Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Traeger smoker / grill

Anybody have one of these?
Junior Elite (BBQ155) ) | Traeger Wood Pellet Grills

I've all but bought one "on order" but I'm wondering if anyone else is using one.
I seen the pinerock ' s had a table top version at the goshen rally and have come to find out they also have a free standing one at home.

I like the junior for the simple fact is that you can get the folding tailgate legs as an option.

anyone?

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
gonecampin

Have the lil Texas elite at home and LOVE it. Wish I had got one long ago. Just got the BBC20 portable and find it doesn't build heat very fast, slower to cook.

Kalispell, MT
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What pellets do u use the most? Or prefer?

TURBS

Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #4

They are not insulated....

Backwoods Chubby or a Stumps with one of these attached produced a MUCH better product and use less fuel..IMHO

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #5

The place where I bought my outdoor pellet boiler sells these. They have a customer appreciation bbq using these grills. I think they more than cover the cost of the food they give away in grill sales. These things are awesome. The temp control really works nicely so you get consistant temps, and pellets are easier than wood or charcoal.

Can't go wrong with one of those...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did you buy one?

TURBS

Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #7

I'm buying the green mountain Davey Crockett (tailgater size with folding legs). I have the full size GMG Daniel Boone and love it! Anything from burgers and dogs, to ribs and pulled pork is so easy and amazing to eat! Love the wireless remote with my gmg also.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Anybody have one of these?
Junior Elite (BBQ155) ) | Traeger Wood Pellet Grills

I've all but bought one "on order" but I'm wondering if anyone else is using one.
I seen the pinerock ' s had a table top version at the goshen rally and have come to find out they also have a free standing one at home.

I like the junior for the simple fact is that you can get the folding tailgate legs as an option.

anyone?

TURBS

I don't own a traeger (but by all accounts ive seen they are great units)

I did however just upgrade my green mountain Davy crockett to a new wifi version....

the first one was a BEAST, and we loved it (especially since it can run on 12v while your camping)

I haven't got a chance to really break in the new one with wifi, but it looks just as nice and if the wifi control pans out, will be my fav new toy!..(if you saw my big smoker with all the temp probe wires hanging out you would know what I mean..ahah..wife says it looks like a grill on life support)

I get mine from a local outdoor grill place...paid 405$ out the door for the new one ....and it comes with the folding legs already as well...

as far as pellets it seems to be a personal taste thing..i like the mixed hardwoods, apple, and cherry..

there is a whole nother "forum world" out there for us smoke heads if you really wanna get into it.. I frequent pelletheads.com
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
I don't own a traeger (but by all accounts ive seen they are great units)

I did however just upgrade my green mountain Davy crockett to a new wifi version....

the first one was a BEAST, and we loved it (especially since it can run on 12v while your camping)

I haven't got a chance to really break in the new one with wifi, but it looks just as nice and if the wifi control pans out, will be my fav new toy!..(if you saw my big smoker with all the temp probe wires hanging out you would know what I mean..ahah..wife says it looks like a grill on life support)

I get mine from a local outdoor grill place...paid 405$ out the door for the new one ....and it comes with the folding legs already as well...

as far as pellets it seems to be a personal taste thing..i like the mixed hardwoods, apple, and cherry..

there is a whole nother "forum world" out there for us smoke heads if you really wanna get into it.. I frequent pelletheads.com
Thanks for the info!
Just what I need...... another forum! Lol
I'll check it out nonetheless.

TURBS

Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I'm buying the green mountain Davey Crockett (tailgater size with folding legs). I have the full size GMG Daniel Boone and love it! Anything from burgers and dogs, to ribs and pulled pork is so easy and amazing to eat! Love the wireless remote with my gmg also.

I have the GMG Daniel Boone w/remote and love the thing to death. I picked it up this summer while camping on Oregon. The thing is simply amazing, and miles better than the old charcoal/wood fired smoker I used to use. I've made unreal pulled pork, wicked chicken thighs, and to-die-for (so the wife says) ribs on it. I smoked burgers for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I'm not sure a burger will ever see a regualr bbq grill at our house again. I can't wait to smoke a turkey for Christmas this year.
I'm seriously looking at that portable Davey Crockett for camping.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #11

Oh yeah, Turkey! While camping last thanksgiving, I smoked two 15lb birds on mine. One was covered with a weave of bacon! Best turkey ever! Your right about burgers too. I cook at a high temp when doing burgers or steaks, but they are still way better than my gas grill or even charcoal.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #12

If I was going to purchase a pellet grill, I'd likely go with a Louisiana Grill. I've been around them all and they look to be made a little better than the Traeger and GMG and can go to 600*.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #13

if you wanna drop coin like that there is mak, Memphis, yoder and rec tec too...there are a lot of options these days and the opinions run about as die hard as the diesel vs gasser debates!!

I stand by my GMG advice as a small camping unit....it will hit 550 degrees, has a sear plate, runs on 12v and is under 400$.....

no I don't use it at home much as I have a COLLECTION of grills including a Memphis and a rec tec....I like pellet cooking but some people don't like the smoke flavor....I hardwood smoked in a custom smoker for years......im older and lazier now and the pellet grills are easier to cook on...LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #14

I love my Traeger. This weekend I did 26 pounds of brisket, Smoked them for 20 hours, WONDERFUL. .Just finished left overs 5 minutes ago. I am sure they all do their job well enough.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
I love my Traeger. This weekend I did 26 pounds of brisket, Smoked them for 20 hours, WONDERFUL. .Just finished left overs 5 minutes ago. I am sure they all do their job well enough.
Mmmmmmm brisket!
You'll have to give me your technique on that if you don't mind sharing!

TURBS

Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #16

Love my Yoder,but at almost 400# a little heavy for camping.I haven't seen a smaller version yet.Love me some smoke!I use a mix of hickory and pecan pellets.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #17

This is the Traeger Jr we use for grilling/smoking while camping. I installed the tailgating kit on it which removes the legs and adds another set of wheels. It also comes with insulation for the bottom of the grill. I would never go camping without it. I use a Louisiana Grill for home use but chose this one for camping, I paid $299 for it at one of our local Costco stores. We make a lot of campground friends while cooking on it while the smoke pours out of it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	62936  
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
This is the Traeger Jr we use for grilling/smoking while camping. I installed the tailgating kit on it which removes the legs and adds another set of wheels. It also comes with insulation for the bottom of the grill. I would never go camping without it. I use a Louisiana Grill for home use but chose this one for camping, I paid $299 for it at one of our local Costco stores. We make a lot of campground friends while cooking on it while the smoke pours out of it...
Ty!

TURBS

Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Did you buy one?

TURBS

Not yet - I have 4 grills now - 2 for home, 2 portable ones for camping. Almost bought one last summer anyway, though. Thought for sure DW would say no way to another grill, but even she was sold on the Traeger. When I replace my smoker at home, that's absolutely what I'm going to get.

I'll probably get the bigger one with all the bells and whistles, but the Jr. elite you are looking at with the portable legs would be perfect for camping or tailgating and using at home.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #20

I have a Komodo Akorn. They sell for $300 at lowes. I never wood have purchased it just due to the price and not being a fan of mastergrill cookers. I won it in a golf tournament. I love this thing. It will hold good temps and uses very little charcoal. A hand full will hold 300F for several hours and a little more 600F. If anything happens to it I will buy another. You can smoke in it also with the wood chips. I have a Bradley smoker and will only use it for 4 plus hour smoking now, maybe not even then since the smoke portion happens in the first 3 hours anyway, wrap it and put it in the oven after that.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote