Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #41

Small tabletop square grill

We have been using a small tabletop square charcoal grill for the past 4 seasons. To fry bacon, eggs, etc. at breakfast time we use the aluminum top off an ancient ringer washer. It works super.
aoetken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #42

I have the Weber Go Anywhere propane model. I made a wire grate to hold charcoal, set the v shaped tent aside and use the propane to light the charcoal. Best of both worlds
Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #43

Quick and smokey

Take a look at Cook-air...you use chunks of dry wood. It has a five speed fan to control the heat, is ready to use in about two minutes and gives you some smoke. On high speed with the fan it can hit 1000 degrees in just a few minutes. It uses batteries, 110v, or 12v to power the fan so it is very versatile. Easy cleanup too. Nice and portable. https://www.cook-air.com/
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #44

Is there anyone here that are afraid of bears smelling out the barbecue and tearing apart whatever is in it's way? I live in and camp in bear country any you learn very quickly what not to do. Even at home the home barbeque has to be cleaned religiously after cooking. This fall I forgot to pick the crab apples from the tree and found a bear one morning having breakfast. The tree was my wife's idea. When we camp out west in the mountain I I just don't bring a portable bbq. I'm just too scared that a bear would smell it in the truck or trailer and decide it's worth the trouble.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
Is there anyone here that are afraid of bears smelling out the barbecue and tearing apart whatever is in it's way? I live in and camp in bear country any you learn very quickly what not to do. Even at home the home barbeque has to be cleaned religiously after cooking. This fall I forgot to pick the crab apples from the tree and found a bear one morning having breakfast. The tree was my wife's idea. When we camp out west in the mountain I I just don't bring a portable bbq. I'm just too scared that a bear would smell it in the truck or trailer and decide it's worth the trouble.
Ruggybuggy,

We generally don't have to worry about bears here in SE Louisiana or S. Mississippi, but the raccoons and opossums will tear it apart if you don't clean it before you shut down for the night. That's why I always scrub mine and put it away before turning the lights off. I'm not partial to cleaning up the mess that the critters make on top of the messy grill ... and critter scat on top the picnic table is a sure stomach turner when you wake up to clean it in the morning!
Good Camping ....... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #46

We even have to make sure our gasoline is in a secure place. I've watched a black bear eat the foam seat off an old snowmachine that was gas soaked.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
Bears are a constant concern here in Colorado...all the more so in a PUP (pop-up). But we use our grills.

I keep both the Weber and the charcoal grill on the ground about 30 feet from the camper...legs folded in the case of charcoal (see my post above) and Weber removed from the cart and settled on the ground. The "plan," such as it is, is to make the grill as accessible as possible for the bear in a way that would cause the least damage to the grill. I hear they will lick the grates and drippings from the bottom of the grill body, so I make that as easy as possible for them to do.
The hypothesis is that the racket will serve as an alarm regarding the bear's presence so we can prep (bear spray) to defend the camper.

There is no such thing as bear-proofing. We have lots of images (from police and game wardens doing interventions) of bears invading cars for as little as a Cliff Bar. Their sense of smell is phenomenal. So, while the grill may be a very pronounced smell, they know there's food where there are humans, and they can smell your Cheerios from a long way away...not to mention the grills. Because we are in a PUP (glorified tent), we put all our food in our TV overnight...locked.

I've yet to see or hear a bear in camp, despite their prevalence. And we boondock exclusively. So we don't deprive ourselves of the grill(s). Instead we count on them as bear alarms, and by cooking less inside the camper, we ensure that food smells are strongest outside.

Is that foolproof? Not a chance, but it's worked so far.

P.S. our only camp "invaders" (other than the chipmunks, crows, and other little critters) have been elk. In the middle of the night, a herd of elk moved through. They are stealthy other than the heavy "snuffing" sounds they make...very bear-like...and as I lay there in the PUP waiting for the wild rumpus to begin with the grills, one of the elk bugled softly, and I went back to sleep.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #48
Trailer Park Supervisor

Now you got me thinking of hauling the grill up on a rope from a limb, like a food bag when I'm backpacking. Bears are damn near everywhere now. Plenty of them in NJ. Last thing I want is my pickup destroyed by a bear trying to get to my grill.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Now you got me thinking of hauling the grill up on a rope from a limb, like a food bag when I'm backpacking. Bears are damn near everywhere now. Plenty of them in NJ. Last thing I want is my pickup destroyed by a bear trying to get to my grill.
https://youtu.be/epgYS3c53UE
Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #50
Trailer Park Supervisor

holy cow, that looks a lot like my pickup truck too (without the damage). Yeah, looks like my grill will be hanging from a tree when I take it camping!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #51

+2 on the Cobb. Not only does it use less charcoal, but you can pick it up in your hands while hot, proving that it will not damage any table. Due to its design, I clean it after each use, just like a cooking pot, so it remains completely clean. Won't attract bears. You can also get attachments for a chicken roaster, frying pan, and others.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I have had this one since 1980 and it still works great. My brother saw mine and went and bought 1 just like it. They still make them. I like it because it has legs that fold up and it fits in my side compartment perfectly.

Ditto

We love our Webber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #53

We just bough a Smoke Hollow Table top gas grill,,, 27/17/12
Hope it is not to Large,,, need it to fit in the passengers side compartment behind the rear wheels !!! On our little Sunseeker !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #54

Hello my name is Angelo and I’m addicted to grills, I love grills in all shapes,sizes and fuel sources. I own many of the grills that have been mentioned in this thread. I would have to say the Weber Go Anywhere Grill is the best grill to fit your criteria. The is my opinion based on many years of grilling on many different kinds of grill. Thank you goodnight, I’m off to find another grill
Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #55

I bought a Smoke Hollow Grill less than a year ago, and it is falling apart!! The grill grate is not stainless steel, so it is beginning to rust through. I can no longer use it without tainting the meat I'm trying to grill. I would not recommend that piece of cow dung to anyone. I plan to trash it soon and buy something else.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
I bought a Smoke Hollow Grill less than a year ago, and it is falling apart!! The grill grate is not stainless steel, so it is beginning to rust through. I can no longer use it without tainting the meat I'm trying to grill. I would not recommend that piece of cow dung to anyone. I plan to trash it soon and buy something else.
I did not want to hear that Jakie !!!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I did not want to hear that Jakie !!!
I just looked it says the Cooking great is Stainless & the Bun warmer rack is chrome ???