Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #181
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I didn't order a set,but it seems like several people who did had a bad experience with the way UPS handled the shipment.
All the poles that I've shipped since I made the first set were packaged the same way and this last batch was the only ones that have experienced this kind of damage. Most folks gripe about how hard the tubes are to open. I guess the easy way is the way UPS does it, just throw them against the end and let the contents bust the end cap out.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #182
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
All the poles that I've shipped since I made the first set were packaged the same way and this last batch was the only ones that have experienced this kind of damage. Most folks gripe about how hard the tubes are to open. I guess the easy way is the way UPS does it, just throw them against the end and let the contents bust the end cap out.
My tube had one end busted up. Nothing was missing, so I never mentioned it.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #183

My tubes had the wood ends, but the tape had been worn through at the tube edge. The damage may have been early in the shipment where one worker got more irate at having to handle the tubes and just started throwing them. I did get to show my kids how to drill out a rivet, so that was useful.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #184

Wow! I can hardly wait until mine arrive - if they are in that bad of shape for the people who are close to OC, I can't imagine the trip mine will have had all the way to Oregon!!!!!

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #185
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You should have had them done and shipped in two days iffin you'd have stayed off frf .

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Kinda difficult to lay out, drill, chamfer & de-burr 2100 holes, cut 50 2-1/4" dia pads and weld them on 50 poles, cut 50 4" wood circles, 25 shipping tubes, pop rivet and tape the wood circles into the tubes, load the tubes, print the UPS labels in 48hr. Lucky to have it done in 8 days. Oh, forgot, issue invoices, receive payments and go to Lowes for shipping tubes and on top of that take the allotted coffee/smoke breaks.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #186
NELA

OC,

DH says the first thing UPS will come back with is that your packaging was substandard/insufficient.

He says all you'll need to win your claim is pictures of Joe's package showing both ends; the one YOU installed and the one they did the weewee poor job of patching up.

Being in logistics he's handled a lot of claims with UPS and won with that evidence and said that since these are "nonconforming parcels" they're not supposed to go through the automated sorting belt system (making many 90* turns), and should be hand sorted by humans. He also says he'd ship FedEx *any* day over UPS.

Our tubes looked like some employees got bored and had a "javelin tossing" contest with them. Yep, the wooden plugs were busted, (they broke out at the pop rivets) but thankfully your duct tape job held them in place. Heck, I even noticed and showed DH how you hand shaved and fitted those wooden plugs into the PVC tube, before pop riveting them in place.

I can take and send you pictures of our tubes if you need them. Each tube still has the plugs in one end.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #187

If you need pictures--let me know. I'll send you photos too. Our poles themselves and hardware arrived in good shape but the shipping tube itself was rather abused.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #188
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
If you need pictures--let me know. I'll send you photos too. Our poles themselves and hardware arrived in good shape but the shipping tube itself was rather abused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
...I can take and send you pictures of our tubes if you need them. Each tube still has the plugs in one end.
Thanks, Joe is going to meet with UPS and show them the container, so they should be able to determine it was not insufficient/faulty packaging. They, UPS, wanted to take the pole assy also and Joe told them NO WAY!.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #189

I'm thinking UPS has gone crazy this time - here's the latest I've gotten on my pole shipment.

My guess is they won't be arriving tomorrow if they are still in Illinois!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ups poles.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	48031  
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #190

My stuff was all there and in good shape but the package was really beat up. Most labels were shredded, one end had the wood broken out and re secured with lots of clear packing tape, the other end was barely still attached, the duct tape was shredded like they dragged it across blacktop. They must have really abused it to get it so beat up.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #191

Awning Poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Glad you got yours undamaged. Some folks split them down the middle and use them to support the sewer slinky. Were the poles, etc all there and undamaged?
Old Coot

UPS just dropped off the pole set, opened and poles and hardware are in good shape, ( the tube is in good shape also).

Thanks,

Ronn
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
All you have to do is get some RED HOT degreaser and clean them, Then buy some Mothers polish and rub it on til it turns black then wipe it down, repeat if necessary. I polish mine once a year. It really doesn't even take a buffer elbow grease thats all......they will look like chrome... Takes about maybe an hour depending on the pole material some is rougher then others.

I went and bought some Mothers polish yesterday so I could polish the poles this weekend. Well...the urge was too great. I had to try shining at least a little bit this evening. They shore turn out purdy!

I have a question, though. I'm not very knowledgeable about alloys, etc., but are the brackets polishable, too? With their coarser texture I am a little bit hesitant to try polishing them without the more experienced feedback here.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #193

Yes they will polish like chrome also! I use a High speed wheel with different grades of Compound! Not just Muthers! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes they will polish like chrome also! I use a High speed wheel with different grades of Compound! Not just Muthers! Youroo!!

Very nice! I've never really done much polishing, so when you say you use a wheel are you using one that attaches to a drill or to a bench grinder or something else?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #195
Mod free 5er

A wheel on a bench grinder, but be careful and wear gloves. When I made my own, I polished the brackets when the material was in the flat(not formed). After they are formed the scratches were minor and came right out. If polishing like you receive them, you can only polish the outside surfaces and the top part of the inside surface on the upper bracket.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #196

They come in all sizes & Power,bigger Dia.wheels are needed to get in certain places,but bigger wheels require more power. Stand alone drill press or lathe is best. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #197

Got my awning poles on and they look great. Thank-you OC

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #198
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Got my awning poles on and they look great. Thank-you OC
THANK YOU, that's music to my ears after getting another one that was missing 3 brackets, hardware and a damaged pole assy.

Hope they meet your expectations.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #199

Question for everyone who has a set of awning poles from OC; and for those about to use theirs soon: when you deploy the awning and are using the tie down kit--do you secure the tightening bolt on the awning arms themselves? Seems like a simple question--I just don't want to bend or break something by doing it improperly.

Painted my bracket hardware this weekend with gloss white Rustoleom and they are a perfect match to the awning arms themselves. Going to paint the outer poles and the inner poles as well but only down to where it leaves about a 1 inch wide gap between the two poles when completly collapsed. That way I don't interfere with the fit between them.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #200
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Question for everyone who has a set of awning poles from OC; and for those about to use theirs soon: when you deploy the awning and are using the tie down kit--do you secure the tightening bolt on the awning arms themselves? Seems like a simple question--I just don't want to bend or break something by doing it improperly.

Painted my bracket hardware this weekend with gloss white Rustoleom and they are a perfect match to the awning arms themselves. Going to paint the outer poles and the inner poles as well but only down to where it leaves about a 1 inch wide gap between the two poles when completly collapsed. That way I don't interfere with the fit between them.
I don't know what others do, but I leave the tightening bolt completely loose.

Tags
awning, modifications