Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #21
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The GMG has a built in probe and wifi that will signal you when it hits a desired temp, whether it's the grill or the food. You can also control the grill from your smartphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476286167.108371.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	122777

Pretty cool app! Let's me know when it is down a stage.

2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
Learning a lot as I go...

Picked up a Traeger Junior for a good price at a Costco Road Show. Looked at the "suitcase" portable model and just did not feel like the cooking area was big enough. Loved the size though: it looked like one of the very few that might actually fit in my front storage compartment.

Figured the Junior was the sweet spot between size and portability. I need something I can lift in/out of the back of a 4x4 truck to take camping. Sportsmans Warehouse sells this model with a bundled 400W inverter so you can power it of a battery when boondocking (I already had such an inverter so it was good to know this would run it). From what I understand the draw during startup is 300W and drops to 50W once the burner is lit.

First thing, during the initial burn in, I discovered how awful the design of the pellet hopper is when I ran it out of pellets with pellets remaining in the hopper. I have now added sloped walls to the 3 sides of the hopper that did not have them. A bit of galvanized tin and aluminum duct tape fixed *that* problem.

My next mod was to install nutserts and knobs for the leg mounts. Traeger sells a model called the Tailgater which is a Junior with folding legs. With folded legs it can sit on a table. Well with my knob mounted legs... I can just remove the legs to do the same thing.

Dittos on the Pelletheads - Index forum site.

Have not found the controller to bother me yet, but I just may not know any better. So far everything I have cooked has come out well. It added a nice extra to the bacon one morning.

I have seen a mod to add an inside liner to help hold heat better. This seems like a VERY good idea and I may give it a try sometime. I may also put bigger wheels on it so it rolls better but the jury is still out whether I need this mod or not.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #23

I have a Green Mountain and it is excellent.

However, if you want a smoker that is good for a one hour or so grill/smoke job, rather than a low long smoke BBQ over many hours, just use an old wok. Place some lump charcoal inside and a simple round grill over it.

Alternatively, consider buying a smoke gun for about $100. It will allow you to smoke anything and easily put any flavors like hickory or apple on your product. A lot of Chefs are using smoke guns to impart smoky flavors on just about anything you want a smoky flavor. Basically you put in about a teaspoon or so of wood chips in it...not to be done inside your RV, of course.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Green mountain all the way!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	122796
Old 10-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #25
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
Picked up a Traeger Junior for a good price at a Costco Road Show. Looked at the "suitcase" portable model and just did not feel like the cooking area was big enough. Loved the size though: it looked like one of the very few that might actually fit in my front storage compartment.

Figured the Junior was the sweet spot between size and portability. I need something I can lift in/out of the back of a 4x4 truck to take camping. Sportsmans Warehouse sells this model with a bundled 400W inverter so you can power it of a battery when boondocking (I already had such an inverter so it was good to know this would run it). From what I understand the draw during startup is 300W and drops to 50W once the burner is lit.

First thing, during the initial burn in, I discovered how awful the design of the pellet hopper is when I ran it out of pellets with pellets remaining in the hopper. I have now added sloped walls to the 3 sides of the hopper that did not have them. A bit of galvanized tin and aluminum duct tape fixed *that* problem.

My next mod was to install nutserts and knobs for the leg mounts. Traeger sells a model called the Tailgater which is a Junior with folding legs. With folded legs it can sit on a table. Well with my knob mounted legs... I can just remove the legs to do the same thing.

Dittos on the Pelletheads - Index forum site.

Have not found the controller to bother me yet, but I just may not know any better. So far everything I have cooked has come out well. It added a nice extra to the bacon one morning.

I have seen a mod to add an inside liner to help hold heat better. This seems like a VERY good idea and I may give it a try sometime. I may also put bigger wheels on it so it rolls better but the jury is still out whether I need this mod or not.

The Green Mountain is RV Friendly. Pine Rock installed a 12 v outlet on the side of his trailer and plugs the cigarette plug into. Very handy guy he is!
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The Green Mountain is RV Friendly. Pine Rock installed a 12 v outlet on the side of his trailer and plugs the cigarette plug into. Very handy guy he is!

Yep, we really enjoy cooking on the davey crocket👍Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476309196.945420.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	122818Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476309256.781792.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	122819

2015 ford f250 6.2
PineRock is online now   Reply With Quote