Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #461
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
Anyone use aluminum conduit for support poles? 3/4" for upper 1" for lower .
Don't know why it wouldn't work. What's the wall thickness? Has to be as good as the painter poles.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #462

OC's Awning Mod Kit Pole Mod

3/4" 1.050 od. 1" 1.063id so looks like it would fit just have to make sure no burs in pipe. The only difference in aluminum and steel conduit i see is the weight which is aluminum is 1/3 the weight if steel
Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #463

Add a spring in between the screw in stake and the ratchet strap to give a little
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
3/4" 1.050 od. 1" 1.063id so looks like it would fit just have to make sure no burs in pipe. The only difference in aluminum and steel conduit i see is the weight which is aluminum is 1/3 the weight if steel
I used aluminum. ...worked fine...made a jig out of 3/4" mdf to drill the holes in the poles.....its a LOT of holes!!...I wouldn't do it again....id happily pay someone...ANYONE to do it....in retrospect I shoulda just got the poles when I got the backets....well worth the time I ended up spending!!

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
I used aluminum. ...worked fine...made a jig out of 3/4" mdf to drill the holes in the poles.....its a LOT of holes!!...I wouldn't do it again....id happily pay someone...ANYONE to do it....in retrospect I shoulda just got the poles when I got the backets....well worth the time I ended up spending!!

Yes lots of holes to drill but i have a good drill press so maybe it will not be to bad. Plus I have plenty of time Don't camp much in July and August.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #466

Drill press makes holes straigt up n down....unfortunately my ocd/add made me construct a jig so ALL the holes were exact on BOTH tubes linearly as well....i could make another set in 12min flat now though...lol...I made my son deburr and chamfer all the holes when I was done drilling. ..so I saved that part.....its not too bad....just a lotta work for some measley holes in a pole! ! Lol

Old 06-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #467
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Add a spring in between the screw in stake and the ratchet strap to give a little
I bought springs for ours. We have two awnings....so it's four springs.

Went thru *4* sets before I brought home the size/strength that DH thinks will work. Haven't tried out the newest "DH approved" springs yet.

I ended up with the type that has a long extended hook on each end.

Not convinced they're needed, but..... it puts my mind at ease thinkin' they'll have a little flex. May like 'em, may not.

Now I've gotta find just the right place to "offload" the twelve springs that aren't "DH approved" in his shop.

How many ladies can y'all think of that walk around with 4 big springs in her purse? (chuckle) Pulled over by cop, he decides he wants to check out my stuff; Well sir, they're for our RV. You just wouldn't understand unless you own one. That will also explain the 3 flashlights in there, they're for the RV as well.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #468
NELA

Quote:

Makes me 'ppreciate the two sets of poles we got from OC that much more.

DH drilled and deburred a few extra holes in ours...took 'im 40 forevers just for those. We also had to trim off some length on our poles for the dining table slide/rear awning, to prevent them hanging down by the tires while in the stowed position.

I'd love 'em if they had to be removed and stored each time, but the fact that he designed them to self store is icing on the cake.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #469
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Drill press makes holes straigt up n down....unfortunately my ocd/add made me construct a jig so ALL the holes were exact on BOTH tubes linearly as well....i could make another set in 12min flat now though...lol...I made my son deburr and chamfer all the holes when I was done drilling. ..so I saved that part.....its not too bad....just a lotta work for some measley holes in a pole! ! Lol
Kinda get the idea of why I ain't makin' 'em no mo.? Try it by yourself for 50 poles (over 2300 holes total to lay out, drill, chamfer, deburr, etc). Not to mention cutting the shipping tubes and dealing with UPS demolition delivery service.

BTW, I have never used springs on the straps. I don't like the idea of the "give" which is what I was trying to eliminate. JMO.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I bought springs for ours. We have two awnings....so it's four springs.

Went thru *4* sets before I brought home the size/strength that DH thinks will work. Haven't tried out the newest "DH approved" springs yet.

I ended up with the type that has a long extended hook on each end.

Not convinced they're needed, but..... it puts my mind at ease thinkin' they'll have a little flex. May like 'em, may not.

Now I've gotta find just the right place to "offload" the twelve springs that aren't "DH approved" in his shop.

How many ladies can y'all think of that walk around with 4 big springs in her purse? (chuckle) Pulled over by cop, he decides he wants to check out my stuff; Well sir, they're for our RV. You just wouldn't understand unless you own one. That will also explain the 3 flashlights in there, they're for the RV as well.
Our kids had a trampoline and I got rid of it when I found out Home Owners insurance goes up if you have an accident and stole the springs from it to use for this. I look at it this way if I get a big gust total restriction could do as much damage as no restriction at all, you know everything in moderation. I use this rule if wind can stretch these springs then its time to bring the awning in.
As for the flex of the springs when the wind is gusty you may hear a slight bang after the gust "spring recoil" 2 to 3 of these is when I put awning in. Usually I try to put trailer so windward side is opposite of awning.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Kinda get the idea of why I ain't makin' 'em no mo.? Try it by yourself for 50 poles (over 2300 holes total to lay out, drill, chamfer, deburr, etc). Not to mention cutting the shipping tubes and dealing with UPS demolition delivery service.

BTW, I have never used springs on the straps. I don't like the idea of the "give" which is what I was trying to eliminate. JMO.
No sir....one pair is enough (actually I have 3 poles as thats what I had material for).....My father in law saw em n said "oh I like that, can you make me some if I buy the material"....I kinda chuckeled and told him the jig/specs were in the shop and for him to have at it!!...I didnt feel like driling no more holes...he still aint made those poles!...hahah....

Old 06-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #472

I used these extension poles, drilled holes between the existing holes, installed a cut off paint roller handle on the threaded end and riveted the cut off handle to the threaded end so it would not spin off. I then drilled the cut off handle for the bolt to attach the assembly to the upper brackets. The pole was drilled at the lower bracket and a locking pin was used to secure the pole to the bracket. A friend of mine who works at a body shop covered the pole(which was yellow in color)with white decaling(paint chipped and scratched very easily) The pole also has a nice durable handle that can stay on the pole. Pole- Wooster 6 ft.-12 ft. Sherlock Extension Pole-00R0560000 at The Home Depot locking pin- Snapper Pin, 1/4" x 2-3/8" - Square Redline Hitch Accessories 14-238 I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.
09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #473
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the hold down poles?
I can see it for the manual type, but wonder about the electric "OC" style legs. Seems easy for a gust to collapse the legs (by moving them from vertical) and releasing the awning to flap.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I can see it for the manual type, but wonder about the electric "OC" style legs. Seems easy for a gust to collapse the legs (by moving them from vertical) and releasing the awning to flap.

X2...seems to me the poles are there to keep the awning from moving. Once you lock the arms down with the thumb wheels, I would not want any give in the awning during a windy day. JMO, YMMV.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #475
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2...seems to me the poles are there to keep the awning from moving. Once you lock the arms down with the thumb wheels, I would not want any give in the awning during a windy day. JMO, YMMV.
(chuckle) you guys sound JUST like DH. That's why springs have not been used yet. His words: springs defeat the entire purpose.

Me? I can't get my mindset off of "well wouldn't a little flexibility help prevent tearing something up if we're away from the RV and a big wind hits"?

So, the springs will be taking up space in the "everything else" drawer in the RV. Mark my word, some day they'll be just what we need for some other issue that comes up.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I don't think it defeats the purpose I believe if the wind reaches the point that the spring gives that much its time to put the awning in anyway. The spring is so you don't over stress the awning with the straps.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #477
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I don't think it defeats the purpose I believe if the wind reaches the point that the spring gives that much its time to put the awning in anyway. The spring is so you don't over stress the awning with the straps.
Have to agree with Herk,.
IMO the shock load with a spring is harder on the whole awning than the constant pull of the straps. If they are forecasting winds above 30mph, I want the awning in anyway so if necessary I can possibly hook up and leave. So far, never had to retract the awning.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #478

OC's Awning Mod Kit Pole Mod

If i were going to put springs on mine i would not bother to put the extra poles and tie down on. you already has gas powered shocks on so why would need extra springs?? Have saw to many already blown over the camper electric and manual that were not tied down. I will be tying down the electric like i have done the manual for years.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #479

Why could you not use a ratcheting cargo pole? There would be no drilling needed and you could ratchet the post to the tension needed.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #480
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The spring is so you don't over stress the awning with the straps.
This is the miracle of OC's design; there almost no stress on the awning material. The strap is on the bracket and the stress is almost vertical on the pole. The strap's job is to keep the POLE from moving.

Once the pole starts moving the awning will start flapping and the chance of damage to the awning "goes through the roof" (sorry ).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, modifications