Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #681
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Your wasting your breath, Only one way to do things and that's OC'S no matter what anyone says. I said it was your turn in the barrel......
He's just mad cause I made mine cheaper. 4 times cheaper.
4 times lighter.
And just as strong for its intended purpose.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #682
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Neither does galvanized metal.
Geeeze

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
What's up with the Geeeze thing? Don't disrespect my elder frieind.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
You two....gettin' catty.

Gonna have to put you in separate corners?
Like your picture under your statement. Hope the moderators don't take it off. Pretty funny if I say so myself........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #684
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Neither does galvanized metal.
Geeeze

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
What's up with the Geeeze thing? Don't disrespect my elder friend.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #685
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
What's up with the Geeeze thing? Don't disrespect my elder friend.
Oc's new name shorty Geeeze.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #686
NELA

Quote:
Like your picture under your statement. Hope the moderators don't take it off. Pretty funny if I say so myself........
WHY would they remove it? It's a cat filing its claws.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #687
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That's alright
Over time aluminum dulls and will oxidize and pvc will fade and get brittle.TURBS
Au contraire, the electrical PVC is made to withstand the uv rays.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
WHY would they remove it? It's a cat filing its claws.
who knows, they take post off all the time, It's a joke... The post of above mine say's back on topic in bold type. with a high jack sign. It's just people having a little fun that's all.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #689
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Au contraire, the electrical PVC is made to withstand the uv rays.
For so long.
Admit defeat. .....

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #690

True story. I'm camping in Marion, NC at the moment and was browsing this thread. During my PDI the tech said to not stake down the awning, which I can agree with if you don't use poles. But with poles I don't see a downside except for the fact that that I'm a klutz and would probably trip over the poles and ropes. But I digress...
So I was reading the thread and thinking about yet another mod. Well, I stopped to fix dinner and a thunderstorm came rolling through. Just lots of rain and thunder at first, but then out of nowhere, a lot of wind. I quickly retracted the awning, and watched out the window as those that had poles and stakes fared quite well. Mine never would have survived had I not rolled it in.
Guess this just moved to the top of the to-do list.
OldCoot - do you prefer cash or check?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #691
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
OldCoot - do you prefer cash or check?

PM sent.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #692

Old Coot, Put my kit on today and used the painter polls from you instructions, I took them apart and cut about 16 inches off so that when I story them back against the rails they don't stick down below them. My question is should I drill and pin the polls or does the twist lock work ok on them? One thing I also did was use a peace of black pipe wrap on the lower U bracket to keep them tight and rattle free. Thanks for the help, nice mod.
Also did some mod work on light in bathroom, moved switch out beside door so that you don't have to go all the way in to turn on light. Moved the city water connection down and outward to make it easier to hook up.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #693
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
Old Coot, Put my kit on today and used the painter polls from you instructions, I took them apart and cut about 16 inches off so that when I story them back against the rails they don't stick down below them. My question is should I drill and pin the polls or does the twist lock work ok on them? One thing I also did was use a peace of black pipe wrap on the lower U bracket to keep them tight and rattle free. Thanks for the help, nice mod...
I don't know if the twist lock will hold or not. I would keep a 17/64" dia drill bit and drill motor handy just in case they don't hold.

Glad they worked out for you. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #694
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I just used 2" and 1 1/2" pvc pipe. Drilled a series of holes in the smaller pipe and one hole in the bigger.......used a couple of hitch pins to hold it to the right height. Use a couple of rachet straps over the end of the awning tube hooked to a screw in anchor to the ground. Big wind comes up.....takes me about 45 seconds to unhook the straps....hit the button and roll the awning in. Pipe and hitch pins....about 20 bucks total.
That's the idea that started the awning poles, I just came up with brackets to make them self storing.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #695

Are y'all making these mods after the warranty runs out? Just wondering if attaching brackets etc. would void it.

n4uaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4uaj View Post
Are y'all making these mods after the warranty runs out? Just wondering if attaching brackets etc. would void it.

I just got 2 dog tie downs that you can hammer in the ground and then 2 ratchet straps that I attach from the ends on the awning to the dog tie downs and done. $25 and done.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #697
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4uaj View Post
The upper brackets use the factory bolts for attaching and you only drill (2) 3/16" dia holes in the lower arms. Nothing to void a warranty.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #698
Mod free 5er

Quote:
How do you hook them to the awning roller itself, like to see a picture if you have time to post one also.....
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC Awning tie down.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	62215  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #699

On my previous camper I had a "manual" awning and I had it flip over the top in wind..not tied down. Dealer installed new arms (ax $500.) and asked if I wanted the old damaged arms. Of course I did! Anyway I traded for a new 230 FBS Tracer with electric awning. I was impressed with OC's brackets, but not the poles. Remember those damaged arms? Well they have a pair of adjustable "legs" in the horizontal position with a knob that locks them. They happen to be the perfect length and size to fit OC's brackets. They have a baked white paint finish and would match any white unit. Mine has black arms, so I sand blasted them and painted them black. Only thing I had to add was a "foot" under each pole. With these there is no need to try to line up holes to put a pin thru, just tighten the friction knob. They are square aluminum and probably weigh less than painters poles or pvc tubes. Visited the dealer that replaced the damaged arms a few years ago and showed him what I had done. He said he had a bin full, of those damaged arms ready to take to the scrap yard. Look at someone that has the manual awning and you will see the ones that work (NOT the vertical poles, to big and heavy) Dealers that made these repairs probably have some in their scrap pile. I thought of making an offer to the dealer that had a bin full, but I remembered OC's experience when selling and shipping his poles ... not going to happen again here!
Klemintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #700

[QUOTE=Klemintine;695874]On my previous camper I had a "manual" awning and I had it flip over the top in wind..not tied down. Dealer installed new arms (ax $500.) and asked if I wanted the old damaged arms. Of course I did! Anyway I traded for a new 230 FBS Tracer with electric awning. I was impressed with OC's brackets, but not the poles. Remember those damaged arms? Well they have a pair of adjustable "legs" in the horizontal position with a knob that locks them. They happen to be the perfect length and size to fit OC's brackets. They have a baked white paint finish and would match any white unit. Mine has black arms, so I sand blasted them and painted them black. Only thing I had to add was a "foot" under each pole. With these there is no need to try to line up holes to put a pin thru, just tighten the friction knob.

Unless they are different from the ones i have for a manual awning they will mot work with OC's brackets. But you can make some brackets similar to his that will work. I decided against that and used painters poles. Might look better painted white but so far the tan color is just fine with me. I just need to cut them off about 8" to be even with the electric awning poles.

Tags
awning, modifications