Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

[SOLD] - Almost new Equal-i-zer 1200/12k Complete Hitch! Look

I am selling the Equal-I-zer hitch (completed with 6" adjustable shank, bars, helper, L brackets, nuts, bolts) - Everything you need to start using it ASAP.

New condition only used 2 times (seriously). 1 time was to take the RV out for a weekend (picture) and the second time was to tow the RV to the dealer we traded it in for.

$375 - No Shipping
$475 - Shipped (Continental US only)

The picture is the actual picture of the 1-time we used it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	99481  

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
Old 02-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

Why are you selling it? Where are you located?
Old 02-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #3

Because we traded our travel trailer in for a Fifth Wheel several weeks ago. I live in Corpus Christi Texas.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Also included are the urethane isolators for the L brackets, which cut down and neaely eliminate noise when turning.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #5

519.95 with shank or 453.73 without shank @ etrailer.com with free shipping
Old 02-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

Not sure if your just pointing out that I'm selling an almost brand new hitch for less..... Or if you interested. So its a great deal if you can pick it up and a fair deal if you need it shipped.

Plus I'm including the L bracket covers which are $30 on Amazon and Etrailer.

So that's a $550 package for $375.... That seams fair to me.

I guess the point is that I dont want to ship the kit, but am willing to at a cost, since its 100lbs worth of stuff that needs to be securely packaged.

But to make it even better, I'll take $350 if someone wants to pick them up.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #7

We bought a new 1000/10,000 Equalizer 4 point with sway control and used it twice before buying a 5er too. I'm on the East Coast ~~ NC ~~ and will be putting mine on Craigslist when the weather breaks. Good luck with your sale.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

Capt John
Any idea what you might be asking for your hitch?
I'm near Hickory, NC will be down on the banks juneish!
Looking at Ironcobra's but yours I could p/u, or less shipping at least.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
Capt John
Any idea what you might be asking for your hitch?
I'm near Hickory, NC will be down on the banks juneish!
Looking at Ironcobra's but yours I could p/u, or less shipping at least.
PM sent
Old 02-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #10

what size shank does it have?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

So I'm just curious IronCobra and CaptnJohn, did you not like pulling the travel trailer with this set up so much that you both went to a fifth wheel instead? I haven't pulled the trigger on a trailer yet and keep going back and forth between a toy hauler travel trailer with an Equalizer type set up or a 5th wheel. How big of a difference is there between towing the 5th wheel?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
So I'm just curious IronCobra and CaptnJohn, did you not like pulling the travel trailer with this set up so much that you both went to a fifth wheel instead? I haven't pulled the trigger on a trailer yet and keep going back and forth between a toy hauler travel trailer with an Equalizer type set up or a 5th wheel. How big of a difference is there between towing the 5th wheel?
Very good question. We started with the Travel Trailer we had because we thought we would only really use it as a "place to sleep" and not much more when camping. Also, we didn't really want to occupy our truck bed with a huge hitch and not much else. Plus the hitch costs about 2x as much or more for a fifth wheel. After buying our TT, We found out quickly that a small cramped bathroom/tub/shower, not really inviting living area, and a master bedroom that was extremely cramped didn't make for fun trips. Also, in the Deep South Texas country, 1 AC unit doesnt cut it. After walking through large Fifth wheels at a local dealership and seeing how much more space and storage you had and the availability of a mid bunk setup (for the kids), it only made sense to trade up. Plus, the dual AC units really were huge for us.

Now, from a towing perspective.

I originally had a Curt Weight Distro hitch even before buying our Travel Trailer. When we pulled the trigger on the trailer, the dealership gave us (what we thought) was a big discount (when infact it wasn't) on a Fastway E2 Round Bar hitch. It really had very little effect on sway and I didn't like the round bar setup. After reading all the reviews on the Equalizer Hitch (4 point control) I sold my Fastway and purchased the Equalizer. It was a HUGE difference and really controlled the sway during even strong winds (30-40mpg gusts).

Granted, there is a night and day difference in towing a Fifth Wheel (with the weight over the axle) vs a Travel Trailer from the rear. You don't get ANY sway with a Fifth Wheel, which in itself is a huge factor. However, the towing experience had nothing to do with our move from a TT to a Fiver. It was all based on the layout, space, and features.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #13

Great info IronCobra, thanks!!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Since the 70s we have owned from a 19' TT to 30'TT, a class A and all fit the purpose and/or budget at the time. We purchased a 28' TT with one slide to do some trips of a week or less. Then we decided longer trips were coming. Rain days in the 28'er just became cramped if we did not leave. I was not into another motor for upkeep and would have had to get my wife a new car as her Escape cannot be towed on all 4 and a trailer for the front wheels on that just sounded like more hassle. Additionally, there was push on the class A in heavy wind. So after much thought the 5er made the most sense to us. At 35' with 3 slides we have a full queen bed and like that separated ~ upstairs.

In the 70s I learned a lot about hitches and sway control after a huge sway that I was lucky to pull out of only losing 1 hub cap. I also pulled a friends 32' camper with his hitch ~~ one mentioned here often that I would never use again. I like the Equalizer 4 point with sway best. Nothing one can do as a TT hangs off the back which works fine. However, hanging over the real axel is so much easier to tow, much more comfortable to tow. I think much easier to hook up too. There are 2 drawbacks ~~ the hitch is more expensive than the equalizer and there are few 1/2 tons with few 5ers that can work. Going to need a 3/4 or 1 ton often (3/4 works for me). My F250 has a diesel and has enough power to pull a S&B house ~~ but all trucks have PAYLOAD limits which always limits long before the pulling weight is reached. There are 5ers that SOME half tons can pull though.

I would certainly NEVER go back to a TT after the 5er. And will never pull a TT for anyone again without an Equalizer 4 point. We do not need or want anything bigger and for us, not much smaller either.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
There are 2 drawbacks ~~ the hitch is more expensive than the equalizer and there are few 1/2 tons with few 5ers that can work. Going to need a 3/4 or 1 ton often (3/4 works for me). My F250 has a diesel and has enough power to pull a S&B house ~~ but all trucks have PAYLOAD limits which always limits long before the pulling weight is reached. There are 5ers that SOME half tons can pull though.

I would certainly NEVER go back to a TT after the 5er. And will never pull a TT for anyone again without an Equalizer 4 point. We do not need or want anything bigger and for us, not much smaller either.
I have a 3/4 ton diesel, which is why I keep going back and forth on a TT vs 5th wheel. My problem is, for a comparable fifth wheel to the toy hauler TTs I'm looking at (12 ft separate garage), it's another $10,000+.

And also, the more I study the numbers, the fifth wheels in the size I'm looking at have a good 700#s or more of tongue weight than the TT. I would think I'd be reaching the max payload of the truck pretty quick? I can't upgrade the truck again, as I just convinced the wife in November I needed this one as our 1500 wouldn't be enough to pull the toy haulers we are looking at.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #16

Quote:
I have a 3/4 ton diesel, which is why I keep going back and forth on a TT vs 5th wheel. My problem is, for a comparable fifth wheel to the toy hauler TTs I'm looking at (12 ft separate garage), it's another $10,000+.

And also, the more I study the numbers, the fifth wheels in the size I'm looking at have a good 700#s or more of tongue weight than the TT. I would think I'd be reaching the max payload of the truck pretty quick? I can't upgrade the truck again, as I just convinced the wife in November I needed this one as our 1500 wouldn't be enough to pull the toy haulers we are looking at.
Look on the pillar near the drivers door. It will give you payload or cargo weight on your particular truck. You can find 5ers with pin weights from about 1100# up to over 3000#. On a door to every 5er is the dry pin weight WITH options. Many 3 axel toyhaulers have a light hitch weight. Published hitch/pin weights are generally without options. The extra weight of a diesel engine will drop the payload some. There are reasons why a 5er is more expensive than a TH and the way it is built too. Floor plan is very important -- I would decide which is more important to what you want to do and decide on the TH or 5er 1st, then find the floor plan on that.... just my 2 cents.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #17

Sold. No longer available

Old 02-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Sold. No longer available
Marked [SOLD] per OP.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69

Tags
12k, equal-i-zer, hitch