Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #161
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I just hope everyone is pleased with them. If someone isn't pm me and we'll work it out up to and including a full refund.
Coot,Just received the poles ( 1-set) this afternoon they look great and have reel feel of quality.

Thanks again
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #162

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
I started polishing my poles this afternoon using Mothers aluminum polish. The poles got scratched up a lot during shipping, but what little I have worked on really shines up nice.

Iowa: Not as bad as you picture it.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #163
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
I started polishing my poles this afternoon using Mothers aluminum polish. The poles got scratched up a lot during shipping, but what little I have worked on really shines up nice.

Iowa: Not as bad as you picture it.
Great! Maybe some 1600/2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper? I polished my ss exhaust tips with 2000 grit w/d sandpaper. Never tried it on alum. I just used a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge. (Dirty job)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #164
CCRVOC

Got home and found a sewer pipe laying on my side walk! Wow talk about a sturdy package! No problems with the packaging breaking. All the parts are present and accounted for. No extra parts.

Going to give them to my son the car painter and have them painted black. It will probably take another 3 to 4 weeks before I can install, as I have to get to Savannah for the paint! But it will be worth it.

Thanks OC, they look great !
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #165
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Got home and found a sewer pipe laying on my side walk! Wow talk about a sturdy package! No problems with the packaging breaking. All the parts are present and accounted for. No extra parts.

Going to give them to my son the car painter and have them painted black. It will probably take another 3 to 4 weeks before I can install, as I have to get to Savannah for the paint! But it will be worth it.

Thanks OC, they look great !
Thanks for the update. You must have gotten the only ones not damaged by UPS throwing them.
Suggestion, due to the tight clearance between the inner and outer poles, paint the outers and the 4 brackets black and polish the inner poles. Would look sharp. Afraid if you paint the inners, they will get scratched when you telescope them. Suggest you mount them first complete and then take them off for the paint. Less chance of scratching them.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #166
CCRVOC

Quote:
Thanks for the update. You must have gotten the only ones not damaged by UPS throwing them.
Suggestion, due to the tight clearance between the inner and outer poles, paint the outers black and polish the inners. Would look sharp. Afraid if you paint the inners, they will get scratched when you telescope them. Suggest you mount them first complete and then take them off for the paint. Less chance of scratching them.
Not too far away from NC I guess. I just read your instructions about the tight clearance. Good idea, that is what I will do. Good work on fabing the parts!
Thanks again.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #167
NELA

So how many sets haven't been received (and accounted for) to date, OC?

If no one gets a "pair and a spare" you may need TOWTA to go out and look for the missing pole in your shop for ya.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #168
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Good work on fabing the parts!
Thanks again.
Those upper brackets are impressive!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #169
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
...Now I have a question (actually Fritz's question):
What are the chances, with the anchor screws and the straps attached, that a strong wind would rip the brackets off the awning rails (and perhaps damage the side of the RV)? Have you ever experienced winds strong enough to do that? He says to tell ya he's not a Negative Nellie, just something that crossed his mind.

I've had ours out in 25-30 mph winds and it stays put. The only problem is the awning material flutters which I stop with some cord tied from one arm over the awning to the other arm. I now have some awning de-flappers that I have to figure out how to easily attach them to the arms so they can be removed.

SYE's wife says they will withstand a lot more. SYE, chime in here if you would.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #170
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
So how many sets haven't been received (and accounted for) to date, OC? If no one gets a "pair and a spare" you may need TOWTA to go out and look for the missing pole in your shop for ya.
Believe me, we've searched the garage, they are too easy to overlook and stumble over. About half have been received.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #171

OC...when installing the top bracket is it better to let the awning all the way out, or just a little way to remove the 1/4" bolt?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #172
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
OC...when installing the top bracket is it better to let the awning all the way out, or just a little way to remove the 1/4" bolt?
I left mine rolled up.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #173
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I left mine rolled up.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
I deployed mine all the way so it was a little easier to reach. Don't like climbing up a ladder anymore at my age.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #174

Quote:
I deployed mine all the way so it was a little easier to reach. Don't like climbing up a ladder anymore at my age.

I like options...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to cause any problems if I did it one way or the other.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #175
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
I like options...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to cause any problems if I did it one way or the other.
I added the extra ss bolt & locknut in the lower hole to hold it straight after attaching the stow brackets, mark the hole and drill.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #176
Mod free 5er

Well, the lost has not been found, but we now know that Joe's kit was the 1st shipped and was received with one end of the shipping tube a huge mass of clear shipping tape that wasn't put there by me. So, UPS must have thrown the tube and busted the end out and loosing everything but 1 pole assy and was too lazy to pick up the scattered pole assy, hardware & instructions. We are in touch with UPS to see what can be done to rectify their negligence. Could not file an online claim, so email was sent and expecting a call from them today.

Will keep you posted.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #177

OC.... nobody reeeaally thought that you put three poles in one tube and one in another....

Glad the mystery is solved. there should be standard insurance on the shipment by ups.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #178

My shipping tube was also very beat up, one end was secured with lots and lots of clear shipping tape. The wood cap had broken out of the rivets and someone had re secured it with a bunch of sloppy tape, not even carefully done.

Fortunately all the poles and parts were there. UPS usually does better than this. Could have been one bad employee that decided to throw them around.

Sad that you find people like this.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #179
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
OC.... nobody reeeaally thought that you put three poles in one tube and one in another....

Glad the mystery is solved. there should be standard insurance on the shipment by ups.
I didn't either, but with a major case of CRS, it could of happened. We'll see what UPS will do, they are supposed to call today. Hopefully they will pay the full amount declared and I can purchase material locally and make one pole assy, (already got the brackets made) and complete Joe's set. Sure didn't want to start making another pole assy with all the setup for drilling, etc.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #180

Quote:
Great! Maybe some 1600/2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper? I polished my ss exhaust tips with 2000 grit w/d sandpaper. Never tried it on alum. I just used a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge. (Dirty job)
Polishing is such a (Dirty Job) Mike Rowe passed on it! Did (Alum. Heads,Blower Assy,Ex.,and all hardware) for our Drag Boat (1) Time,Never agin! Youroo!!Our A Poles are SS for the inner slider.
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, modifications