Old 05-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #1

The Foods You Should Never Make in a Cast Iron Skillet

“You should never cook any types of acidic foods or sauces in a cast iron skillet,” says Ochs. “A few examples include tomatoes, vinegar, and lemons. If cooked in a cast iron skillet, these particular types of acidic foods and sauces will take on a very displeasing metallic taste, which in turn can permanently ruin the flavor of the dish.”

tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #2

Well I would never pack a heavy cast iron skillet to go camping, so there’s one more thing I don’t have to worry about.

Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
“You should never cook any types of acidic foods or sauces in a cast iron skillet,” says Ochs. “A few examples include tomatoes, vinegar, and lemons. If cooked in a cast iron skillet, these particular types of acidic foods and sauces will take on a very displeasing metallic taste, which in turn can permanently ruin the flavor of the dish.”

Meh.. we are kinda rebels that way.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Head Rambler

Acidic foods are no danger to properly seasoned cast iron. We cook anything and everything in our cast iron and have been for the last 50 years and have never had them take on any displeasing taste or do anything to the cast iron.

Also the advice not to wash them is crazy as well. Soap is not going to hurt properly seasoned cast iron.

Proper seasoning is the key, and the vast majority of seasoning instructions I see are terribly wrong.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

You can preserve your seasoning longer by avoiding soap and acidic stuff, this is old news though. I saw that article the other day too, seems like they just keep recycling old articles if they can't find a politician to bash again, lol. Best thing I ever got was a piece of chainmail called The Ringer to clean up my cast iron. Some warm water and a scrub with that thing, and you are good to go. It scrubs off anything without ruining the seasoning. Paper towel dry, then a light coat of cooking oil before putting away. I too try to keep my rig weight down while traveling, only bring my Lodge cast iron griddle.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #6

If Tomatoes are forbidden then how in the heck does a cast iron skillet make Fried Green Tomatoes taste so darn good.

When I was a kid the only skillets I knew were made of cast iron. The older it was the better the food tasted and just about anything one would fry would get cooked in them.

Makes me wonder how us older folks survived, breaking all the rules that are being published now, mostly by people who arrived on this planet a lot later than many of us.

As far as I know about the only cleaning method I know of that would really ruin a well seasoned cast iron cooking utensil would be to put it in the dishwasher.

As for using a cast iron skillet while camping, why not. When I was a kit we used a big one on the campfire and to clean it we would go to the creek, put a handful of sand from a pool in it, scrub, rinse, then set it back on the fire for a few minutes to let it dry. Same for the Dutch Oven too.

We also carried our own cooking grate until State Parks and Forest Service Campgrounds started to install grates on their fire pits.

That was back when "Camping" was "Camping"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Phooey on that. I cook ANYTHING on my trusty cast-iron skillet.

I think how (and when) you clean and season it is WAAAYYYY more important than what you cook. If your pasta sauce is so powerful that you starts to strip iron from the pan... Then I'm gonna need that recipe.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #8

I feel inadequate, as I've never really mastered the art of cast iron cooking. I pan fried some steaks that came out pretty good, but most times it come's out looking like a reject from a SyFy movie.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

hahahaha Wolf! An infrared thermometer is a good investment for monitoring your iron pan surface temp and keeping it from getting too hot. 20 bucks at HD or Lowes. TitanMike, I don't see green tomatoes (my favorite btw) breaded and dropped in oil will be a problem, but I can see an acidic tomato sauce simmering away doing a number on the seasoning, but I'm not making Sunday sauces when I'm camping!
Old 05-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
Head Rambler

If tomato sauce will affect your seasoning, it ain't seasoned right.
Done right cast iron seasoning is some tough coating.