Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #1061
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Senior discount....brother-in-law deal......secret hand-shake!!! Drone, pony express, snail mail??
USPS Priority Mail, no discounts!
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #1062
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 12,253
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
USPS Priority Mail, no discounts!
I see.....now their collector items, soon to be seen on Roadshow.
__________________

__________________
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #1063
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I see.....now their collector items, soon to be seen on Roadshow.
Oc or the brackets?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #1064
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 12,253
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Oc or the brackets?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
Either/or
__________________
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #1065
Senior Member
 
DK-in-SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Did you get the poles from OC too? If not, where did you get them?

At first I just got the brackets from OC and I followed his instructions to use PVC electrical conduit to construct the poles. It isn't hard to do, and I tried hard to drill the holes straight but the finished result looked like I had my eyes closed. They were functional but ugly. When I saw he was back in the pole business I placed an order. They look so much better than the pair I made, and now when I see them I smile instead of cringe.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #1066
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 135
Pole end detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
Yep. I use these. I drilled extra holes every 2". Gets better adjustment resolution. I removed the acme style screw end part ( for the paint roller) and machined my own new end piece to attach to the brackets I made. You can always just drill a cross hole through that cast threaded piece on the end of the pole instead.
I too have the painters poles from HD and plan to order a set of brackets from OldCoot. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Can you post a picture of the special end you machined?

Do you leave the poles attached when you travel? Is that working OK?

Are the lower brackets sized OK for those poles?

As an experiment, I picked up a decent paint rolled and cut off the handle to get a socket so I had something to screw the pole into. But then I would probably want to unscrew the poles while traveling (roller handle is only plastic) and stow them in the pass through. Keeping them attached would be better as long as they fit into the lower bracket and don't bounce around.

What type of foot do you use on your painters pole?

I am working with the idea to fit a PVC female to 3/4 inch pipe thread adapter and a pipe floor flange. Gives about a 4 inch dia. foot. I could add more surface area if needed. I also saw somewhere a plastic floor flange. Do you think the foot needs to be physically attached to the pole?

Still working out the details so all information is helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
__________________
2015 Roo 23IKSS
2016 F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
Kanga99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #1067
Senior Member
 
Forbes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 585
Used the painters polls from Lowe's or HD, cut the tip off the screw into handle part and left the plug for support drilled hole thru it for attachment to top. Drilled holes in plastic handle for drainage. Used them while in FL for two months in 20 to 30 mph winds with out any problems without cross pins.
__________________
Forbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #1068
Senior Member
 
KDHfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 862
Awning pole hold down kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
I too have the painters poles from HD and plan to order a set of brackets from OldCoot. I have a few questions if you don't mind.



Can you post a picture of the special end you machined?



Do you leave the poles attached when you travel? Is that working OK?



Are the lower brackets sized OK for those poles?



As an experiment, I picked up a decent paint rolled and cut off the handle to get a socket so I had something to screw the pole into. But then I would probably want to unscrew the poles while traveling (roller handle is only plastic) and stow them in the pass through. Keeping them attached would be better as long as they fit into the lower bracket and don't bounce around.



What type of foot do you use on your painters pole?



I am working with the idea to fit a PVC female to 3/4 inch pipe thread adapter and a pipe floor flange. Gives about a 4 inch dia. foot. I could add more surface area if needed. I also saw somewhere a plastic floor flange. Do you think the foot needs to be physically attached to the pole?



Still working out the details so all information is helpful and appreciated.



Thanks,

Here's a picture of how I went about attaching poles with a "foot"... I didn't want to deal with straps. I used OC's upper brackets, but I remove them (the poles, not the brackets) for travel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428332141.341866.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	73225


2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #1069
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,183
I got a set of painter poles from Lowes (4'-8' @ $10.98) and hung it with the hole of the plastic handle. I then used a small paint pad screwed in the other end for my base. It is big enough to set on beach sand or a patio mat without poking holes through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	635.6 KB
ID:	73224  
__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #1070
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Here's a picture of how I went about attaching poles with a "foot"... I didn't want to deal with straps. I used OC's upper brackets, but I remove them (the poles, not the brackets) for travel.
May I ask why you don't stow them on the awning for travel? That was the whole idea of the bracket design.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, modifications

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.