Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #21

[QUOTE=northstar1960;1386464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post

all you have to do is type in 2006 ford 6.0 diesel for pages of issues Lawsuit Against Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Super Duty Diesel Engine |.

I turned down a ford 2006 350 dw 6.0 with only 30,000 miles on it a year and a half ago because all i could find about them was bad . and he was only asking 14,500. for it . gotta wonder why the price was so low and why the mileage was so low . maybe because it was in the shop more then on the road
Should have done a little more research, bought the truck and added 3-5K in bullet proofing. If the engine had never blown head gaskets or been chipped it is fine. You would be very happy if you had.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
i have heard you can spend 8 to 10 grand on bullet proofing them . new heads and bolts , egr and cooler , fuel/water separators and filters etc .
I bought mine with about 70K on it. It was the backup to an identical truck. It had never been chipped. I just had the EGR cooler replaced with an updated one. Replaced the oil cooler, (it was very clogged) and replace the risers. I had the whole system flushed, replaced the oil with synthetic and the coolant with the updated kind. Also replaced the very expensive air filter system with the version from the 7.3. The whole thing cost me 3K. I didn't do the head gaskets and bolts because it had never been overheated or chipped. The only other thing I do is continually monitor engine coolant and oil temp.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #23

My wife asked me the other day if I was going to order a new truck after the first of the year. After reading all this I think I will just keep the old 7.3.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #24

Buying a Used 2006 Powerstroke 6.0 - Diesel Bombers
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #25

It's not just tuned 6.0's that have HG problems. Seems like some hold up fine, while others go any way you slice it. I currently have an 06 KR CC DRW Towboss. She sits at just over 57k mileage as I type. I bought her with 38k mileage from a Woman who got "his baby" in the divorce. The HGs were blown and I used that to get a better price. I did end up putting 9k into it, but I'm still under 30k all in, with ARPs, O-ringed heads, BPD EGR Cooler, New Ford Oil Cooler, Aluminum Radiator, ELC Coolant, etc. I now daily drive her and don't worry one bit (not that I don't monitor my vitals anyway).

The 6.0 reputation definitely brings down the price and that can be a good thing if you know what you're doing and have the means to correct the issues upfront.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #26

In March 2013, I bought my 04 (April 04 build) bone stock, F-350 diesel dually, crew cab, long bed, already set up for a fiver, hitch and all. Had only 30k miles on it. First trip out with new fiver (12000 lbs), uphill, US 15 out of Mansfield, toward NY, boom!, intercooler gone. Cause, turbo vanes rusted in place. New IC and turbo. Ran like it should 'til this year, (3 yrs, now 45K mi) boom, turbo hose blew off. New turbo hose back on the road. Coming home, engine starts skipping. Limped home. Hometown Ford dealer installed new EGR valve, fixed problem, I think! Runs great now, although the wife's hair is still standing straight up from the "Booms". Looked at new Diesels for past two months, $70K. Whew! Guess we'll give our dually one more year. Ahaha. Told by mechanics, don't let them sit. Use 'em. Will do. Considering adding data monitor for boost, ex gas temp, etc. Whaddya think?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #27
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I really don't want to clog up this post but you should come over to http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/ for a ton of info and help. This goes for anyone else considering or already owning this 6.0 or any other.
For monitoring I use a ScangaugeII mostly but also like Forscan app for android linked with an elm327 OBDII Bluetooth adapter. The ultimate is VCMII with IDS on a laptop.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I really don't want to clog up this post but you should come over to 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums for a ton of info and help. This goes for anyone else considering or already owning this 6.0 or any other.
For monitoring I use a ScangaugeII mostly but also like Forscan app for android linked with an elm327 OBDII Bluetooth adapter. The ultimate is VCMII with IDS on a laptop.
Yup, Ford-truck.com is a great site, I hang around over there a lot.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #29

Powerstroke.org is another helpful forum.

I'm currently using an Edge Insight CTS2 for my monitoring. I've used their expandable system to add Exhaust Temp, Fuel Pressure and Coolant Pressure gauges. Definitely more expensive than the Scangauge or OBD2 Bluetooth adapter options, but it's what I prefer.

Herewego - You can monitor Boost through the OBD2 port, but if you want EGT you'll have to add a separate gauge either via a standard gauge or an add on to a system like the Edge Insight. There used to be a way to add sensors to the scangauge, but the company that provided the hardware for it stopped making it (from what I was told).

Between the forums that have been listed and Youtube, you can generally find out all the information you need. Then either tackle an install yourself or have your mechanic do it if you'd rather.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #30

Thanks guys and gals for your help. Very useful. My goal is to prepare now for the upcoming season, and make it trouble free. My fiver needs TPMS (already had blowout damage) and it will be good to go but my Dually, while running great now is worry-some. I checked out the Edge product, pricey but recommended by local diesel mechanic also. I like independent verification of parameters and the Edge will do that. Looks like thing to do. Thanks for the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum info. Went there and joined. Have been in the powerstroke forums also. All good info there too. Bottom line, can I pull my fiver with my 04 6.0 dually without breaking it again, even if I have to watch the gages and baby it up the mountains? Forums should help me decide what adders are needed for that. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
My wife asked me the other day if I was going to order a new truck after the first of the year. After reading all this I think I will just keep the old 7.3.
I'm with you 100%. My 97 OBS 7.3 4x4 CC SRW long bed runs just fine and Ford SVO did the trans years ago. I believe I'll just keep driving it. Been offered 20 grand already. No rust either. Sleeps all winter and has since I bought it new in 97.

Besides, been paid for for 15 years now.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #32

Sign me up for one
Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
In March 2013, I bought my 04 (April 04 build) bone stock, F-350 diesel dually, crew cab, long bed, already set up for a fiver, hitch and all. Had only 30k miles on it. First trip out with new fiver (12000 lbs), uphill, US 15 out of Mansfield, toward NY, boom!, intercooler gone. Cause, turbo vanes rusted in place. New IC and turbo. Ran like it should 'til this year, (3 yrs, now 45K mi) boom, turbo hose blew off. New turbo hose back on the road. Coming home, engine starts skipping. Limped home. Hometown Ford dealer installed new EGR valve, fixed problem, I think! Runs great now, although the wife's hair is still standing straight up from the "Booms". Looked at new Diesels for past two months, $70K. Whew! Guess we'll give our dually one more year. Ahaha. Told by mechanics, don't let them sit. Use 'em. Will do. Considering adding data monitor for boost, ex gas temp, etc. Whaddya think?
Riff-Raff Diesel performance has the best replacement intercooler and turbo hoses anywhere.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #34

My Ford boots were notorious for boom..popping off.. or bursting.. pure stock .no tune..25k miles on it I popped 4 off on my first 5th wheel pull on level roads between a Dayton and Columbus ..90 degrees and fun for a rookie..not..

After limping into camping world..one of there Mgr..show pity on my wife and I..and since he'd had a 6.0 for years..taught me a "shade tree mechanic trick"! Drill a small hole thru the stainless steel clamp and metal hot side tube..put 3/4" screw in and they can't blow off! Btw I'd had Ford put on a new boot just a couple of days before this trip!

End of story..another turbo funny noise loss of power etc. this time that new Ford Boot burst..4" under neath..out of site.

So I researched and bought RiffRaff performance diesel boots and clamps..check out some verified user testimonials.. 80k logged pulling over the Rockies etc..no reported problems to speak of.

I got them and 5k later..not one lick of trouble.. I've pulled 3 times over that mileage too.

My wife and I were on pins and needles with this truck ..when is the next boom gonna happen? Now we look forward to a more fun "adventure"

Enjoy the time that God gives us here.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 01-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #35

Do you still have the truck for sale?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #36

Truck has been sold.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #37
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Congrats on the sale.

Tags
diesel, f350, ford