Here is a copy of the installation instructions that were/are included in the package. Please note #3.
1. Remove 5/16 x 1-1/2 stainless steel bolt from ATDP bracket
2. Remove 1/4 bolt from motor mounting bracket on the awning.
3. Attach ATDP bracket with 1/4" bolt so that large hole is pointing out. (Recommend you drill an extra 1/4" hole in the arm using the bracket as a template and install an additional bolt & locknut(not furnished). Suggest using a 1/4 stainless steel bolt & locknut.)
4. Attach small end of pole in bracket and secure with 5/16 ss bolt & locknut (furnished). Suggest tightening to where there is a very slight gap between the bracket and the pole (1/8 max).
5. Raise outer tube up as high as it will go and tape it in place so it will not fall down.
6. You can mount the U shaped storage bracket flush with the bottom of the awning arm or up as high as 8 from the bottom of the arm. Using the bracket as a template, mark the 2 holes and drill for 3/16 pop rivets (furnished). Mount the bracket.
7. Using the U bracket as a template, drill a 1/4" dia hole thru the center of the outer and inner pole and secure with the pto spring pin (furnished)
8. Repeat steps 1-7 on the opposite end and job is complete.
The awning can be deployed with the ATD poles either in the stowed position or in the deployed position swinging free. If you deploy the awning with the ATD poles swinging free, suggest you replace the pto spring pin back in the poles to keep from dragging the poles on the ground.
I suggest you DO NOT TIGHTEN the bolts on the adjustable arms, but leave them loose. Once the awning is tied down using the small ratcheting cargo straps and Dirt Screws or something else, there is no load on the arms themselves or the awning tube other than the load from the awning material itself.