Old 12-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

What Go-To Cooking Spices Do you use?

I like to cook while camping and I enjoy making the kind of meals that most would only attempt at home.

I am building/restocking my spice supply box and wondered what kind of things of that nature that others keep on hand and for what kind of meals.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

We take the same stuff we use at home.

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #3

I save my empty small spice containers, relabel them, and fill with small amounts of various seasonings from my home supply before each trip. That way nothing gets stale over time. I have a small pepper grinder for fresh black pepper, that's a must, and a small jar of kosher salt for cooking. I have a little cardboard salt shaker for the table, those are practically disposable.
Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, anything else you use at home but in smaller amounts. I always have some of my favorite Greek seasoning around, mix that into some softened butter with a shot of olive oil, perfect for brushing on meat while grilling. On that note, small bottles of vegetable and olive oil are good to have, as well as some Pam-type spray.
I stuck some storage racks on the side of the stove hood that do a great job of keeping everything handy while cooking, just don't use those for storage while travelling or you'll end up with little plastic jars all over the floor. Trust me on this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_185107.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	158998  
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Salt, Pepper, Cinnaman, Cayene Pepper, Oregano, Paisley, Basil, Garlic Salt, Vanila, House of Q Rub, House of Q Peppered Bovine

These are the basics I get by with. But for baking and BBQ in cupboard space is full.
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #5

Seasoned salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, cinnamon, smoked paprika, dill weed, garlic, celery salt, commercial steak/roast rubs.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

I move them back and forth in a bin from house to trailer.

Salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt or powder, red pepper, lemon pepper, onion powder, sugar, brown sugar, all spice, season salt, pumpkin spice, vanilla, EVOO, pam.

Bbq is a whole other much larger bin that I don't share with the DW at home but I will take camping...

Happy holidays and good cooking!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

I like Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute, which is great on vegetables, in soups, and on meat. Grill Mates for steak, Everglades Seasoning, salt, pepper, chili powder, parsley, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon for basics. If I want to make a recipe that calls for other things, I will measure out the correct amounts for the recipe and put them in a baggie. Just dump with no fuss, no muss. I keep them in a plastic container with lid so they stay put in the cupboard.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

We get a lot of stuff from local meat markets for all in one type rubs
Penzys has some good steak and chop seasons that work on everything
Being your in the Midwest mad dog and Merrill the grilloigsist have some good multi use season too
Costco has a really good taco seasoning that’s good also
But yeah often I just haul a bunch of stuff out when we head out with the camoer
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #9

My favorite go to meat seasoning is Famous Dave's Chicken rub. Great on all meats.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Broken Toe

Bear in mind that 99% of what we cook on the road is grilled, so the spices I carry are different than the ones at the house (i'm not going to make a lasagna or soup when camping)

these are the 'musts' salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika. Montreal Steak Seasoning

These are the 'should's', basil, rosemary, thyme.

These are the "if you got room's', nutmeg, celery salt, italian seasoning, ginger, dill.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote