type of wood pellets being used. Just make sure the hopper is full, turn it on, and grab a beverage of your choice and let the grill work it's magic...
I agree on all points!

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 05-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #77
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Set out another chuck roast today, going to smoke it tomorrow for a "derby" party!

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 05-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #78
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I scored big time today boys!
Pork butt @ .99 a lb!
I guess you know what my next smoking venture is!
I bought 14 7-8 lb butts. 115 lbs worth!
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1431120717378.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	76454

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #79
Phat Phrog

Turbs....you should have had those babies cut into the famous St. Louis style Pork Steaks.....oh yeah!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #80
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Turbs....you should have had those babies cut into the famous St. Louis style Pork Steaks.....oh yeah!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Oooooooooh no!
Pulled pork big sis!

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"

Tags
led