Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Don't believe I would want to cook on a grill left exposed to all the road grime that no doubt would settle on it being on the back bumper.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
I have a Salem Hemisphere with the swing out grill. I love the feature. It is very convenient and is placed right next to the outdoor kitchen. The arm it sits on is strong, reliable, etc. That said, the grill itself is not of very high quality. I'm on year two and figure by next year I'll have to replace it. I plan to do so with a higher quality stainless steel grill.

I would definitely buy the arm, but get a better grill than what FR provides.
X2

2015 Camping---"162 Nights"
2016--Moved in camper 11/2015 while
getting ready to sell sticks-N-bricks
PIGMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5646 View Post
With that said please review these pictures and comment good and bad if you would be interested in such an item. Also would you have interest if it were available for about $ 190.00 as a bolt on item.
My mind is wondering how well this might sell if fabricated and sold for example on eBay.
That's a little rich for my blood, but I would really like to have something that I could mount on the bumper, permanently mount the grill and not have to dedicate basement/truck bed storage space to. My ultimate goal is to minimize setup time and it would be nice to avoid having to drag the grill out at each destination.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't believe I would want to cook on a grill left exposed to all the road grime that no doubt would settle on it being on the back bumper.
Agreed, on top of that everyone scoffs at putting bikes at the end of a bouncy pendulum. Don't want my expensive grill back there flopping around either.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #15

Lifting the grill in and out of the basement is definitely the single heaviest thing that gets handled during setup / break down. It would be nice to just swing it in and out of place rather then lifting.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #16

I had to replace mine that came from factory with a stainless one in less than a year, I live in Florida but still the quality was sub par on the original. Stainless has been great.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #17

Great plan. I would be interested in one with a spare tire mount. My R-Pod has a "garage" which is a tailgate kitchen. I can't mount the spare without blocking access to the garage. Having a swinging BBQ would work well with this set up. After all, that is where you need it anyway.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #18

My 5er is a 2015 36QBQ Heritage Glen, identical to the Hemisphere.

When I bought the 5er, the grill didn't look quite right, so the dealer replaced it. The replacement unit didn't have the right mounts for the arm, even though the grill itself was correct. The dealer said that was the one that showed as the replacement unit, and he couldn't fix the problem (he supposed it is a China made unit and so do I)

Anyway, after cooking on the grill once, I decided that the quality that FR specs is really really low. So, I took off the arm, and have decided to buy a stainless unit which I can buy at Sams club for about $100.

But a note about the arm. It is a massively overbuilt arm, and weighs at least 60 pounds. After thinking about it, why would I want to haul that extra weight around, plus the grill? Also, it is subject to road hazards, dirt, theft, etc.

I get the convenience factor, with it being by the kitchen, and it hooks directly to the propane access point under the kitchen. But I probably will never use that grill again. It's just that bad...and I think FR puts them there as a selling point, not as something that is really that useful

So bottom line for me anyway is to take off the arm, make the bumper not look so patched together (which IMHO it is with this thing hanging off it), and use a stainless, good looking grill that I will lift out of storage when I want it.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #19
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

I wouldn't have one. Accident looking for a happening and believe me it will. I'll use my good old Coleman charcoal grill that's going on 15 years and will cook better than a Weber. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I wouldn't have one. Accident looking for a happening and believe me it will. I'll use my good old Coleman charcoal grill that's going on 15 years and will cook better than a Weber. Later RJD
Thats like saying "don't get on a plane... accident waiting to happen... and it will... I ride a horse"

Tags
gas, mount